Question Is this a dumb build? Recommendations welcome

Diaa

Distinguished
Oct 5, 2008
I build a new pc every 7 years are so, and I'm completely overwhelmed by all the changes in PC hardware.
Any help/guidance you can offer is much appreciated, especially if there is a smarter part from what was selected below.
Thank you!

Intended Use:
  • 4k Gaming (32" Monitor)
  • 4k Video Editing
  • Photoshop on very large files (300dpi wall-sized projects)

Storage :
  • Currently proposing 3 hard drives, but I'm open to suggestions on a better approach.
  • Samsung 970 NVME 2TB: Boot drive and drive for programs/games
  • Samsung Ego 4TB: Active Video Project Media, Scratch Disk
  • WD Red 10TB Drive: Completed Projects, Lightroom Catalogs , Misc. files

Budget/Final Note:
  • I'm flexible here, but I would like to keep it under $3,500.
  • I would also like to avoid water-cooling. If I overclock, it will only be minor.

PC Part Picker Link: https://pcpartpicker.com/user/Diaa/saved/#view=mjrZwP

DSzymborski

Titan
Assuming you can find one or wait until supply eases up a bit, it's really hard to recommend an Intel build at the moment over a Zen 3 without an amazing price advantage. And I don't say this as an AMD fanboy; I haven't needed a platform upgrade in any of my rigs since Zen 2 came out, so my last personal build with an AMD was a Phenom IIx4 about a decade ago.

There are also better power supplies for the money than something from EVGA's GQ series. It's not an awful PSU or anything, but things like Corsair RM/RMx, various SeaSonics, and the Super Flower Leadex III are all available at around the same price for the same wattage. I'd probably be inclined to go with an 850W PSU instead of a 750W as well, unless you already own the 750W. EVGA's PSU reputation is build on the series they had with Super Flower and SeaSonic, two of the best manufacturers, neither of which they currently make PSUs with. FSP, which makes the GQ series, tends to make competent PSUs, but not top-tier ones.

We do house a curated power supply list in the power supply forum (stickied). Like all lists, it's not going to be perfect, but it's hard to go wrong with a Tier A choice.

Diaa

Distinguished
Oct 5, 2008
Assuming you can find one or wait until supply eases up a bit, it's really hard to recommend an Intel build at the moment over a Zen 3 without an amazing price advantage. And I don't say this as an AMD fanboy; I haven't needed a platform upgrade in any of my rigs since Zen 2 came out, so my last personal build with an AMD was a Phenom IIx4 about a decade ago.

There are also better power supplies for the money than something from EVGA's GQ series. It's not an awful PSU or anything, but things like Corsair RM/RMx, various SeaSonics, and the Super Flower Leadex III are all available at around the same price for the same wattage. I'd probably be inclined to go with an 850W PSU instead of a 750W as well, unless you already own the 750W. EVGA's PSU reputation is build on the series they had with Super Flower and SeaSonic, two of the best manufacturers, neither of which they currently make PSUs with. FSP, which makes the GQ series, tends to make competent PSUs, but not top-tier ones.

We do house a curated power supply list in the power supply forum (stickied). Like all lists, it's not going to be perfect, but it's hard to go wrong with a Tier A choice.

Thank you! I'll switch up the power supply to one from the stickied list - I completely missed that.

I'm open to building this over time (buying parts as they become available). For example, I'm ok with the fact that I may need to wait until 2021 for the 3080.

Regarding your initial suggestion, would a Zen 3 be as fast or as suited for purpose as the build above? I had only gone Intel because I read a few reviews suggesting that their multi-core performance would be better. If Zen is better suited, is there a build you recommend?

Thanks again! I've read a bunch of reviews, but I'm having a lot of trouble understanding what would work best for my use case.

DSzymborski

Titan
Thank you! I'll switch up the power supply to one from the stickied list - I completely missed that.

I'm open to building this over time (buying parts as they become available). For example, I'm ok with the fact that I may need to wait until 2021 for the 3080.

Regarding your initial suggestion, would a Zen 3 be as fast or as suited for purpose as the build above? I had only gone Intel because I read a few reviews suggesting that their multi-core performance would be better. If Zen is better suited, is there a build you recommend?

Thanks again! I've read a bunch of reviews, but I'm having a lot of trouble understanding what would work best for my use case.

The AMDs right now tend to be better for productivity workloads. Until the most recent series, what Intel had was a slight IPC edge and higher clocks, giving them an edge in gaming.

We've got a lot of benchmarks in our review of the high-end Zen 3 CPUs here.

https://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/amd-ryzen-9-5950x-5900x-zen-3-review/6

Now, it's possible, depending on specific video software that you use, you might have something that has an added Intel benefit over AMD, but you'll likely have to find benchmarking that uses those programs or specific information to that software.

