[SOLVED] Is this a good gaming PC build for $500 that's VR ready?

MiloshDr

Reputable
Jul 12, 2016
I am looking for a gaming PC that is well capable of HTC Vive VR. And 1080P gaming at 60 FPS and above. Games like GTA V, Rise of the Tomb Raider, Battlefield One, and BF4, Rainbow Six siege, I want to play most titles that came out in 2010-2012 at 1080P 60FPS or above, and if it can play even the newer titles 2016-2020 at 1080P 60FPS and above thats great. And if it can hit 144FPS thats even better.

I found the build on PCpartPicker https://pcpartpicker.com/guide/BnBD4D/entry-level-intel-gaming-build

The build features (Copy and Pasted from PCPartPicker source):

Solution
Scratch userbenchmark off that list. The scoring algorithm is old, plus it's run by Intel shills; the scaling is biased in favor of Blue Team's cpus.

There was a Best PC Builds for 4K Gaming contest held a few months back that you can use for reference, and that set an already tight budget limit of 750USD.
You're trying to do it even lower than that.
There are limits... VR won't be smooth with cards lower than 2060-level performance.

Phaaze88

Titan
Ambassador
1080p gaming? Yeah, that can work.

VR? You can forget that one.
VR essentially requires a 4K capable card:
"The Vive and the Rift both feature two 1080 x 1200 resolution screens, but after calculating for things like eye buffer and lens refraction they come to a combined resolution of 3024 x 1680. Add in the fact that each screen features a 90Hz refresh rate, and at optimal frame rates the Vive and Rift require your rig to process and render a combined 457 million pixels per second. In contrast, a standard 4K screen running at 60fps comes out to a ballpark of 498 million pixels per second."
RTX 2060, at the minimum.

MiloshDr

Reputable
Jul 12, 2016
1080p gaming? Yeah, that can work.

VR? You can forget that one.
VR essentially requires a 4K capable card:
"The Vive and the Rift both feature two 1080 x 1200 resolution screens, but after calculating for things like eye buffer and lens refraction they come to a combined resolution of 3024 x 1680. Add in the fact that each screen features a 90Hz refresh rate, and at optimal frame rates the Vive and Rift require your rig to process and render a combined 457 million pixels per second. In contrast, a standard 4K screen running at 60fps comes out to a ballpark of 498 million pixels per second."
RTX 2060, at the minimum.

That's understandable, I figure since I am building it I can always later upgrade the components.

I am trying to see what's best, I watched a Linus Tech Tips video they made 2 months ago of a $500 build they did. Maybe for the similar price, I would be pretty much getting the same amount of performance, but there is always the possibility of some builds being better and at the same time costing less. What could be the best $500 build out there? And what's a good way to compare them? I am using cpubenchmark.net, and userbenchmark.com to compare them. Although I am getting comparison statistics could there be some factor I am missing, or is this a good way to see what's better?

Here are the parts they used.
AMD 3100 CPU

ASRock B450M Pro4 Motherboard

G.SKILL 2 x 4GB RAM

Seagate 1TB Barracuda

XPG SX850 256GB

ZOTAC GTX 1650 Super Twin Fan

Cougar MG120

EVGA 400w PSU

Phaaze88

Titan
Ambassador
Scratch userbenchmark off that list. The scoring algorithm is old, plus it's run by Intel shills; the scaling is biased in favor of Blue Team's cpus.

There was a Best PC Builds for 4K Gaming contest held a few months back that you can use for reference, and that set an already tight budget limit of 750USD.
You're trying to do it even lower than that.
There are limits... VR won't be smooth with cards lower than 2060-level performance.

Solution