Question Is this a good Mesh network setup for my home? I've over-researched /changed decisions so many times, by brain hurts and it's becoming frustrating!

CostaP

Distinguished
Dec 22, 2014
This is my house design and what I'm looking to setup with a mesh system + ethernet switch.
We are with Virgin Media Hub 3.

Is this a good Mesh system for my house if 2/3 Mesh will be wired/backhaul. With the Mesh in the house extension outputting/connecting via wifi to the 2nd floor Mesh.?

I was looking at AP's, but I feel mesh would be better/stronger for reaching the dead spots / improving wifi areas (parents room and my room).
Gettign ethernet to anywhere else in the house, even my room, is tricky.
Builders are nearly finished with the extension, tiles are on, but it'd be very awkward/pricey (for drilling), and maybe even impossible to wire an ethernet to my room (at least).

Mesh should be your very last option.

It will be worth asking about the cost of ethernet. What you generally do is run it up the walls inside something like a closet so if you have to cut holes it less area to try to match paint on. You would run it up into the attic and then down to the rooms on the second floor.

Did they install coax cable into those rooms. MoCA is a good alternative when ethernet is not available and can get gigabit speeds.

Your next option would be powerline networks. It will not get much over say 300mbps if you are lucky but key is the latency is extremely stable compared to any wifi. This is more important to people who play online games. Games need very little bandwidth but they need very high quality signals.

So when you have no other option and you in effect get no signal from the main router in the remote rooms you can look at mesh. In many cases a weak signal directly from the router will out perform a repeated signal.

Mesh is impossible to say how well it will work for you. All depends on your house. People that live in areas that they build walls out of concrete almost any form of wifi will not pass no matter what you do.
You want to start by buying mesh units that have a extra wifi radio run between the mesh units and 2 more radios 2.4 and 5 to talk to the end devices. These many times are called tri-band but that term is not standard be sure to look for a discussion of dedicated backhaul radios. This extra radio chip of course makes the units much more expensive.

After that it is trial and error for the placement. Generally you do not just put the mesh units in the remote rooms. They will get the same crappy signal the end devices do and they retransmit it making it worse. The signal might have more bars (ie signal level) but the quality of the data inside can be no better than what it got from the main router. In this case it likely is better to let your end device connect to the router directly without the repeater. You need to place the mesh units where they get strong signal from the main router and can still send it to the remote room. You could think of this as 1/2 way but when you have a wall/floor eating signals it is not so simple.

Again try very very hard to not use mesh/repeater systems to solve your wifi coverage issue if there is any other option.