Question Is this a decent starting gaming rig?

August is a long way away and there is a lot of new tech releasing in July. You should ask again just before you are ready to buy as there may be better options or different pricing.

However the first thing I notice is the 2 separate kits of 2x4gb RAM. Don’t buy separate kits, RAM should be in a single kit to ensure no issues and that it can run at its rated speed. Either go 4x4gb or 2x8gb kit.

I’m also not sure but I don’t think the VRM’s on that motherboard are really up to running a 9900k but definitely get more opinions on this.

What will this system be used for?

May 1, 2019
August is a long way away and there is a lot of new tech releasing in July. You should ask again just before you are ready to buy as there may be better options or different pricing.

However the first thing I notice is the 2 separate kits of 2x4gb RAM. Don’t buy separate kits, RAM should be in a single kit to ensure no issues and that it can run at its rated speed. Either go 4x4gb or 2x8gb kit.

I’m also not sure but I don’t think the VRM’s on that motherboard are really up to running a 9900k but definitely get more opinions on this.

What do you mean system?

May 1, 2019

What do you mean system?

For gaming mostly.
In which case I would make another change. The FPS difference between the 9700k and 9900k is very small for only gaming. However a 60Hz monitor is very low end compared to the rest of the system. I would drop to a 9700k which would be better suited to that motherboard and upgrade the monitor to 1440p 144Hz or similar with the money saved. The extra threads from hyperthreading on the 9900k are not going to be noticeable for just gaming, but the upgrade to 144Hz will be very noticeable.