Is this a good iron for SMD soldering?

Solution
It looks like it should work fine with the finer soldering tips with the larger SMD pins/pads but not with BGA. Two things to consider: 1) can you get extra tips when needed; and 2) SMD desoldering will be more of an issue that soldering if you are going to be reworking boards because all of the pins/pads will need to be heated at the same time to get them to release. Otherwise, you risk pulling a trace off of the board if it is still attached to the pin/pad. But you would be getting into serious money to get a rig sufficient for SMD desoldering without damaging the PCB.
It looks like it should work fine with the finer soldering tips with the larger SMD pins/pads but not with BGA. Two things to consider: 1) can you get extra tips when needed; and 2) SMD desoldering will be more of an issue that soldering if you are going to be reworking boards because all of the pins/pads will need to be heated at the same time to get them to release. Otherwise, you risk pulling a trace off of the board if it is still attached to the pin/pad. But you would be getting into serious money to get a rig sufficient for SMD desoldering without damaging the PCB.

Solution

Matthew Renna

Distinguished
Jan 24, 2017

I'll just be using it for simple SMD circuits. If I need anything better, my shop should have it. Thanks for the detailed reply!