Is this a good build

muhaideennmk

Honorable
Apr 25, 2018
Planning to do my first build. Is this good ? Well its a budget build and i don't have the EVGA psu or the Corsair SM or SF series. I got Corsair VS series and Silverstone ST60F-ES230. I don't want to upgrade my processor or graphics for the next 4-5 years and want to run AAA games atleast on medium settings. If i have to do any changes before i buy this, Please suggest me :) Anything good is really appreciated. Thanks in advance.

My build :

Intel® CoreTM i7-7700 Processor
Asus ROG STRIX B250G GAMING
Kingston 8GB DDR4 HYPERX FURY 2400Mhz
ASUS ROG STRIX GTX1050TI 4G GAMING
Cooler Master Hyper 212 LED
Silverstone Strider Essential 600W
Cooler Master MasterBox LITE 5 Black
Western Digital CAVIAR Blue 7200rpm 1TB
ASUS DVDRW 24X
RAIDMAX 3 CPU CASE FANS

Solution

Usually only when overclocking. At stock they run just fine aslong as the case is properly ventilated but that is true with any build.

OP, if you want longevity you'd be better off going with a recent released 2xxx series Ryzen 5/7 or a Coffee Lake i5/ i7 setup.

While the 1050Ti is a good budget gaming GPU expecting it to run AAA games at med for the next 4-5 years is a bit of wishful thinking,

Given the low quality capacitors in those 2 power supplies they are also going to struggle in the long run.

Why the 7700 and a B board? Why not a 7700K? Also games look like they're going more multithreaded now so a R7 1700 or 2700x might do you better in the long run with an AMD B board.

Also a 1050Ti is only good for medium to high now you'll be looking at med-low in a few years.

Yes, faster CPUs do produce more heat. Intel is producing faster CPUs than their competitor, but leaving little thermal headroom for overclocking.

Not really they're using the same CPU's they released in 2015 just with higher clocks. Ryzen 2 (not + we got recently) will be on the 7nm process and will have better IPC than intels next gen.

bignastyid

Titan

Usually only when overclocking. At stock they run just fine aslong as the case is properly ventilated but that is true with any build.

OP, if you want longevity you'd be better off going with a recent released 2xxx series Ryzen 5/7 or a Coffee Lake i5/ i7 setup.

While the 1050Ti is a good budget gaming GPU expecting it to run AAA games at med for the next 4-5 years is a bit of wishful thinking,

Given the low quality capacitors in those 2 power supplies they are also going to struggle in the long run.

Solution

Nope look at the review by gamers nexus and without tweaking any BIOS settings they got 94 on the package and 90+ on all cores.

bignastyid

Titan
https://www.pcgamesn.com/intel-core-i7-8700k-review-benchmarks
https://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/intel-coffee-lake-core-i5-8400-cpu,5281-10.html

Were they using a board that had MCE enabled by default? That locks all cores at max turbo boost speeds with added voltage and will cause high temps with improperly cooled.

The 65w(locked cpsu) work just fine on the stock Intel coolers(assuming MCE is disabled). The unlocked 95w cpus aren't hard to cool at stock clock settings. My 8700k doesn't go above 65°C on stock, but will get to 85°C @5Ghz which is still 15°C below the throttling point. I see no indication the OP plans on doing any overclocking and has a better than stock cooler in the parts list.

They used two different boards (got 94 and 82) and then manually changed them but they still got to over 70 at 4.5 on a 280mm AIO.

TRENDING THREADS