[SOLVED] Is this a good build for upgrade (VR)?

Rapajez

Distinguished
Upgrading the Rig in my signature. Looking at the following.

Approximate Purchase Date: This month
Budget Range: $800-900
System Usage from Most to Least Important: Gaming
Parts to Upgrade: Mobo/CPU/RAM/Storage
Do you need to buy OS:
Yes
Preferred Website(s) for Parts: Amazon/Newegg
Overclocking: Yes
Your Monitor Resolution: 1920x1080 & Occulus Rift. Likely upgrading monitor soon. Recommendations welcome.
And Most Importantly, Why Are You Upgrading: Titan GPU is holding up, and happy with case/psu, but think my Ivybridge CPU and platform is starting to bottleneck me. Would like to upgrade monitor to 2 or 4k soon. Like to improve VR performance.

PCPartPicker Part List

CPU: Intel Core i7-9700KF 3.6 GHz 8-Core Processor ($379.99 @ B&H)
Thermal Compound: Arctic Silver 5 High-Density Polysynthetic Silver 3.5 g Thermal Paste ($6.43 @ Amazon)
Motherboard: MSI MPG Z390 GAMING EDGE AC ATX LGA1151 Motherboard
Memory: Crucial Ballistix RGB 32 GB (2 x 16 GB) DDR4-3600 CL16 Memory ($185.99 @ B&H)
Storage: Intel 660p Series 2.048 TB M.2-2280 NVME Solid State Drive ($269.00 @ B&H)
Sound Card: Asus Xonar SE 24-bit 192 kHz Sound Card ($43.99 @ Amazon)
Total: $885.40
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2020-06-05 16:01 EDT-0400

Solution
1) I'd probably stick with a processor that includes integrated graphics, even if you never intend to use it. You never intend for your graphics card to die, but if it does, I'd still like to be able to use the rest of my computer.

2) I'm not sure you need that fast RAM. Not really complaining about it. I know AMD processors can take advantage of faster RAM. Not so sure about Intel.

3) I've ALWAYS been a fan of multiple drives in my systems. I like keeping my OS and Applications on one drive and data stored separately. Now if you have a ton of applications to install, ok, but in my opinion, I think I'd set it up for a 240 - 500GB M.2 SSD and a 1-2TB SATA 6.0 SSD.

4) Given the advances of on-board audio, unless there is a specific...

Wolfshadw

Titan
1) I'd probably stick with a processor that includes integrated graphics, even if you never intend to use it. You never intend for your graphics card to die, but if it does, I'd still like to be able to use the rest of my computer.

2) I'm not sure you need that fast RAM. Not really complaining about it. I know AMD processors can take advantage of faster RAM. Not so sure about Intel.

3) I've ALWAYS been a fan of multiple drives in my systems. I like keeping my OS and Applications on one drive and data stored separately. Now if you have a ton of applications to install, ok, but in my opinion, I think I'd set it up for a 240 - 500GB M.2 SSD and a 1-2TB SATA 6.0 SSD.

4) Given the advances of on-board audio, unless there is a specific function of the sound card that you cannot get from the on-board audio, I'd probably skip it.

-Wolf sends

Solution
D

Deleted member 2720853

There is no point going with 3600 MHz memory on an Intel processor. Get at least 3200 MHz to save a few bucks.

The others already said what I would've.

Rapajez

Distinguished

4) Given the advances of on-board audio, unless there is a specific function of the sound card that you cannot get from the on-board audio, I'd probably skip it.

-Wolf sends

I've already gota 1TB SATA SSD. I could probably save some $$$ on a lower capacity m2 drive.

You don't think $40 is worth allocating to the sound card in a build at this price? I honestly don't know.

Rapajez

Distinguished
New list with suggestions. (Using Thermal Paste to re-use the Noctua Cooler). Look ok?

PCPartPicker Part List

CPU: Intel Core i5-10600KF 4.1 GHz 6-Core Processor ($277.50 @ B&H)
Thermal Compound: Arctic Silver 5 High-Density Polysynthetic Silver 3.5 g Thermal Paste ($6.43 @ Amazon)
Motherboard: MSI MPG Z490 GAMING EDGE WIFI ATX LGA1200 Motherboard ($189.99 @ Newegg)
Memory: G.Skill Ripjaws V Series 32 GB (2 x 16 GB) DDR4-3200 CL16 Memory ($119.99 @ Amazon)
Storage: Intel 660p Series 2.048 TB M.2-2280 NVME Solid State Drive ($269.00 @ B&H)
Total: $862.91
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2020-06-07 00:49 EDT-0400