[SOLVED] Is this a good GPU upgrade for my PC?

Feb 13, 2022
Hi,

I am looking to upgrade some hardware in my PC to be able to run warzone on higher than low graphics so i can actually see while im playing.

I currently have

CPU - Intel i5 4690K @ 3.50Ghz
RAM - 16GB DDR3 Corsair vengeance 1600 Mhz
GPU - Nvidia GTX 960

I was thinking of upgrading to Nvidia GTX 1660, would this upgrade work? or is there a better upgrade option? i'm willing to spend a few hundred £s.

Also is it worth upgrading to SSD? i've read that it is much faster for loading and is this an easy upgrade?

Cheers

Last edited:
Solution
1600AF would only be an upgrade in terms of threads. They have almost identical single thread performance. 1st gen Ryzen was generally compared to Haswell at launch.

If you were going to go to the effort of getting a new CPU and Motherboard and RAM, there are far better options. (i5-10400F, Ryzen 3600 for starters)
On your first question, it'd be a reasonable upgrade but only that. The i5 would still hold you back somewhat in Warzone. You could try mitigating that by clocking it to around 4.5-4.6Ghz, but all 4 threads will still be at 100%. So you'd get an improvement, but not as big an improvement as you'd achieve with 8 or more threads available on the CPU. Depending on the cost of the new card, it'd be up to you as to whether it'd be worth it. You could take the card to a new system, but the 1660 is getting a bit long in the tooth so how feasible that would be is debateable at this point. If you're in the UK, install Telegram and join the FE Partalert channel. Then you can try to get a Founders Edition card at MSRP, I picked up this 3080 for 649 quid using that, and sold my 2080 for 490 quid meaning a 159 quid cost to upgrade. You could maybe look for a 3070 or something of that ilk, that'd maybe be a similar price or a little more to what you'd pay for a 1660, but that's a card that is well worth carrying over to a new system, the 1660 far less so. And with the 1660 at 390 quid from Scan at present, I'd try shoot for a 3070 FE at 469 quid or a 3060ti FE at 369 quid.

SSD is a no brainer if you're using an old school hard drive. It won't affect FPS, but it will make Windows far more pleasant and useable.

Feb 13, 2022
Thanks for the reply, I am going to look at getting a whole new system when I have the funds to do it properly, so for now I think I’ll take your advice of going for a 3070 or 3060.
I’ll have a look at the telegram and see what I can find, thanks again for the help.

Reactions: John Chesterfield

siveshen

Distinguished
Apr 29, 2014
Hi.
I'd recommend an Rx 6600 and a Ryzen 1600AF. These are the best bang for the buck gaming parts. These parts should improve your experience exponentially. This would require an entire system upgrade but the FPS gain will be worth it.

Eximo

Titan
Ambassador
1600AF would only be an upgrade in terms of threads. They have almost identical single thread performance. 1st gen Ryzen was generally compared to Haswell at launch.

If you were going to go to the effort of getting a new CPU and Motherboard and RAM, there are far better options. (i5-10400F, Ryzen 3600 for starters)

Solution