Is this a good gaming rig?

urbanemp

Honorable
Aug 29, 2012
Hi all!

I would like some advice on a gaming computer I'm currently building.

The current build as it stands is: http://pcpartpicker.com/p/v5G4

I would like to know if it's a good gaming computer that can at least run games such as Guild Wars 2 on high.

The price of the build is my total budget, so if you plan on adding any big changes, please make sure it stays within my budget.

Thank you for any and all advice.

Coldice54

Honorable
Dec 30, 2012
IMO, you really don't need an SSD. I would personally get a Seagate Barracuda unless you REALLY need stuff to load up fast. Instead of that Rosewill case, I would get the Cooler Master Elite 430, as at the moment it's the exact same price on newegg. This is a common mistake, probably some rumor that got spread around the forums, but you DON'T need that much RAM unless you are going to run some servers with some serious traffic. 8 should suffice, the corsair vengeance 8 GB should work. Also, unless your monitor is going to be a touch screen, don't get Windows 8. Windows 7 is much more convenient on non-touchscreen based PCs. Another thing to note is that Blu-ray players are not needed, and it's very complicated to play Blu-ray films on a PC as it requires software that can be costly on top of the price of the player, which is 70 dollars. Just pick up a 23 dollar Asus on amazon or newegg. Something that also catches my eye is that your graphics card does not seem very powerful, I've heard it could run GW2 on high but I would still pick up a 6770 if you play games that are more Gcard intensive. Lastly, I am not sure you should go with an AMD CPU. Research intel CPUs since they are often much more efficient and powerful. Good luck!

g-unit1111

Titan
IMO, you really don't need an SSD.

On this budget I wouldn't get one but you can't go saying you don't need an SSD. They're nice to have and they improve system performance greatly.

Instead of that Rosewill case, I would get the Cooler Master Elite 430, as at the moment it's the exact same price on newegg.

The Elite 430 is like the bottom of the barrel as far as low end cases go. Cooler Master makes some good products - I have the HAF 912 and it's a good case but there's better you could go with.

Also, unless your monitor is going to be a touch screen, don't get Windows 8.

You can run Windows 8 without a touch screen.

Another thing to note is that Blu-ray players are not needed, and it's very complicated to play Blu-ray films on a PC as it requires software that can be costly on top of the price of the player, which is 70 dollars. Just pick up a 23 dollar Asus on amazon or newegg.

This I actually *DO* agree with - playing Blu Ray movies is a gigantic pain in the ass, and after trying it on a variety of systems I've pretty much given up. I use mine more for backups than I do watching movies.

I've heard it could run GW2 on high but I would still pick up a 6770 if you play games that are more Gcard intensive.

You can get a far better GPU than a 6770 on a $650 budget.

That is not a good gaming rig at all - that GPU combo will barely run anything, and you don't need 16GB of RAM.

This will be a far far better rig:

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant / Benchmarks

CPU: AMD FX-6300 3.5GHz 6-Core Processor ($139.99 @ Newegg)
Motherboard: ASRock 970 EXTREME4 ATX AM3+ Motherboard ($107.86 @ Newegg)
Memory: Mushkin Silverline 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-1333 Memory ($43.99 @ Newegg)
Storage: Western Digital Caviar Blue 500GB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive ($64.99 @ Newegg)
Video Card: Sapphire Radeon HD 7850 2GB Video Card ($200.98 @ Newegg)
Case: NZXT Source 210 (White) ATX Mid Tower Case ($35.98 @ Newegg)
Power Supply: Corsair Builder 600W 80 PLUS Certified ATX12V Power Supply ($61.98 @ Newegg)
Optical Drive: Lite-On iHAS124-04 DVD/CD Writer ($22.98 @ Newegg)
Total: $678.75
(Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available.)
(Generated by PCPartPicker 2012-12-31 03:43 EST-0500)

g-unit1111

Titan

I'd only go with a Trinity build if you're running something like a HTPC where you don't need high end graphics. On a gaming rig you want a good high end video card, don't settle for hardware from two generations ago like the Radeon 6770.