harmpiejan

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2011
hey everyone

I was wondering if this would be a good fan set-up?

fansystem.jpg

would this work out or is this just going to be loud? the second CPU heatsink fan is an add-on, so I could leave that one out

respond please :)

Looks OK to me.

I would add a 120mm intake fan in the 5.25 bays - it would take the top 3 bays and direct airflow toward the cpu. The top exhaust fans would draw the heated air out of the case.

vx53c

Distinguished
Aug 25, 2009
it is good.
no need for more intake. make sure intake is filtered. Move one of the top exhaust to the rear and turn your cpu fan blowing towards the rear perhaps.

harmpiejan

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2011

well, it was actually the idea to not do that :)

I saw an article (not sure where) telling about the dead spot in a cpu cooler, just behind the part where the fan rotates. So I figured this would help against that and cool the heatest spot on the heatsink.

thanks for the reply

Petrofsky

Distinguished
Aug 22, 2008
Looks good. The only thing I'd mention is that you will have a lot of wind out the top. My rig is on the floor, and that would make it blow on me the whole time, which would be unpleasant.

vx53c

Distinguished
Aug 25, 2009
The orientation doesn't really matter. You are going to have that dead spot (which isn't so dead since you are talking push-pull setup) no matter what you do.
I just like the positioning of the cpu cooler blowing towards the rear fan because it is aligned perfectly, creating an turbine of shorts Push-Pull-Pull.
Hell, probably it is just a matter of personal liking, i doubt there is even a single degree difference between the two alternatives. (which makes me want to test it :D)

harmpiejan

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2011
@petrofsky: my system will be sitting on my desk, so that shouldn't be a problem

thanks for the reply. I think I'm going to test if this works best, or turning the CPU cooler 90 degrees and place one of the top fans at the back.

Oh another question: I could also install the fan on the bottom on the window, right at the spot where the GPU fan pulls air in... would that work better?
guess I have some major test to run... well I'm building the system at the end of february, just a the start of my vacation, so I've got a whole week to set everything up to the max :wahoo:

vx53c

Distinguished
Aug 25, 2009
side fans create turbulences, and they are hard to plug in.
Consider installing a front bay fan controller. I got a cheap one from ebay and works just fine.

harmpiejan

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2011
yeah, I'm going to use an automatic fan controller, with 3 thermometers, so I will plug one cpu, the bottom, and my front fan.
Does anybody have a suggestion where I should put the thermometer that is combined with my front fan so I could have the best performance? maybe on the north- or southbridge or something?

vx53c

Distinguished
Aug 25, 2009
the hdd rack near your ssd i guess. I don't quite like automated cooling procedures to be honest. Since intakes are filtered and in order to create an even pressure, i like intakes running a wee bit faster than exhausts since their airflow gets somewhat compromised from filters.