Is this a good build mainly for gaming? Also powersupply and case fan question?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Blae

Honorable
Jul 9, 2013
Hi, first of all sorry if my english isn't spot on, not my first language.

So I want to upgrade my desktop. I figured I should post what I've come up with here. I've been reading these forums a lot in the process. It will mostly be used to gaming, nothing else that requires anything special, just watching movies and so on. I'm not going to play the heaviest of games on the absolute maxed out settings - but if I get a new game now I always have to go to the options menu and turn down settings first, which sucks. Obviously I want to get as much out of my money as possible, it will be a while before I can afford big upgrades(starting my studies soon). As mentioned I'm not going to do anything special with it, like OC, multiple screens etc. I just want a nice, solid new gaming rig which will allow me to play most games out there on high settings without pushing it to the ultra maxed out settings, but still keep high fps and a healthy temperature and so on. :) After a lot of research this is what I've got :

CPU: Intel Core i5 4670K 3,4GHz 6MB S-1150
CPU COOLER: Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO
GPU: Asus GeForce GTX 670 2GB
MoBo: Asus Z87-K s-1150 ATX (I tried to save some money here, so hopefully this is a decent card)
RAM: Corsair 8GB DDR3 Vengeance LP PC3-12800 1600MHz CL9

I've pretty much stopped there because that's more or less my budget, and I don't want to downgrade anything. So first of all, are those OK, work together etc? I don't know to much about these things yet.

I'm also wondering if I can use my old powersupply in this rig: ACE RAW DEAL+ 520W ATX V2.2 120 MM FAN.

Lastly, should I get another case fan installed in the back of my case to pull out air? I've already got one on the side that I can use, and hopefully have it pull-in air.(not using it atm for some reason) If so which one should I get, my only requirements are; it is silent and cheap ;). ?

THANKS

Solution
Having never heard of the brand, since it came with your case I will assume your PSU is overrated [near] junk probably capable of no more than 350W without burning. For a GTX670, you'll need to replace it with a quality unit in the 550W range; I'd recommend Seasonic or anything built by them.
You can save a little money by getting a Xigmatek Gaia to cool your CPU. Per Frostytech reviews, it cools within 1C of the Hyper212 EVO but is quieter. Right now, it is up to $28, making it a bang/buck winner over the $35 CM.
Having never heard of the brand, since it came with your case I will assume your PSU is overrated [near] junk probably capable of no more than 350W without burning. For a GTX670, you'll need to replace it with a quality unit in the 550W range; I'd recommend Seasonic or anything built by them.
You can save a little money by getting a Xigmatek Gaia to cool your CPU. Per Frostytech reviews, it cools within 1C of the Hyper212 EVO but is quieter. Right now, it is up to $28, making it a bang/buck winner over the $35 CM.

Solution

Blae

Honorable
Jul 9, 2013

Found a unit called Seasonic M12 II 520W Modular PSU, would that do the trick, or should it be closer to 550W? I live in Norway and I can't seem to find the Xigmatek Gaia in any store, only 1 reseller in Sweden which didn't have the Gaia. If the CM is very loud I definitely want to look into other options. Got any tip on a regular case fan in the back to pull out air, if I can get the one on the side to pull in air. Read that this 'pull in pull out' thing can make a big difference.

The Seasonic PSU will be decent; a little small, but decent. If you plan to overclock, you might want something larger, but fully loaded you won't reach 450W, and 400W is more likely.
Adding a side intake fan helped my case temperatures quite a bit, so it will probably improve your temps as well.
The CM cooler isn't bad, and at moderate loads is not loud.

Blae

Honorable
Jul 9, 2013

Thanks, so I would pretty much be set to order then?
A quick follow-up on the PSU; any experience with Corsair PSUs? The site I am using is actually having a sale on a 'Corsair CX 600W BRONZE ATX12V 2.3' - which; like you said, I probably wont need, though it would the cheaper option because of the sale.

The Seasonic PSU is better. The non-modular Corsair CX units were built using some inferior Samxon capacitors that don't like heat and are known to fail early. I would not hesitate to put one in a light duty office-type build, but I would not use one in a gamer.
The Modular ones, OTOH, although built by the same OEM (CWT) use better, Japanese capacitors.

Blae

Honorable
Jul 9, 2013
I don't want to keep on dragging this out, but I looked into XFX Pro Core edition 550W as well, seems like it is made by Seasonic and an excellent PSU according to hardwaresecrets. I think I might end up with that one since I will reach the recommended 550w for GTX 670, it is made by Seasonic, and it's a little bit cheaper.

Status
Not open for further replies.