is this a good build to choose?

jopo

Honorable
Jan 15, 2013
ok, i have been thinking on getting a pc a while now, i want to be able to play stuff like dragon age inquisition, witcher 3 and fallout 4 if it comes out at high to max settings with stable over 30 fps.
will these components work well together as a medium budget type build.
also i want to make this future proof by using sli with the msi gtx 760 when the time comes.
here is the build:

CPU AMD FX-8350 4.0GHz 8-Core £117.45

Motherboard MSI 970A-G46 ATX AM3+ £53.96

Memory Corsair Vengeance 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-1600 £59.98

Storage Western Digital Caviar Blue 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM £38.70

Video Card MSI GeForce GTX 760 2GB TWIN FROZR £169.91

Power Supply Corsair 500W ATX12V £44.12

Operating System Microsoft Windows 7 Home Premium SP1 (OEM) (64-bit) £69.65

Monitor Asus VE247H 23.6" £124.98

Case (undecided)

i plan on buying over the year and not all together since it would be very expensive to pay upfront,
does the build fit my needs?, what should be changed? and will i need a larger watt power supply due to future sli use.

A large case will have a better air circulation than a mid and small case. You could also include case fans. But this is the best mid size case. There's a side window if you don't mind.

Fractal Design Define R4.

jopo

Honorable
Jan 15, 2013
A large case will have a better air circulation than a mid and small case. You could also include case fans. But this is the best mid size case. There's a side window if you don't mind.

Fractal Design Define R4.

problem is it is a bit too expensive

Dark Lord of Tech

Retired Moderator
PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant

CPU: AMD FX-8350 4.0GHz 8-Core Processor (£117.45 @ Amazon UK)
Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-970A-UD3P ATX AM3+ Motherboard (£62.96 @ Amazon UK)
Memory: G.Skill Ripjaws X Series 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-1600 Memory (£60.92 @ Amazon UK)
Power Supply: XFX 550W 80+ Bronze Certified ATX Power Supply (£44.11 @ CCL Computers)
Total: £285.44
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2014-07-31 03:10 BST+0100

Dark Lord of Tech

Retired Moderator

jopo

Honorable
Jan 15, 2013

isnt that basically the same board just a little different, OH WAIT that board looks really good for the price thanks for recommendation

Dark Lord of Tech

Retired Moderator
Hello, I'm purchasing a new Dell desktop with Windows 8 pre-installed. My question is: Can I move the Windows 8 that I purchased
from Microsoft store from my out dated desktop to my Dell laptop which has Windows 7 installed. When my new desktop arrives I plan on reformatting the C: drive and removing Windows 8 from the old desktop. Then I am going to install Windows 8 on my laptop with the key I purchased and the Windows 8 DVD that I also purchased.

He purchased a copy which is legal to move with windows 8.

"Then I am going to install Windows 8 on my laptop with the key I purchased and the Windows 8 DVD that I also purchased"

The other poster was talking about illegal activation aka piracy

With windows 7 OEM the license is tied to the first motherboard it's installed on.With Windows 8.1 you can move it to another build when you are done with this one , but only one computer at a time.With Windows 8.1 you can change all the hardware you want including the motherboard.

Windows7-2.jpg

OEM versions of Windows 7 are identical to Full License Retail versions except for the following:

- OEM versions do not offer any free Microsoft direct support from Microsoft support personnel

- OEM licenses are tied to the very first computer you install and activate it on

- OEM versions allow all hardware upgrades except for an upgrade to a different model motherboard

- OEM versions cannot be used to directly upgrade from an older Windows operating system

Microsoft.com ^

OEM vs. Retail

OEM Windows 7 comes preinstalled on computers. This is the cheapest way to buy windows. Large PC manufacturers like Dell, HP etc. (collectively called royalty OEMs) install windows on millions of such PCs. The main characteristics of such systems are:

The license agreement and support agreement is between you and the PC maker, not MS.

Activation by the end user is not required. Windows is preactivated at the factory by the OEM using images and standard SLP keys.

Your copy of windows is locked to that PC. The license is not transferable.

OEM system builder is what you get when you buy from say Newegg or from a local "white box" vendor. It too has the characteristics of Royalty OEM windows. Although it is possible for an individual to buy a System Builder copy, the license requires that the software be installed using the OPK (OEM preinstall kit) and then resold.

Retail version is what you buy from a retailer like Amazon or Bestbuy. Its a full price version that comes packaged in a retail box with a retail product key. It has to be activated online via MS servers using the key on the box, it is not tied to the PC it was first installed on, though it can only be used on a single computer at a time. And, MS directly provides the support for it. It is also more expensive than OEM copies.

As far as functionality is concerned, theres no difference between any of the versions above, given any specific edition (i.e. between OEM pro and retail pro, or between OEM ultimate and retail ultimate).

sevenforums.com

Windows8-1_zps0f2f36f7.png

Windows 8 is a whole different ballgame.

License agreement for the transfer of a Windows 8 license
http://personaluselicense.windows.com/en-US/default.aspx

jopo

Honorable
Jan 15, 2013

urh, i wish windows was less expensive :c