Question is this a good build for gaming / content-creation? (4k€)

mxritz

Honorable
Feb 2, 2019
Hey everyone, so I desperatly need a new pc and spent the last week researching and looking for mid to high-end build.

Here are my components:
https://pcpartpicker.com/list/846tgb

I would use this for both gaming and content-creation (I go to uni and work a lot with 3D-Programs like Blender/Maya and C4D also whole Adobe Creative cloud ( video editing- design etc.)

• choose to go for a 3080ti since I have a ultra-wide monitor 3840 * 2160.
  • intel i7 12th generation and corresponding DDR4 motherboard (dont want DDR5 because its hella expensive).
  • RAM is 4000mhz cl-18 because I was told it allows me to get best performance out of 12th gen alder-lake.
  • 3 ssds for storage / games / and one pcie 4 gen as main drive.
  • I wanted to go with a nzxt h510 flow case, but the suprim x with aio installed on front wont fit (I think).

Also I was wondering if a Asus TUF 3080ti (which is smaller then the msi suprim x 3080ti) would fit into the NZXT h510 flow (where I swap out the 120mm * 3 AIO to a 140mm * 2 AIO). However im uncertain on what would be a better choice?
The only thing that is missing is the PSU, since I dont know if I should go for a 1000w or 850w PSU? Maybe you guys can help me out here (good recommendations)?

Sorry for long question. Thanks in advance! :)

850w psu will work. The difference between 4000mhz RAM and 3600 is slim to none with the biggest difference being the price and it's easier to set your timings with 3600mhz. I can think of a dozen cases off the top of my head that have better airflow than that NZXT case. What country are you located?

Reactions: mxritz

mxritz

Honorable
Feb 2, 2019
850w psu will work. The difference between 4000mhz RAM and 3600 is slim to none with the biggest difference being the price and it's easier to set your timings with 3600mhz. I can think of a dozen cases off the top of my head that have better airflow than that NZXT case. What country are you located?
hey, I live in austria (so, no newegg :c ) . I really like the design/ look of the case and with 6/7 fans the airflow shouldnt be too bad, right?

Reactions: Why_Me

mxritz

Honorable
Feb 2, 2019
unless, what are some cases you would recommend?

Karadjgne

Titan
Ambassador
and with 6/7 fans the airflow shouldnt be too bad, right?
No. That series of cases suffers badly for airflow. It's been tested multiple ways to Sunday and there's one overwhelming conclusion. A full negative pressure system, absolutely No intake fans, only the 2x rear/top rear fans is by far the best case scenario. That allows the gpu to pull air from the pci slots in the rear and allows interior vacuum to pull air from everywhere. If using an aio or intake fans, that upsets the pressure system and the gpu cooks. There's simply not enough airflow through the front of the case to supply enough to the gpu otherwise.

mxritz

Honorable
Feb 2, 2019
No. That series of cases suffers badly for airflow. It's been tested multiple ways to Sunday and there's one overwhelming conclusion. A full negative pressure system, absolutely No intake fans, only the 2x rear/top rear fans is by far the best case scenario. That allows the gpu to pull air from the pci slots in the rear and allows interior vacuum to pull air from everywhere. If using an aio or intake fans, that upsets the pressure system and the gpu cooks. There's simply not enough airflow through the front of the case to supply enough to the gpu otherwise.
ok hmmm, thats a bit unfortunate. is there any case you would recommend?

mxritz

Honorable
Feb 2, 2019
thank you! I think 4000d is too small. gpu length + aio thickness (if I install it upfront) would be 336mm. Ill probably go with the 5000d.
for the PSU do you have any recommendatios for that? and other then that is the build good or can I improve something.

mxritz

Honorable
Feb 2, 2019
is the kraken z73 overpriced? or just bad in general?

Karadjgne

Titan
Ambassador
The nzxt Kraken series is basically the bar to beat. There's less than a handful of companies that actually make rads, and even fewer companies that make the pumps, and nzxt is literally in the same building as Asetek, who makes the majority of their pumps, custom. The krackens use a variable speed pump, not a fixed speed, so unless you are at maximum output, they are very quiet. Nzxt also uses very good stock fans for rads, unlike most companies who just slap on some ok airflow fans and call it a day. End result is nzxt is almost always up at the top of the chart in every catagory.

Their biggest competition is Arctic, the 240mm/280mm are fantastic aios, especially for their price, and Arctic fans used are better than average. Combined with the custom pump fan header (yes it actually does help with vrm temps) and low price, they almost always end up at #1. The 360mm is somewhat lackluster, generally not showing much improvement over the 280mm, but that's not that surprising since very few tests are gone to match the 360mm capacity. Most cpus falling into the 240mm/280mm capacity.

Don't mistake capacity for ability. A 240mm is generally good for upto 250w, a 280mm for 300w, and a 360mm for 350w worth of cpu output.

Reactions: mxritz and Why_Me
PCPartPicker Part List

CPU: Intel Core i7-12700K 3.6 GHz 12-Core Processor (€446.80 @ Amazon Deutschland)
CPU Cooler: ARCTIC Liquid Freezer II 280 72.8 CFM Liquid CPU Cooler (€85.36 @ Amazon Deutschland)
Motherboard: MSI MAG Z690 TOMAHAWK WIFI DDR4 ATX LGA1700 Motherboard (€270.05 @ Amazon Deutschland)
Memory: Corsair Vengeance LPX 32 GB (2 x 16 GB) DDR4-3600 CL16 Memory (€171.67 @ Amazon Deutschland)
Storage: Samsung 980 Pro 500 GB M.2-2280 NVME Solid State Drive (€109.00 @ Amazon Deutschland)
Storage: Samsung 970 Evo Plus 1 TB M.2-2280 NVME Solid State Drive (€107.87 @ Amazon Deutschland)
Storage: Samsung 970 EVO Plus 2 TB M.2-2280 NVME Solid State Drive (€264.94 @ Amazon Deutschland)
Video Card: Asus GeForce RTX 3080 Ti 12 GB TUF GAMING OC Video Card (€1679.00 @ Amazon Deutschland)
Case: Phanteks Eclipse P500A D-RGB ATX Mid Tower Case (€159.99 @ Amazon Deutschland)
Power Supply: SeaSonic FOCUS GX 850 W 80+ Gold Certified Fully Modular ATX Power Supply (€116.37 @ Amazon Deutschland)
Total: €3411.05
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2022-03-14 18:02 CET+0100

mxritz

Honorable
Feb 2, 2019
PCPartPicker Part List

CPU: Intel Core i7-12700K 3.6 GHz 12-Core Processor (€446.80 @ Amazon Deutschland)
CPU Cooler: ARCTIC Liquid Freezer II 280 72.8 CFM Liquid CPU Cooler (€85.36 @ Amazon Deutschland)
Motherboard: MSI MAG Z690 TOMAHAWK WIFI DDR4 ATX LGA1700 Motherboard (€270.05 @ Amazon Deutschland)
Memory: Corsair Vengeance LPX 32 GB (2 x 16 GB) DDR4-3600 CL16 Memory (€171.67 @ Amazon Deutschland)
Storage: Samsung 980 Pro 500 GB M.2-2280 NVME Solid State Drive (€109.00 @ Amazon Deutschland)
Storage: Samsung 970 Evo Plus 1 TB M.2-2280 NVME Solid State Drive (€107.87 @ Amazon Deutschland)
Storage: Samsung 970 EVO Plus 2 TB M.2-2280 NVME Solid State Drive (€264.94 @ Amazon Deutschland)
Video Card: Asus GeForce RTX 3080 Ti 12 GB TUF GAMING OC Video Card (€1679.00 @ Amazon Deutschland)
Case: Phanteks Eclipse P500A D-RGB ATX Mid Tower Case (€159.99 @ Amazon Deutschland)
Power Supply: SeaSonic FOCUS GX 850 W 80+ Gold Certified Fully Modular ATX Power Supply (€116.37 @ Amazon Deutschland)
Total: €3411.05
Generated by PCPartPicker 2022-03-14 18:02 CET+0100
The nzxt Kraken series is basically the bar to beat. There's less than a handful of companies that actually make rads, and even fewer companies that make the pumps, and nzxt is literally in the same building as Asetek, who makes the majority of their pumps, custom. The krackens use a variable speed pump, not a fixed speed, so unless you are at maximum output, they are very quiet. Nzxt also uses very good stock fans for rads, unlike most companies who just slap on some ok airflow fans and call it a day. End result is nzxt is almost always up at the top of the chart in every catagory.

Their biggest competition is Arctic, the 240mm/280mm are fantastic aios, especially for their price, and Arctic fans used are better than average. Combined with the custom pump fan header (yes it actually does help with vrm temps) and low price, they almost always end up at #1. The 360mm is somewhat lackluster, generally not showing much improvement over the 280mm, but that's not that surprising since very few tests are gone to match the 360mm capacity. Most cpus falling into the 240mm/280mm capacity.

Don't mistake capacity for ability. A 240mm is generally good for upto 250w, a 280mm for 300w, and a 360mm for 350w worth of cpu output.
View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G835LGHpeoI

Lots of room you can even top mount the 360mm rad and have plenty of clearance.
It's a decent AIO from everything I've read but it's expensive.

ok so after some tweaking this is what I came up with: https://pcpartpicker.com/list/xjHcY9

not sure if I will go for the noctua fans, I will see how the stock fans from the corsair 5000d perform.
dont know why the msi suprim x is listed at 2800€ while its listed on amazon at 1800€

Karadjgne

Titan
Ambassador
PCPartPicker Part List

Power Supply: Corsair HX Platinum 850 W 80+ Platinum Certified Fully Modular ATX Power Supply ($144.99 @ Corsair)
Total: $144.99
Generated by PCPartPicker 2022-03-14 23:41 EDT-0400

With extended workloads, compiles, renders, basically a consistent load for possibly hours on end, a Platinum rated psu will be a better option. Pulls less electric from the wall, wastes less electric as heat.

