[SOLVED] Is this a decent dedicated Streaming PC?

Solution
If streaming is your main priority, yes, Ryzen is better for that. I can't suggest a cooler until I know what coolers will fit the 3000 series, which should release soon.

I chose a Cryorig H7 for my 8700k and it performs well. It's going to be beaten 1 - 2 degrees by coolers that cost twice as much, but it's the best cooler as far as performance per dollar goes. It also fits current AMD CPUs, and I would assume they'll release a bracket for the 3000 series if the current one doesn't fit it.

The GPU affects overall image quality more than any other component, which in turn shows up in your stream. I would not suggest streaming content that starts with no GPU, or even a low end or outadated one (weak by today's standards).

I may be a...
No GPU listed, cooler is as bit weak, especially for that CPU (which runs hot), and Ryzen is actually better for streaming, though I'd wait until the 3000 series releases.

As far as the output end, I'd worry more about what software and settings you use to stream with, as well as your upload speed, which determines what streaming bitrate you can use.

There's lots of good capture tools, some of which even work well with streaming tools.

nickbg7n

Reputable
Jan 21, 2017
Would you suggest a Ryzen CPU then? And what would be a nice upgrade to the cooler I listed? And I was told you don't really need a graphics card just for streaming. I have a spare GTX 460 I could use for it if needed.

If streaming is your main priority, yes, Ryzen is better for that. I can't suggest a cooler until I know what coolers will fit the 3000 series, which should release soon.

I chose a Cryorig H7 for my 8700k and it performs well. It's going to be beaten 1 - 2 degrees by coolers that cost twice as much, but it's the best cooler as far as performance per dollar goes. It also fits current AMD CPUs, and I would assume they'll release a bracket for the 3000 series if the current one doesn't fit it.

The GPU affects overall image quality more than any other component, which in turn shows up in your stream. I would not suggest streaming content that starts with no GPU, or even a low end or outadated one (weak by today's standards).

I may be a bit biased where streaming is concerned, but it's because I'm very nit picky about video content I display to the public. To say it's possible to stream with X hardware is one thing, quite another whether viewers will be OK enough with the quality of it to actually want to watch.

Solution

The problem is, this review is literally a year old, and doesn't even show any current Ryzen model CPUs, so it's very misleading and outdated. The Ryzen 2000 series is much better for streaming, and the 3000 series will no doubt be even better.

nickbg7n

Reputable
Jan 21, 2017
Do i really need THAT powerfull of a GPU for the soul purpose of just streaming and not actually playing games? And would it be worth going for a 8 core? Or should I just aim for a 6? For the CPU

Thank you again to everyone who has responded.

If you've never streamed before, you have no idea how taxing it can be on the CPU, and if you use the GPU to stream, it takes away from it's ability to render the game graphics effectively.

Ryzen is better at multitasking than Intel, and streaming while gaming is technically a kind of multitasking. Just get the best Ryzen you can afford, but like I said, wait for the 3000 series.

Feb 12, 2019
I have the same question. @Frag Maniac I think your answers are focusing that the OP is gaming and streaming from the same PC. I don't think that is the case. If not could you explain a bit more why a dedicated graphics card is needed for a dedicated streaming PC.

I need to clarify. But why would a high end graphics card be needed? Obviously, with some CPUs an integrated graphics card is not included and you will need some form of graphics card.

Last edited:
I have the same question. @Frag Maniac I think your answers are focusing that the OP is gaming and streaming from the same PC. I don't think that is the case. If not could you explain a bit more why a dedicated graphics card is needed for a dedicated streaming PC.

I need to clarify. But why would a high end graphics card be needed? Obviously, with some CPUs an integrated graphics card is not included and you will need some form of graphics card.
Quite honestly it depends what level of games (graphically) you're streaming. I'm just saying with no GPU and a mere CPU with onboard graphics, your choices of what games you can stream become much more limited.

The other thing, the REAL elephant in the room, is it's just an odd build for game streaming. Below I embedded a video that demonstrates how even a mere $92 AMD 2200G APU can kick butt to the 630 onboard graphics of the 9600k.

The FPS you play at and the level of graphics settings you have to use in game has a LOT to do with how good a captured and uploaded video will look. Even more so with streaming live while playing, because for that, performance is even more of an issue.

Now if what you want to do is build what you can afford now and maybe add a GPU later, it would make sense to wait for the Ryzen 3000 series to see if it will have onboard graphics. None of the currently available Ryzen models have onboard graphics though, so that may be unlikely. A decent CPU is also much better balanced to a good discrete GPU, and they also have more Pci lanes than the APUs. That said, it's looking like the Ryzen 5 3600G may be a beast of an APU with a possible 8 core, 16 thread and perhaps 16 Pci lanes (possible release Q3 2019).

Last edited:

Ailfawka

Distinguished
Jul 27, 2012
Quite honestly it depends what level of games (graphically) you're streaming. I'm just saying with no GPU and a mere CPU with onboard graphics, your choices of what games you can stream become much more limited.

The other thing, the REAL elephant in the room, is it's just an odd build for game streaming. Below I embedded a video that demonstrates how even a mere $92 AMD 2200G APU can kick butt to the 630 onboard graphics of the 9600k.

The FPS you play at and the level of graphics settings you have to use in game has a LOT to do with how good a captured and uploaded video will look. Even more so with streaming live while playing, because for that, performance is even more of an issue.

Now if what you want to do is build what you can afford now and maybe add a GPU later, it would make sense to wait for the Ryzen 3000 series to see if it will have onboard graphics. None of the currently available Ryzen models have onboard graphics though, so that may be unlikely. A decent CPU is also much better balanced to a good discrete GPU, and they also have more Pci lanes than the APUs. That said, it's looking like the Ryzen 5 3600G may be a beast of an APU with a possible 8 core, 16 thread and perhaps 16 Pci lanes (possible release Q3 2019).

I feel like I'm reviving here, but this is popping up in search engine feeds, and its only going to confuse people tremendously if not sorted out.

Firstly, I'm pretty sure the OP is talking about setting up a dedicated streaming rig and dedicated streaming rigs aren't for gaming, the primary PC will be the pc used for gaming and yes that PC will require a dedicated GPU, but the dedicated streaming PC will only require a CPU with integrated graphics if it is only going to be used to manage the stream eg. encoding etc.

What you are talking about Frag, is more in tune with a one PC gaming/streaming setup, as One PC would be handling not only the gaming aspect, but also the encoding and what ever else.

so just to clarify:

Frag is talking about a 1 pc gaming/streaming rig
OP is talking about a 2 PC setup: 1 PC dedicated to gaming, and 1 PC dedicated to streaming.

TRENDING THREADS