Is this a good configuration?

ah92

Honorable
Jun 20, 2013
I'm looking to build my first gaming PC soon. I like to play ArmA so I chose the FX-6300 as you can overclock and get i5-3570K performance. Anyways, is this build good? Can anyone configure some things and maybe even save more money? http://pcpartpicker.com/p/18zyB

Solution
The only real issue with any aftermarket heatsync/fan is the fan's clearance of tall memory sticks. (and occasionally, tall chip set heatsyncs) But the 212 sits quite a bit higher than its big brother the EVO. Plus, with the naked memory sticks you have selected, there will be no problem.

Even with a CPU intensive game, the graphic card can still be the weak link and may be the issue your friend is experiencing. Even at stock, the FX-6300 should have more than enough to handle that game with the HD 7870 @ 1080p. Another issue if you are gaming on-line that folks forget about is internet and server traffic. That may make it feel like the PC system is sluggish when it's really not.

clutchc

Titan
Ambassador
Nothing wrong with those components. Some folks will have their favorite picks to try to talk you into. But those will make a good gamer.

Don't be fooled into thinking the FX-6300 O/C'd can catch the i5 SB, IB, or HW though. I have both an FX-6300 rig and the i5 in my sig below. The FX can't match it in benchmarks even if the i5 is at stock. And that was with the same card or cards.

ah92

Honorable
Jun 20, 2013

So should I just pull out $40 more and get the FX-8320? I just want to be sure I have a sufficient processor for ArmA, which is very processor intensive.

ah92

Honorable
Jun 20, 2013

I'd like to keep it under $650 like it is. I'm mainly trying to get the best CPU possible for ArmA 3, with the best performance per dollar. That chart he provided has the list and for $20 more I could get that FX-6350 and run by i7-980s. This guy said he had the i7-920 and apparently it's by the 6300 in that chart and he said he runs fine until there's tons of AI in one area, around 100. Just trying to be sure the build is adequate enough. Normal games I wouldn't worry and get it but ArmA is different when it comes to CPU usage. Edit: The FX-6350 looks really nice.

clutchc

Titan
Ambassador
The only real issue with any aftermarket heatsync/fan is the fan's clearance of tall memory sticks. (and occasionally, tall chip set heatsyncs) But the 212 sits quite a bit higher than its big brother the EVO. Plus, with the naked memory sticks you have selected, there will be no problem.

Even with a CPU intensive game, the graphic card can still be the weak link and may be the issue your friend is experiencing. Even at stock, the FX-6300 should have more than enough to handle that game with the HD 7870 @ 1080p. Another issue if you are gaming on-line that folks forget about is internet and server traffic. That may make it feel like the PC system is sluggish when it's really not.

Solution

ah92

Honorable
Jun 20, 2013

Thanks a lot.