[SOLVED] Is this a good $1500(-ish) system? Is it balanced?

xxscienceboyxx

Honorable
Nov 30, 2018
Hello,
I'm building a computer, and I have mostly settled on the specs. Is this a balanced build?
Edit: I'll be using it to do some occasional video editing, blender animation, photo editing, and some old games (ex. spore and minecraft). Basically it's a computer that I can use in the next few years to explore and get better at creating videos and games and animations, before college.

Last edited:
Solution
For video editing (and rendering final product, especially in Premiere Pro) the CPU and RAM are important.
For Blender and other real time 3D rendering/modeling applications the GPU, RAM, and VRAM are important.

For gaming the kinds of simple old games you plan on playing you are more than overpowered so no worries there.

All in all, you have a good system put together.
The CPU is high core/thread count and plenty of power for video editing/rendering with GPU assistance from a 3070 it'll be fantastic.
Even with a lesser card like a 10 series (1070 or something used) you'll have good GPU assistance for this.

For Blender and other 3D modeling/rendering applications, GPU horsepower is king, and depending on what card you decide to use...

QwerkyPengwen

Splendid
Ambassador
For video editing (and rendering final product, especially in Premiere Pro) the CPU and RAM are important.
For Blender and other real time 3D rendering/modeling applications the GPU, RAM, and VRAM are important.

For gaming the kinds of simple old games you plan on playing you are more than overpowered so no worries there.

All in all, you have a good system put together.
The CPU is high core/thread count and plenty of power for video editing/rendering with GPU assistance from a 3070 it'll be fantastic.
Even with a lesser card like a 10 series (1070 or something used) you'll have good GPU assistance for this.

For Blender and other 3D modeling/rendering applications, GPU horsepower is king, and depending on what card you decide to use as a temporary card, your mileage will vary.

32GB is recommended.
16GB is just a little too small for the bigger things you plan on doing with the system.
While 16GB is still perfectly fine for the average user and gamer, it's not going to be the best option for video editing and 3D modeling.

64GB would be best, but 32GB is fine.
Don't do 16GB.

Make sure it's 3200MHz.
While you can go for higher speeds, you will get diminishing returns and overall for stability and compatibility it's best to go with 3200MHz.
Dual Channel of course (2x16GB or 4x8GB, whichever you can get at a better price)

I would personally recommend to stick with Corsair Vengeance RAM 3200MHz CL16 if you can get that in your budget.

In regards to the GPU, it would be better to get a card that has higher amounts of VRAM.

The 3070 only comes with 8GB which isn't a lot in regards to Blender and such.

Since you will be waiting to get said card anyways, I would recommend waiting until the 30 series balances out in the market, and you can snag a used 2080 Ti for a good price so you can get the extra VRAM.

And lastly, I agree with what others said, an NVME would cost basically the same, but be a better choice.

Be careful which one you buy though, not all NVME are the same. some of the more budget offerings use TLC NAND instead of QLC NAND and cheaper controllers and whatnot as well as not having a cache.

I personally have the ADATA XPG SX8200 Pro 1TB.
It has good performance, good build quality, good components, and uses QLC NAND and has a DRAM cache.

Here is an SSD tier list to help guide you if interested

Last edited:
Solution

Zerk2012

Titan
Ambassador
I couldn't really find the 3070 anywhere, so I was thinking of using some other GPU temporarily.
Also the PC is mainly for content creation.
it's like the processor you picked out of stock everywhere except amazon for for 600 bucks.

600 buck processor and a 600 buck video card if you can even find one your at 1200 bucks right their!

EDIT content creation really don't say much it comes down to specific programs used.

xxscienceboyxx

Honorable
Nov 30, 2018
it's like the processor you picked out of stock everywhere except amazon for for 600 bucks.

600 buck processor and a 600 buck video card if you can even find one your at 1200 bucks right their!

EDIT content creation really don't say much it comes down to specific programs used.
I was able to get the 3900x for $400 last month.
I'll try to get a 3070 at a normal price whenever it comes it stock. Before that though, I'll use a cheaper temporary GPU. When I get a 3070, the temporary GPU can be put in the older computer that my brother, mom, and dad use. The old computer has a 750 ti in it, and could use a better GPU.
Programs I will use are GIMP, Lightworks or Da Vinci Resolve, Blender, and maybe Unity or Godot.

Zerk2012

Titan
Ambassador
I was able to get the 3900x for $400 last month.
I'll try to get a 3070 at a normal price whenever it comes it stock. Before that though, I'll use a cheaper temporary GPU. When I get a 3070, the temporary GPU can be put in the older computer that my brother, mom, and dad use. The old computer has a 750 ti in it, and could use a better GPU.
Programs I will use are GIMP, Lightworks or Da Vinci Resolve, Blender, and maybe Unity or Godot.
And you wait till now to say you already have some of the parts. Either say that off the bat or don't post.
Not to be harsh but it wastes time.

I actually took the time to come up with a complete build with external back up storage for nothing.
NVME drive for OS and programs, SATA SSD for work that can be secure wiped when it starts getting full, 4TB storage for finished work and 2TB backup.

Edit picking through parts you can actually buy...........

I guess for nothing but this was it.

PCPartPicker Part List

Type|Item|Price
:----|:----|:----
CPU | Intel Core i7-10700 2.9 GHz 8-Core Processor | $279.99 @ Best Buy
CPU Cooler | be quiet! Dark Rock Pro 4 50.5 CFM CPU Cooler | $89.90 @ Amazon
Motherboard | MSI MAG Z490 TOMAHAWK ATX LGA1200 Motherboard | $189.99 @ Amazon
Memory | G.Skill Ripjaws V Series 32 GB (2 x 16 GB) DDR4-3200 CL16 Memory | $127.99 @ Newegg
Storage | Samsung 860 Evo 500 GB 2.5" Solid State Drive | $54.99 @ Adorama
Storage | Western Digital SN750 500 GB M.2-2280 NVME Solid State Drive | $64.98 @ Amazon
Storage | Western Digital Black 4 TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive | $139.99 @ Amazon
Video Card | MSI GeForce GTX 1660 Ti 6 GB VENTUS XS OC Video Card | $289.98 @ Newegg
Case | Fractal Design Meshify C ATX Mid Tower Case | $78.98 @ Newegg
Power Supply | Super Flower Leadex III Gold 650 W 80+ Gold Certified Fully Modular ATX Power Supply | $119.99 @ Amazon
External Storage | Western Digital WD_BLACK P10 2 TB External Hard Drive | $69.98 @ Amazon
| Prices include shipping, taxes, rebates, and discounts |
| Total (before mail-in rebates) | $1526.76
| Mail-in rebates | -$20.00
| Total | $1506.76
| Generated by PCPartPicker 2020-12-23 19:41 EST-0500 |

xxscienceboyxx

Honorable
Nov 30, 2018
And you wait till now to say you already have some of the parts. Either say that off the bat or don't post.
Not to be harsh but it wastes time.

I actually took the time to come up with a complete build with external back up storage for nothing.
NVME drive for OS and programs, SATA SSD for work that can be secure wiped when it starts getting full, 4TB storage for finished work and 2TB backup.

Edit picking through parts you can actually buy...........

I guess for nothing but this was it.
Sorry.
I guess I could've specified in the post that I already had some of the parts.

TRENDING THREADS