Your inclinations aren't bad at all. If I was building a 10900K rig, the PSU would really be my only source of disagreement from your build.

Reactions: MorganPike

Diaa

Distinguished
Oct 5, 2008
The AMDs right now tend to be better for productivity workloads. Until the most recent series, what Intel had was a slight IPC edge and higher clocks, giving them an edge in gaming.

We've got a lot of benchmarks in our review of the high-end Zen 3 CPUs here.

https://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/amd-ryzen-9-5950x-5900x-zen-3-review/6

Now, it's possible, depending on specific video software that you use, you might have something that has an added Intel benefit over AMD, but you'll likely have to find benchmarking that uses those programs or specific information to that software.

Your inclinations aren't bad at all. If I was building a 10900K rig, the PSU would really be my only source of disagreement from your build.

DSzymborski, I can't thank you enough for your help. I made the following changes based on your recommendations. How do you think this looks?

PC Part Picker Link:

�������������

Your initial build would work.
But the 3600 new list is not as competent.
Today, with the 19% IPC improvement of the 5000 series ryzen processors, the 5950x that is likely to be the strongest processor for your use. My only hesitancy is that it is new, and the ryzen introductions in the past have not gone as smoothly as one would have wished.

There is a problem with the case. It has only 153mm available for a air cooler. NH-D15 will not fit. Nor will many effective air coolers.
And, without good cpu cooling intel or amd will not turbo up to maximum performance.
Also, the case does not have a front 5.25" bay for your dvd drive.
Unfortunately, not so many new cases are including a front dvd drive space.

Do you have any other alternative cases in mind?

Diaa

Distinguished
Oct 5, 2008
Your initial build would work.
But the 3600 new list is not as competent.
Today, with the 19% IPC improvement of the 5000 series ryzen processors, the 5950x that is likely to be the strongest processor for your use. My only hesitancy is that it is new, and the ryzen introductions in the past have not gone as smoothly as one would have wished.

There is a problem with the case. It has only 153mm available for a air cooler. NH-D15 will not fit. Nor will many effective air coolers.
And, without good cpu cooling intel or amd will not turbo up to maximum performance.
Also, the case does not have a front 5.25" bay for your dvd drive.
Unfortunately, not so many new cases are including a front dvd drive space.

Do you have any other alternative cases in mind?

Thank you, geofelt. The knowledge in this forum never ceases to amaze me. I honestly don't know how you guys are able to keep track of so many components, compatibilities, etc.

I've changed the case based on your suggestions. TBH, I'm not too picky on the case. Anything with good airflow and (preferably) a clear side panel would be nice. I'm not too into RGB, so even the acrylic side panel is optional.

How does this look?

PC Part Picker Links:
Note:
  • I'm getting a compatibility error on my motherboard. Should I ignore that, or is there a board that you think might be better?
  • Should I pick up any additional fans?
Thanks again!

----

The case looks good.
You might use the NH-D15s instead.
It has the same cooling capability and price, but it will clear tall ram and is offset to clear graphics card backplates.

I do not know what the compatibility issue might be.
Likely it is warning you that a motherboard bios update is needed for a 5900x.
Not usually a problem, new motherboard stock will have the most recent bios already installed.
Some motherboards can update the bios without a cpu installed.
I do not think the one you picked has that capability.
If needed, install a compatible cpu installed just for the purpose of updating the bios.

Ryzen is picky about ram.
You might verify that the ram you picked is on the motherboard QVL list or that g.skil explicitly supports the exact kit on your motherboard.

Diaa

Distinguished
Oct 5, 2008
The case looks good.
You might use the NH-D15s instead.
It has the same cooling capability and price, but it will clear tall ram and is offset to clear graphics card backplates.

I do not know what the compatibility issue might be.
Likely it is warning you that a motherboard bios update is needed for a 5900x.
Not usually a problem, new motherboard stock will have the most recent bios already installed.
Some motherboards can update the bios without a cpu installed.
I do not think the one you picked has that capability.
If needed, install a compatible cpu installed just for the purpose of updating the bios.

Ryzen is picky about ram.
You might verify that the ram you picked is on the motherboard QVL list or that g.skil explicitly supports the exact kit on your motherboard.

Thank you!

I think I'm all cleared on the compatibility. I checked the Ram Configurator on the GSkill website: https://www.gskill.com/configurator?page=2&cls=1529635169&adSearch2=Memory_Type§DDR4,Capacity§64GB (32GBx2),&manufacturer=1524725352&chipset=1562579476&model=1562637168

Ok, final thoughts? Additional fans needed? Do the Tom's Hardware Gods approve of this build?

PC Part Picker Link: https://pcpartpicker.com/user/Diaa/saved/#view=mjrZwP

Last edited: