Is this a good build for gaming? (NEWBIE)

chakaboom

Honorable
May 10, 2015
Hi there,

So, this is my 1st PC. I have never owned/built a PC myself. I came up with this:

CPU: i5 8400 six core 2.8GHZ 9MB cache LGA1151
Motherboard: MSI 7370 A-PRO INTEL 7370 chipset
RAM: 2x8GB DDR4 (3200mhz) Corsair Vengence LPX with Heat Spreader
GPU: MSI GTX 1070ti 8GB
PSU: CoolerMaster lite 500W 80+ gaming power supply
Storage: 1TB Seagate SATA-III 6GB/s 7200RPM + 240 GB Kingston A400 SATA III Gaming MLC SSD x2 (480GB)
Case: IN-WIN white mid tower high air flow gaming
Case fans: 3x120mm Corsair SP120 quiet edition
Windows 10 Operating system

I have decided to use cyberpowersystem.co.uk for this process. I plan on purchasing the build this weekend.

Originally I wanted to overclock, but because that would mean upgrading the CPU and power supply (from what i understand) it pushes me way out of my budget.

Games I like? - Many; from the witcher and skyrim all the way to FIFA and call of duty. Primarily though I really enjoy strategy games like the total war series and CIV.

I have some concerns when it comes to my choices:

CPU cooler: I am not planning on overclocking, so I thought maybe I could save a bit of money on using the stock cooler?
CPU vs Motherboard vs RAM: I have tried to understand if these parts are compatible and I think that they are but I am not sure?

My big question to everyone here is: can you think of a better PC for my needs at a cheaper price? (prebuilt or components) Current price is £1583 and considering I also need a monitor etc this is my absolute limit (techniquely beyond it already). I should also mention that I am based in Slovakia so sending things from the US is most likely not an option. I made a similar build on PCpartpicker.co.uk, but the shipping costs of some items meant that it cost significantly more in the end.

If anyone could suggest a monitor that would be work well with this system/their system that is cost effective that would also be amazing!

Thank you so much for all your help and sorry if this was very long!

Solution
Someone I can relate to. I like and play those games a lot myself. The system you listed will provide you fluent 60 frames even at 1440p resolution. Future-proof, almost overkill build!

nvincent_08

Reputable
absolutely dont use intel stock cooler, your cpu could go so hot underload, especially if you use the stock cooler with the pre applied thermal paste it would be such a bad combination. if you want to overclock it is true that you have to buy new cpu, because your cpu is not an unlocked cpu, but it is false that you have to buy new psu. by the way if you want to save a bit of money you can buy ram with lower speed and overclock it by yourself, if you want to. i gues you better change the ssd to m.2 if you want ssd with faster speed, why would you use dual ssd tho?

USAFRet

Titan

1. There is generally nothing wrong with a stock intel CPU cooler

2. "m.2" is meaningless in terms of SSD speed.
The determinant is SATA va NVMe. An m.2 platform drive can be had in either protocol.

3. He didn't list "dual SSD". I see a 1TB HDD and a 240GB SSD.
However...multiple SSD's are no problem. My main system has 5.

g-unit1111

Titan

This is completely wrong. There's a lot of misinformation out there on the way the current generation of Intel CPUs handle thermals. Yes it is true that they're likely to get hotter than previous generations because they use TIM instead of soldering which screws with a CPU's internal temperature monitoring controls. But there's no solution that's a guaranteed foolproof way of reducing overall system temperatures. Delidding is never a sure thing, and you can try any number of after market coolers and thermal compound combinations you want. But you're almost never guaranteed to reduce overall system temperatures with any of them.

Rogue Leader

It's a trap!

This entire post is so wrong I don't know where to start

There is NOTHING wrong with the intel stock cooler for a locked CPU. It may be a bit noisier, but thats it. A good case with good airflow (that any cooler needs) its more than fine.

Get lower speed ram and overclock it? No. First off 3200mhz is likely a bit high for a locked CPU, 3000 is about as high as it will go, because the CPU needs a slight overclock to handle it (XMP does this). Secondly there is a reason RAM is sold and rated at certain speeds, because the manufacturers have tested it and rate it at that speed (and charge more for it). If you could just take any 2133mhz or 2400mhz DIMM and overclock it to 3000mhz everyone would do it.

m.2 SSDs are no faster than SATA, NVMe M.2 SSDs are. The benefits aren't very high in real life use and this is not a bleeding edge system, no need to spend more money when you're telling him how to save money.

logainofhades

Titan

That power supply is junk, which isn't uncommon with cyberpower builds.