Is this a good gaming/content creation build? Build quality check please.

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Vicious1939

Reputable
Feb 7, 2015
So, I am finally ready to begin my next build, and I have a budget of $2300-$2400. Pcpartpicker.com states no issues/incompatibilities with this build (besides a note stating that HD cages need to be removed to make room for the GPU in the case, which is fine since the case is fully modular).
Since I will be going for higher end parts this time around, I just wanted someone knowledgeable to look over the part list before I commit. Rig will be for mainly gaming/ some content creation. All suggestions are welcome, and THANK YOU IN ADVANCE!

CPU: i7 7700K

CPU COOLER: Corsair H100i v2

MOBO: Asus STRIX Z270F ATX LGA1151

RAM: Corsair Vengeance LPX 32GB (2x16GB) DDR4-3200

HDD: SanDisk Extreme Pro 960GB SSD (already owned. Will be going with M.2 for boot drive in near future, but for now it will serve as both boot/storage.)

GPU: Asus GeForce GTX 1080Ti 11GB STRIX GAMING (was going to go with Maximus IX Hero, but it is more expensive and practically same features, correct me if wrong please.)

CASE: CoolerMaster MasterCase Pro 5 ATX Mid Tower (only gripes is it's heavy. Really wanted something where the H100i is mountable up top, without blocking mobo too much, and this fits the bill. But suggestions welcome.)

PSU: EVGA SuperNOVA P2 850W 80+ Platinum Fully Modular ATX(already owned)

MONITOR: BenQ RL2455HM 24" 1920x1080 60Hz (already owned. Will be going either 1440p or 4k soon, and want to be ready.)

PERIPHERALS (already owned)
KB: Razer BlackWidow Ultimate Stealth
M: Razer DeathAdder Chroma

Solution

I'm not sure this guy knows what he's talking about...
GPU usage doesn't correlate to CPU performance necessarily, and usage doesn't mean it's bottlenecked.
Take CS:GO for example, just because the CPU's only using around 4 threads at any one time and at low overall usage, doesn't mean it's bottlenecking something. All engine related.
The CPU has no issue sending thousands of frames, that's not its job though, the GPU renders the frames and works independently, the CPU has other processor intensive tasks.
To exemplify the fact he's not very well informed; he's running Ryzen with 2666MHz RAM.... and at 1080p...

Mike3k24

Respectable
Apr 21, 2016
I agree with Chug here. The OP looks like he just wants to stay with Intel for some reason tho. @OP if you're still here, I strongly recommend checking out Chug's suggestion. Seriously there's no reason to pay the extra money for minimal fps gain.

Thank you for the appreciation, but please don't disregard other's suggestions as well. Like I said, the 7700K has only a very, very slight difference in gaming, and further optimization on Ryzen will also increase performance. You should consider Ryzen as a viable option as well, it's not half bad for gaming. I'm not trying to confuse you here, but all I'm saying is that Ryzen isn't inadequate for gaming - it's still an awesome processor, and if you don't mind a little lesser FPS, the Ryzen might actually be better due to overall value. Also, for all those pointing out that Ryzen is for him, I know Ryzen is great for any kind of content creation, but OP has said twice that he isn't yet decided on whether he wants to do that at all. I just listed alternatives for him, just so he is well-informed on what he should buy.

@Chugalug, as for 'this guy' being misinformed, let me tell you that he knows what he's talking about. I don't know how experienced you are with computers(I'm sure it's a lot), but this guy definitely knows what he's saying. As for the 2666 MHz RAM I'm pretty sure there's a reason to it, unfortunately it's probably buried somewhere in his lots of long videos on the computer being tested. If a GPU is not being utilized 95-100% it usually is considered to be CPU bottlenecking. I don't know why you think otherwise, because almost every tech reviewer I've watched has said similar things(don't ask for proof here - you can go check out any such video from any tech reviewer and you'd find them saying the same thing I'm saying). It may not always be the case, but it's the case in almost all of them. And actually, CS:GO FPS is actually quite CPU-limited, which basically means it's GPU bottlenecking. Now there might be a more descriptive, technical term for this state, but in general it's just called GPU bottlenecking. Also, he's testing at 1080p because that's just what the video is about. If you ever went through the pain of reading the title, you'd see he's testing the same game with a 780Ti as well, which wouldn't run crap at 1440p, let alone 4K. He does know almost no one buys a 1080 Ti for 1080p, but he also knows he can't compare three different GPUs at different resolutions and still call it a fair comparison.

Anyways, back to the question - OP, if you are bent on a 7700K, just know that it won't last. It's glory is temporary, in a way. When Ryzen gets those optimizations worked out, you might regret buying the 7700K. Just saying.

Vicious1939

Reputable
Feb 7, 2015
Don't worry, not disregarding anyone's suggestions here. I understand what you guys are saying, and will take it into consideration. As I said, I am leaning more towards gaming, although I know it may be handy to have the extra cores for other applications down the road. Also, I may be slightly biased towards intel. lol. :) I know Intel, and am fine with upgrading the core components in 3-4 yrs. In fact, this is what I'm doing right now. My "old" high-end 2014 parts are going to my son for his first pc build. :) Thanks again for the participation gentlemen.