Question Is this a good choice for an upgrade?

max13

Reputable
Aug 23, 2019
I'm about to upgrade my PC. My budget is 650$
I mostly play game and do some coding.

My eyes are on
CPU i7-10700
MB Asrock b460m
Ram Kingston HyperX 2666 8*2

My current PC
i7-3770 stock cooler
RX 5700xt
PSU 650w Tt
RAM 4*4
2 HDD and 1 SSD Sata

GPU, HDD and SSD doesn't need to go right?
I'm not sure about PSU. I changed it around 3-4 years ago.
Someone said I should change the PSU too. but what do you guys think?

its Thermaltake smart series.
https://www.thermaltake.com/smart-m-650w-bronze.html

Should I go with this build?
Any recommendation?

Thank you guys so much.

logainofhades

Titan
I would not go with that build. That slower ram will hold back your gaming performance. A 10600k and Z490, or Ryzen 3600/3700x with B550, and at least DDR4 3200, would be a far better option. I would get a better quality PSU, as well. That one is not very good.

max13

Reputable
Aug 23, 2019
I would not go with that build. That slower ram will hold back your gaming performance. A 10600k and Z490, or Ryzen 3600/3700x with B550, and at least DDR4 3200, would be a far better option. I would get a better quality PSU, as well. That one is not very good.

Is I5-10600k a better choice than I7-10700?

And can you help me pick part for this please?

3-4 years old.
i would start thinking of replacing it. its not like a really bad unit, but i would suggest swapping it out when possible (not necessary immediately, even for the upgrade)

The other guy suggested that a z490 board is necesarry, but for people who dont overclock, its not really necesarry. neither is the i5 10600k part (K means its overclockable)
3200mhz ram though is probably a good bet. its a few dollars more but much much better.

as for the amd or intel... it doesnt matter much. from rumors, the upgrade path is similar, since both amd and intel will probably only support 1 more generation on their boards.
since both will need to swap to ddr5 sooner or later, probably by intel 12th gen and amd 5th gen.
the performance is still about the same, though pricing on amd is a bit better.
i would go with a 3700X (Or 3600 Non X and overclock it to match the X one)
and a b550 board, just because it will probably have better chips to support.
4th gen ryzen will probably still be better than intel 11th gen.
and currently amd is superior in price to performance.

the i7 10700 will be the same as the 3700X In performance mostly, but will cost significantly less.
and a b550 board will probably cost the same as an intel board.
so its probably a better buy.

so go amd and better ram.
swap the psu when possible, but its not super urgent.

logainofhades

Titan
The problem is that with slower ram, a 3300x, paired with 3200 ram, can beat an i5, with 2666 ram, in games. The non z chipsets, which is what should be paired with a locked CPU, lock you to 2666 ram.

If you don't want to overclock, then I suggest the Ryzen solution, for sure. You can go into bios, enable XMP, and PBO, and let it do its thing.

Thermaltake smarts are not good PSU's, I would still recommend replacing it.

max13

Reputable
Aug 23, 2019
i would start thinking of replacing it. its not like a really bad unit, but i would suggest swapping it out when possible (not necessary immediately, even for the upgrade)

The other guy suggested that a z490 board is necesarry, but for people who dont overclock, its not really necesarry. neither is the i5 10600k part (K means its overclockable)
3200mhz ram though is probably a good bet. its a few dollars more but much much better.

as for the amd or intel... it doesnt matter much. from rumors, the upgrade path is similar, since both amd and intel will probably only support 1 more generation on their boards.
since both will need to swap to ddr5 sooner or later, probably by intel 12th gen and amd 5th gen.
the performance is still about the same, though pricing on amd is a bit better.
i would go with a 3700X (Or 3600 Non X and overclock it to match the X one)
and a b550 board, just because it will probably have better chips to support.
4th gen ryzen will probably still be better than intel 11th gen.
and currently amd is superior in price to performance.

the i7 10700 will be the same as the 3700X In performance mostly, but will cost significantly less.
and a b550 board will probably cost the same as an intel board.
so its probably a better buy.

so go amd and better ram.
swap the psu when possible, but its not super urgent.

INTEL 12th gen and AMD 5th gen, that will come out in the next 2 years, right?

I have my eyes on intel rn because of my i7-3770 is still running even tho it's been 8 years with stock cooler.
AMD in the other hand I have TUF 505du which causing me a lot of trouble to get them to work properly (Probably Asus' problem)

AMD is a good deal, cheaper, yes and not too much difference compare to Intel's current generation that's more expansive.
But I'm not sure about AMD's CPU in the long run, will AMD's CPU last long like Intel I7-3770 ?

Last edited:

max13

Reputable
Aug 23, 2019
The problem is that with slower ram, a 3300x, paired with 3200 ram, can beat an i5, with 2666 ram, in games. The non z chipsets, which is what should be paired with a locked CPU, lock you to 2666 ram.

If you don't want to overclock, then I suggest the Ryzen solution, for sure. You can go into bios, enable XMP, and PBO, and let it do its thing.

Thermaltake smarts are not good PSU's, I would still recommend replacing it.

XMP and PBO is for higher speed ram for intel? Will that cause some sort of overheating/voltage issue in the mobo?