is this a good gaming build for a budget of $1200?

iluvpcsss2025

Honorable
Jan 15, 2014
so i was putting together a gaming build for my friend and do u guys think this is a good gaming build, I know the gpu can run crysis 3 at ultra 1080 p, above 30 fps, but is there a card out there for less and will do the same or even better , but wont kill the budget, also do u think the psu is good and wont fry or die? and what would u tweak for better performance? more fans or different something something?
PLZ GIVE YUR ADVICE, thx :D
http://pcpartpicker.com/parts/partlist/

Intel Core i5-4670 3.4GHz Quad-Core Processor
ASRock Fatal1ty Z87 Killer ATX LGA1150 Motherboard
G.Skill Sniper Series 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-1600 Memory
Seagate Barracuda 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive
MSI GeForce GTX 770 2GB Video Card
NZXT Phantom 410 (Red) ATX Mid Tower Case
Corsair Builder 600W 80+ Bronze Certified ATX Power Supply
Microsoft Windows 8.1 (OEM) (64-bit)

Solution
honestly the psu is fine for only 1 770, and any h87 or b85 motherboard will be fine, just watch the reviews to make sure it isn't renowned as a bad board, and that it has all the usb ports you want on the back (also as many pci slots and expandability options, this can all be done visually) virtually less than 1% gaming difference between motherboards unless you get a faulty one
you posted the wrong link.

But a z87 board is most likely over kill unless you will SLI. You can save some money by going with a h87.

Change your HDD to a WD caviar blue, the seagate has one of the highest failure rates.

Good GPU choice.

Case, eh, every one has their own preferences, I know the phantom is reviewed well so you should enjoy it.

PSU is fine, average quality. Whatever money you save from your mobo could be put towards a better PSU.

honestly the psu is fine for only 1 770, and any h87 or b85 motherboard will be fine, just watch the reviews to make sure it isn't renowned as a bad board, and that it has all the usb ports you want on the back (also as many pci slots and expandability options, this can all be done visually) virtually less than 1% gaming difference between motherboards unless you get a faulty one

Solution

CTurbo

Pizza Monster
I know I'm a little late to the party but here's what $1200 can get you!

PCPartPicker part list: http://pcpartpicker.com/p/34gzo
Price breakdown by merchant: http://pcpartpicker.com/p/34gzo/by_merchant/
Benchmarks: http://pcpartpicker.com/p/34gzo/benchmarks/

CPU: Intel Xeon E3-1230 V3 3.3GHz Quad-Core Processor ($244.30 @ SuperBiiz)
Motherboard: ASRock B85 Pro4 ATX LGA1150 Motherboard ($74.99 @ Newegg)
Memory: G.Skill Ares Series 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-1333 Memory ($74.99 @ Newegg)
Storage: Western Digital RE3 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive ($48.00 @ Amazon)
Video Card: EVGA GeForce GTX 780 3GB Video Card ($489.99 @ NCIX US)
Case: NZXT Phantom 410 (Red) ATX Mid Tower Case ($99.99 @ Newegg)
Power Supply: EVGA SuperNOVA 650W 80+ Gold Certified Fully-Modular ATX Power Supply ($74.99 @ NCIX US)
Operating System: Microsoft Windows 8.1 (OEM) (64-bit) ($89.98 @ OutletPC)
Total: $1197.23
(Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available.)
(Generated by PCPartPicker 2014-03-04 20:27 EST-0500)

GTX780!

iluvpcsss2025

Honorable
Jan 15, 2014
i am stil having trouble picking up jaw, but are there any partss of this i should be worried about, and just woahhhhhhhhhh...............just woahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh.................................................................................................................................and just woah...................................................................................................................................plus a xeon processor.............................

note the price of the xeon, being much more than what your are going to currently spend on your cpu. the 4670k, for gaming purposes is a better option, though not by a HUGE amount. both are great processors, the xeons are considered server cpu's for a reason; they sacrifice speed and overclockability to being a brick shithouse in terms of reliability. As far as tasks go, the i5 (even a non overclocked one) will compare just fine for a lower price, and for gaming will make no difference.

Yes the xeon does seem like a weird choice, but it's typically bought in cases where hyperthreading is actually made use of (gaming does not as of current) and when people don't want to spend the extra $100 for the i7.
(i would recommend you keep the i5, but maybe take the motherboard suggestion (i'm not a huge fan of cheap motherboards though, although they work just fine. You will see no difference in gaming (maybe 1-5% depending on the game) and the i5 option is roughly $40 cheaper if you are not getting the k-version. a 780 is a good deal faster the 770, but the 770 already maxes all current games with the exceptions being crysis 3 and metro last light (maxes them, but you need to turn down AA a bit). If you are willing to spend more, i'd say go with the 780, but you will not be disappointed in the 770).

another thing to note is the actual price. you will likely not be able to order all of these from one place, and if you WERE to order each part from each retailer, you would literally be shit on for shipping prices. your best bet is to go to one of the sites that has a pricematching service, follow their pricematching rules, and you might be able to come within $100 of your desired budget (maybe lower if they do a pricebeat garuntee, ncix and memory express are good for this, but require you to pricematch with retailers within the same country you are buying from)

I am not discrediting the xeon option, but am saying that for your uses, you'd have a better value with the i5 (performance vs the money spent) Now, if games did take advantage of hyperthreading, or were expected to within the next year, i would recommend the xeon for days, but they do not and are not projected to (not until next year or later when devs start using more core for gaming, especially since the consoles are now 8 core, then hyperthreading may become more applicable for gaming.

also very end note, you may or may not want to add a disc drive for installing the OS, and just in case you ever actually need one (you really never know) and they can be had for $20. otherwise you need an existing additional computer with a disc drive so that you can load the os onto a usb stick to use for the new computer