Is this a good budget pc

Kiertan

Prominent
Jul 10, 2017
Hey guys, been wanting to get into pc gaming for a while but i don't really know a lot about components so i decided to go for a already built system

Found one for 310 with the following specs

Intel i3 2120 @ 3.30 ghz
8gb Ram
Nvidia GTX 1050
500 psu
Windows 10
500 GB hard drive

Would this be okay for some light gaming and okay for possible upgrades later on in the future

Thanks for any replies in advance

Solution

even if you plan on updating...
https://pcpartpicker.com/user/LORDPrometheus/saved/gbDD3C

Beter option i threw together fast.

The problem with what you have there is you are taking a cpu from 2011! that cpu is simply not a good value. getting something like an I3 6100 or I3 7100 would be a much better option. Though my current recommendation is to wait a moth or so until Ryzen 3 releases and get a system for a similar price using one of those cpus. that should be about double the performance for a similar price

310 what? Dollars? Euros? Pesos? : P

If we're talking US dollars, I don't think it's actually a bad price. If you're building a system, a copy of Windows alone will tend to set you back around $90, and that's about a $110 graphics card as well. It's not likely that you could build a better system for around the same cost. The build LORDPrometheus listed would be technically "better", but it would also cost over $500 once a copy of Windows is factored in.

The CPU might be somewhat dated, though Intel hasn't exactly improved their CPUs massively over the last 5 or so years. Its gaming performance likely won't be much worse than the AMD FX processors you still see put into some entry-level systems though, and it should only be around 25-35% slower than the G4560s that have been getting put into a lot of entry-level gaming systems lately. Some of the most CPU-demanding games might choke, and you may have to put up with 30fps in some titles, but a GTX 1050 isn't going to be able to manage 60fps in many of those newer games anyway. There is some room to upgrade the processor, and with the processor architecture being a bit older now, you can find a used i7-2600 for around $120 at this point, which would double the cores and threads, and bring per-core performance closer to current generation processors.

I do agree that if you decided you were willing to pay more, waiting a bit for AMD's new lower-end CPUs to launch might be a good idea. Those will supposedly be launching about a week from now, and will probably make for a better option for a gaming build than an i3 processor.

Kiertan

Prominent
Jul 10, 2017
Yeah sorry forgot to say it's £310 (Great British Pound/ about $402 US Dollars) i realise that building a pc would be cheaper but my knowledge on building my own is terrible as is my knowledge on parts (i'm just relying on internet sources really) just thought that it would be good to get something like this for a relativly cheap price and upgrade it when i get a bit more money and know what i'm doing so the cpu wouldn't be there for long hopefully. I'm not really looking for really intensive gaming or AAA titles just games that i wouldn't normally play on Console (Arma, PUBG etc..) and graphics don't really bother as long as i can get a decent playable experience at least at 30 fps i'm happy really

even if you plan on updating the CPU in the future you would be limited to any 2nd or 3rd generation intel CPU's. anything higher then a 3rd generation and you would be replacing the motherboard and ram along with the CPU

Solution