[SOLVED] Is this a good build?

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Insane Potatoz

Reputable
Sep 22, 2019
I have this potential build for my personal pc:
Motherboard: Asrock b450m pro4
Cpu: Ryzen 5 3400G
GPU: Vega 11 graphics
RAM: 8gb ddr4 ram (not sure which exact one to purchase yet)
Storage: Samsung 970 EVO 500gb m.2 ssd
Case: Masterbox Q300L
PSU: (can you guys help with this one?)
Cpu cooler: Noctua NH-L9i (will the AMD stock cooler work?)
Other: 3 120mm case fans from the brand Uphere

Is this a good budget build for casual gaming and maybe some 720p 30fps streaming? Also, is there a possibility that I could get a motherboard with the AM4 socket and DDR3 Ram? Any suggestions are greatly appreciated. Thanks so much to everybody!

Solution
gotcha. the motherboard has a chip, the BIOS. its like the OS for the motherboard. it is software and is free from the maker. if your board has an earlier version of the BIOS firmware installed it will need to be flashed (flashing is the act of writing data to a BIOS chip - a software update in essence) the tools and software are readily available should you need it. the steps are well documented in the motherboards manual

the RUB: if you do need to flash the BIOS to support that CPU you WILL need a supported CPU to perform the Flashing with. this is why I brought it up you MAY need another CPU just to make the board ready for the CPU you want.

I instructed you to look at the BOX and get the right version to avoid...
Oct 25, 2019
Nice budget built, it will perform the best for its money BUT:
-To make it run its best you need 16GB 3200Mhz Dual-Channel RAM. RAM is crucial for APU build cause its the GPU's memory (set at least 4GB to the VRAM). Also an overclock to 4.2Ghz will help but you need a nice cooler.
-The stock cooler is good if you are not planning on overclocking.
-You can go with 8GB RAM , only if you play esports titles and simple older games . You can set a 2GB VRAM, (and remain 6GB RAM which is the minimum) BUT ALWAYS DUAL CHANNEL WITH 2666+ SPEED.
-You can cheap out on ssd. 970 Evo is way good for this budget build.
-Even a 300w psu will handle the system, but I would go for a branded 450W (at least) 80+ bronze so it can handle future upgrades. (Corsair CX450M)
Thanks. I already ordered all the stuff the power supply is cx650m so it should be alright, but are u saying I should send back the ram? I think it's G.skill z with the lights, two 16gb sticks and speed is 3600. I don't know about dual channel nothing. Is there some special mark or word with ram what is dual channel? So I can order new ones?
Thanks a lot for helping old person to build a pc for stepson for Christmas!

Insane Potatoz

Reputable
Sep 22, 2019
Thanks. I already ordered all the stuff the power supply is cx650m so it should be alright, but are u saying I should send back the ram? I think it's G.skill z with the lights, two 16gb sticks and speed is 3600. I don't know about dual channel nothing. Is there some special mark or word with ram what is dual channel? So I can order new ones?
3600mhz should be even better! Don’t send back the ram if you already bought some at a higher clock speed.

Giannis_Mag

Reputable
May 24, 2017
So you bought 2x8GB 3600mhz RAM. Thats perfect but cpu doesnt support 3600mhz... It will run at 3000mhz but its ok. Dual channel is having 2 same sticks (2x8) instead of 1 (1x16)

Insane Potatoz

Reputable
Sep 22, 2019
just saw this, that motherboard may need an update to support that CPU. BIOS revision P3.60 and above support that CPU, when shopping if you can look for a BIOS version above P3.60, it should be listed on the box.
Okay, looking at this, I’m confused. So I have to buy a bios revision?? Can you just explain this to me? Thanks!

R_1

Expert
Ambassador
gotcha. the motherboard has a chip, the BIOS. its like the OS for the motherboard. it is software and is free from the maker. if your board has an earlier version of the BIOS firmware installed it will need to be flashed (flashing is the act of writing data to a BIOS chip - a software update in essence) the tools and software are readily available should you need it. the steps are well documented in the motherboards manual

the RUB: if you do need to flash the BIOS to support that CPU you WILL need a supported CPU to perform the Flashing with. this is why I brought it up you MAY need another CPU just to make the board ready for the CPU you want.

I instructed you to look at the BOX and get the right version to avoid this little issue.

Solution

Insane Potatoz

Reputable
Sep 22, 2019

I instructed you to look at the BOX and get the right version to avoid this little issue.
Wow, okay. Is there a motherboard that supports 2nd gen Ryzen processors? I also need a pcie x1 and a pcie x16. It also needs to be micro ATX. Thanks!

R_1

Expert
Ambassador
Asrock b450m pro4 - this is the board and it is a 4 series, the B450. the 5 series boards are made for the 3rd gen ryzen.
the x570 boards. some 4 series motherboards are 3rd gen ready. the MSI boards that support them out of the box are designated with the word MAX at the end like the MSI B450 Tomohawk MAX (example not an endorsement) that board is ready to go. I am unsure how other makers do it but MSI MAX means ready for 3rd gen.

https://www.tomshardware.com/news/msi-amd-400-motherboards-ryzen-3000,39836.html

Insane Potatoz

Reputable
Sep 22, 2019
Asrock b450m pro4 - this is the board and it is a 4 series, the B450. the 5 series boards are made for the 3rd gen ryzen.
the x570 boards. some 4 series motherboards are 3rd gen ready. the MSI boards that support them out of the box are designated with the word MAX at the end like the MSI B450 Tomohawk MAX (example not an endorsement) that board is ready to go. I am unsure how other makers do it but MSI MAX means ready for 3rd gen.

https://www.tomshardware.com/news/msi-amd-400-motherboards-ryzen-3000,39836.html
I’m sorry, but I still don’t get it. I’m pretty new in regulated to motherboard stuff. So what I’m getting from this that a motherboard with the he word MAX in it means it will support my cpu? Would the B450M-A PRO MAX work? Thanks.

R_1

Expert
Ambassador
an MSI made motherboard with the word MAX
sorry. motherboards that have the first number a 5 ( ex B5XX) are made for the 3600 CPU
the MSI made boards with MAX at the end are also ready to work with it. they already updated the software for you.
other makers are not that transparent about it and unless it is a 5 series or a MAX board you MAY have issues.
the boards listed in the article are ready to go. you could safely choose any of those and go. that is why I sent the link.
MAX in this context only refers to the MSI made boards. Micro Star International. the manufacturer.

other motherboard makers may use the word MAX and it not mean a thing.

"Would the B450M-A PRO MAX work? "
yes

Insane Potatoz

Reputable
Sep 22, 2019
an MSI made motherboard with the word MAX
sorry. motherboards that have the first number a 5 ( ex B5XX) are made for the 3600 CPU
the MSI made boards with MAX at the end are also ready to work with it. they already updated the software for you.
other makers are not that transparent about it and unless it is a 5 series or a MAX board you MAY have issues.
the boards listed in the article are ready to go. you could safely choose any of those and go. that is why I sent the link.
MAX in this context only refers to the MSI made boards. Micro Star International. the manufacturer.

other motherboard makers may use the word MAX and it not mean a thing.

"Would the B450M-A PRO MAX work? "
yes
I see now, thanks so much!!