Hi.

My PC specs right now are:

i7-7700K (4.2GHz)
ASUS Turbo GeForce® GTX 1060 6G
MSI B250M PRO-VD
Corsair H100x High Peformance Liquid Cooler
Samsung EVO 860 SSD 250GB
2TB Seagate Hard-drive

And I was thinking of changing the CPU for an Intel Core i5-9600KF 3.7GHz 9th Gen CPU.

Do you think this is a good choice?

Solution
The 8th and 9th gen cpus aren't compatible with that motherboard.
6xxx and 7xxx cpus on 100 and 200 series motherboards = LGA 1151.
8xxx and 9xxx cpus on 300 series motherboards = LGA 1151 V2. The V2 has been omitted for unknown reasons and has caused quite a bit of confusion.

The reason it isn't a good long term option is because it's already been proven to be thread limited in more recent games - assuming that is the aim of your upgrade.
Also, non-hyperthreaded cpus suffer from high frame time spikes when all their cores are loaded, causing stuttering.
It's really more of a sidegrade VS your 7700K.

Phaaze88

Titan
Ambassador
What motherboard are you going with?

For the long term, a 9600K is NOT a solid choice. Intel really doesn't have any good options right now in terms of price to performance.
If you're an Intel only user though... well, nothing to really be done about it.

Mar 31, 2020
What motherboard are you going with?

For the long term, a 9600K is NOT a solid choice. Intel really doesn't have any good options right now in terms of price to performance.
If you're an Intel only user though... well, nothing to really be done about it.
My mother board is the MSI B250M PRO-VD. I’m going with the 9600KF because it’s cheaper. I have water cooling. Why isn’t it a good long term option?

Phaaze88

Titan
Ambassador
8xxx and 9xxx cpus on 300 series motherboards = LGA 1151 V2. The V2 has been omitted for unknown reasons and has caused quite a bit of confusion.

The reason it isn't a good long term option is because it's already been proven to be thread limited in more recent games - assuming that is the aim of your upgrade.
Also, non-hyperthreaded cpus suffer from high frame time spikes when all their cores are loaded, causing stuttering.

Solution
Mar 31, 2020

Got it. I’m looking to upgrade some part of my computer (CPU or GPU), but now that you’ve said the 7700K is a side grade, do you think I should just upgrade my card? Or are their any faster CPU’s for my socket?