Pulling 600w continuous for 1 hr is the same as turning on 10x 60w lightbulbs for 1 hr. The savings can add up over time.

The fan in my Corsair Platinum SFX 600w doesn't even turn on during heavy gaming with a 3700x, 2070Super and full custom loop, doesn't create enough waste heat to get it warm enough.

Last edited:

mxritz

Honorable
Feb 2, 2019
PCPartPicker Part List

Power Supply: Corsair HX Platinum 850 W 80+ Platinum Certified Fully Modular ATX Power Supply ($144.99 @ Corsair)
Total: $144.99
Generated by PCPartPicker 2022-03-14 23:41 EDT-0400

With extended workloads, compiles, renders, basically a consistent load for possibly hours on end, a Platinum rated psu will be a better option. Pulls less electric from the wall, wastes less electric as heat.

Pulling 600w continuous for 1 hr is the same as turning on 10x 60w lightbulbs for 1 hr. The savings can add up over time.

The fan in my Corsair Platinum SFX 600w doesn't even turn on during heavy gaming with a 3700x, 2070Super and full custom loop, doesn't create enough waste heat to get it warm enough.
https://pcpartpicker.com/product/P6...fied-fully-modular-atx-power-supply-ssr-850px

I went for the seasonic one. should be fine too right?

mxritz

Honorable
Feb 2, 2019
Yeah, Seasonic's focus plus platinum is a really good PSU. Unless you want the RGB bling and screen on the pump I highly reccomend the Arctic freezer 2 280 or 360mm AIO CPU coolers. They will perform the same to better by a little bit compared to the NZXT x73 for a significantly lower price.
hmmm it depends on where im going to place the aio? I was considering placing it upfront, but I just realized that the display will be useless in that position.

edit: nvm im dumb

Reactions: helper800

KyaraM

Admirable
Is there anything on that mobo you absolutely need, or would a cheaper z690 board with two or three connections cut from the back panel be enough? Over 300 bucks for a mobo is far too much imho. Especially when all z690 boards are fully capable to support even an i9 and don't at all struggle with an i7. Iirc, Austria is slightly cheaper on some stuff than they are here in Germany, but you can grab good DDR Z690 boards even here for under 200.

Does it have to be three SSDs, or could one of them be replaced with a HDD like a Barracuda or a WD/Toshiba alternative? Does it have to be Samsung, or are there similar/better options available for less? Is that the cheapest 3080Ti you can find? They are pretty much all good and powerful and unless it's the cheapest option for you, I would reconsider that card tbh. Heck, even FEs are pretty good nowadays and you likely won't feel much difference in performance between best and worst...

The 850W PSU should be enough, but check if you find any recommendations for that card. If you want to be 100% sure, go with the bigger one. This is the only compoment where I would go with the absolute bwst instead of looking for cheaper ones tbh, it's that important. Also, it might sound weird to go with the cheapest components, but when something costs so much and the difference between pricey and cheap is so small...

Also, rather check Austrian pages than German (or any, really...) Amazon...

mxritz

Honorable
Feb 2, 2019
Is there anything on that mobo you absolutely need, or would a cheaper z690 board with two or three connections cut from the back panel be enough? Over 300 bucks for a mobo is far too much imho. Especially when all z690 boards are fully capable to support even an i9 and don't at all struggle with an i7. Iirc, Austria is slightly cheaper on some stuff than they are here in Germany, but you can grab good DDR Z690 boards even here for under 200.

Does it have to be three SSDs, or could one of them be replaced with a HDD like a Barracuda or a WD/Toshiba alternative? Does it have to be Samsung, or are there similar/better options available for less? Is that the cheapest 3080Ti you can find? They are pretty much all good and powerful and unless it's the cheapest option for you, I would reconsider that card tbh. Heck, even FEs are pretty good nowadays and you likely won't feel much difference in performance between best and worst...

The 850W PSU should be enough, but check if you find any recommendations for that card. If you want to be 100% sure, go with the bigger one. This is the only compoment where I would go with the absolute bwst instead of looking for cheaper ones tbh, it's that important. Also, it might sound weird to go with the cheapest components, but when something costs so much and the difference between pricey and cheap is so small...

Also, rather check Austrian pages than German (or any, really...) Amazon...
i mean there is the gigabyte z690 ud but its like really low-end. I think the asus tuf z690 plus or tomahawk are pretty much fine and they have everything a mobo should have. I was thinking about switching the 1TB SSD for an 8TB HDD, but HDDs cant get a bit noisy. It doesnst have to be Samsung, but they are pretty reliable. I think the msi suprim x is fine (its pretty good quality and I dont mind spending an extra 300 for it).