[SOLVED] Is this a good build for a while

FatatSteel

Commendable
BANNED
Apr 6, 2020
So i chose this build because i gave up on the 3000x series and want something now because I have nothing. My budget is 1000 right now but will upgrade to the next intel cpu and gpu later on. Take a look at the parts and lmk if its a good fit and a nice collection.

PCPartPicker Part List: https://pcpartpicker.com/list/jCdRvf

CPU: AMD Ryzen 5 3600XT 3.8 GHz 6-Core Processor ($233.33 @ Amazon)
Motherboard: MSI MPG B550 GAMING PLUS ATX AM4 Motherboard ($149.99 @ B&H)
Memory: G.Skill Trident Z Neo 16 GB (2 x 8 GB) DDR4-3600 CL16 Memory ($104.99 @ Newegg)
Storage: Samsung 970 Evo 500 GB M.2-2280 NVME Solid State Drive ($69.00 @ Amazon)
Storage: Western Digital Caviar Blue 1 TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive ($44.99 @ Adorama)
Video Card: MSI GeForce GTX 1660 SUPER 6 GB GAMING X Video Card ($264.99 @ Best Buy)
Case: Fractal Design Meshify C ATX Mid Tower Case ($86.92 @ Amazon)
Power Supply: Corsair CXM 650 W 80+ Bronze Certified Semi-modular ATX Power Supply ($94.99 @ Amazon)
Total: $1049.20
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2020-11-11 16:41 EST-0500

Solution
Antec has been an enthusiast hardware brand longer than 90% of the brands you see today. They started out in Fremont, CA, not far from where I lived at the time, in 1986. Now they are worldwide. They have not been a preferred company of mine however for quite a long time because for the longest time they lagged behind, refusing to bring their products into the modern world and incorporate modern features. Especially in their cases, which is where they really originally made a name for themselves.

Then, instead of innovating, over the last few years they've mostly just been guilty of shamelessly copying other companies designs. I don't send any of my business their way since probably at least 2012 or so.

That unit is based on the...
I think you mean you gave up on the 5000 series, not the 3000 series. The 3600XT "IS" the 3000 series.

And that build looks perfectly fine as a middle of the road mainstream machine. Everything is suitably matched to everything else. The only thing even remotely questionable is the quality of the power supply, but even that would suffice for now if it's the best you can do. I'd try to get something higher quality if it were my system or for one of my clients.

FatatSteel

Commendable
BANNED
Apr 6, 2020
I think you mean you gave up on the 5000 series, not the 3000 series. The 3600XT "IS" the 3000 series.

And that build looks perfectly fine as a middle of the road mainstream machine. Everything is suitably matched to everything else. The only thing even remotely questionable is the quality of the power supply, but even that would suffice for now if it's the best you can do. I'd try to get something higher quality if it were my system or for one of my clients.

Haha I meant the 3000 series gpus they are no where to be found
I say I would use this for about 1-2 years then upgrade a lot of the parts. Do you think its a good idea?

FatatSteel

Commendable
BANNED
Apr 6, 2020
What resolution are you wanting to game at?

What quality settings do you intend to be capable of at that resolution?

What is the refresh rate of the monitor you will be using and what model is it?
at first 1080p and then high - ultra and 75hz for now
All of my monitors and hardware will be beginner then in about a year when I'm saved up I will start upgrading

Antec has been an enthusiast hardware brand longer than 90% of the brands you see today. They started out in Fremont, CA, not far from where I lived at the time, in 1986. Now they are worldwide. They have not been a preferred company of mine however for quite a long time because for the longest time they lagged behind, refusing to bring their products into the modern world and incorporate modern features. Especially in their cases, which is where they really originally made a name for themselves.

Then, instead of innovating, over the last few years they've mostly just been guilty of shamelessly copying other companies designs. I don't send any of my business their way since probably at least 2012 or so.

That unit is based on the Seasonic Focus platform, but the Focus platform has some shortcomings however it is still a really decent choice and as Archaic mentioned, it's better than the CXm for sure.

If you can afford 95 dollars for the Earthwatts Gold Pro or Focus units, I'd scrape up another ten bucks and get the Focus plus, which has legitimate improvements in some areas and is a moderately better unit. But any of them will work and there are no other units within arms length of the price of these units that are currently as good AND available.

PCPartPicker Part List

Power Supply: SeaSonic FOCUS Plus Gold 650 W 80+ Gold Certified Fully Modular ATX Power Supply ($104.01 @ Amazon)
Total: $104.01
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2020-11-12 00:55 EST-0500

For 1080p, that configuration will be just fine. Very good in fact.

Solution

TRENDING THREADS