Is this a good hard drive?

bluva

Distinguished
May 7, 2011
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16822148701

It was recommended that i buy this and i did. It arrived dead. So soon newegg will be sending me another one. I was so excited about building a pc i didnt even think the hard drive would matter as long as it had enough space (first time builder). Now that i took the time to actually read reviews people have complained about this product saying how quickly it fails and its not good. So it seems i got ripped off! however im confused because i don't know much about computer components. What is making theirs fail? Is is true games wear down your hard drive faster? i have an 80gb hard drive that has last me 6 years with no problem. I don't understand something that is supposedly new with a 0.34% failure rate failed on me... When i get my hard drive and if i works is there a way to check the status of its life? lol

Rusting In Peace

Distinguished
Jul 2, 2009
Don't read into people's reviews on Newegg too much. Like all surveys, only those with strong positive or strong negative experiences are going to add a review.

Hard drives can fail for a variety of reasons but most "Dead On Arrival (DOA)" hard drives have been damaged in transport. The percentage failure you are stating applies to in a controlled lab across a number of batches. It's entirely feasible that a particular batch is less reliable than another.

Games aren't particularly hard drive intensive. Plenty of other applications cause the hard drive to do significant work. However large amounts of work could only cause a mechanical failure of the drive. Hard drives are more likely to fail because of bad sectors which is not influenced by any application at all. In short gaming will not cause you hard drive to fail any sooner.

Modern hard drives, apart from SSDs, implement SMART, to report on the health of the hard drive. You can use various applications to read this data to give indications on how the drive is doing. However there is no way to predict precisely when a drive is going to fail.