Is this a good motherboard?

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

davew1860

Prominent
Feb 6, 2019
One more thing: about your cooler - which I actually own myself - you might need to buy a separate AM4 upgrade kit for it. That kit allows Ryzen processors to be compatible with the cooler. Without that kit, you cannot install the cooler on Ryzen processors. I bought my kit from eBay for $14.50 (free shipping). Please check into that.

One more thing: about your cooler - which I actually own myself - you might need to buy a separate AM4 upgrade kit for it. That kit allows Ryzen processors to be compatible with the cooler. Without that kit, you cannot install the cooler on Ryzen processors. I bought my kit from eBay for $14.50 (free shipping). Please check into that.
Do you mean the RAM kits? or something else still learning so can you explain it in simple terms if possible xD?

maverick0011

Prominent
Aug 25, 2017
I see can you find me a review on both ASUS boards and I will choose from there?
Asus boards are trash, always have been always will be. Plenty of experience with their junk. Go with an MSI board or Go with the ASROCK Taichi, Both boards are awesome. I would have said the MSI Pro Carbon AC, however that board is very hard to come by right now as is the M7 AC. I'm currently using the X470 Pro Carbon without AC.

Asus boards are trash, always have been always will be. Plenty of experience with their junk. Go with an MSI board or Go with the ASROCK Taichi, Both boards are awesome. I would have said the MSI Pro Carbon AC, however that board is very hard to come by right now as is the M7 AC. I'm currently using the X470 Pro Carbon without AC.
What has happened to make you feel that the ASUS boards are trash just curious so I can research

maverick0011

Prominent
Aug 25, 2017
What has happened to make you feel that the ASUS boards are trash just curious so I can research
I've had nothing but problems with them and have had to help countless people over the last 20 years with asus boards. Most of the problems include bios issues, and other things relating to their AMD boards. Just stick to MSI or AsRock. They're both reliable and have had nearly no issues. I had some bad luck with a couple of the B450 gaming boards from MSI, that was probably just that bad luck. my X470 Pro Carbon is running flawlessly and I've had it in for the last 24 hours and counting. It's kind of hard to look up the problems from the past with a lot of the AMD boards, I've got TWO older asus boards sitting here from older systems. The bios is bad in the board I attempted to use as a temporary file server. It worked for the needed amount of time, then I just simply changed my configuration back. I've used mostly MSI, DFI, Foxconn boards for the last 15+ years until DFI and Foxconn went bye bye..

RayOfDark

Reputable
May 16, 2019
I wouldn't put too much weight on one person's experience with motherboards. I've been building bespoke systems for nearly 30 years and have the exact opposite experiences to Maverick when it comes to Asus, MSI, Foxconn, etc.

I'm not saying he's wrong. I'd just advise casting your net wide when looking for opinions on different manufacturers.

I wouldn't put too much weight on one person's experience with motherboards. I've been building bespoke systems for nearly 30 years and have the exact opposite experiences to Maverick when it comes to Asus, MSI, Foxconn, etc.

I'm not saying he's wrong. I'd just advise casting your net wide when looking for opinions on different manufacturers.
Yes I get what you mean I think I am sticking with the board and if it fails on me I'll just get my money back and if I don't try it I may regret it later!

maverick0011

Prominent
Aug 25, 2017
You sure it isn't just bad luck? I'll look into it tho thanks for the info!

I have about the same overall experience, Building and modifying my systems since the mid-late 90's with my start in IBM PC Compatibles in earnest in 1990. My experience has been that of over a dozen boards, no less than 8 I have owned. My dad had 3 Asus boards, all three of which had problems AMD boards, the intel board had issues of a different sort. Swapped him to a DFI board no problems for a long time. ASUS boards had a problem with "clock twisting" where if you were overclocking or even if you weren't you'd have to re-flash the bios and hope the bios chips wasn't bad. I had the same problem with the Asus boards I had back when I had my socket 939 systems. I've also had to deal with problems with gigabyte boards, most of those were memory related. ASUS boards loved to have problems with ram, they still do on occasion. I nearly gave GB a try when I was looking to replace the B450 board... 5 top end 5xx series boards from Asus going south in a span of 6-8 months... That's a rather large sample of boards, the last one had a bad temp sensor the board was DOA and I'd had it sitting for months because I was planning on selling it to a friend.

DMAN999

Honorable
Ambassador
That Crosshair is a very nice MB and I agree with dave, 16 GB of RAM is plenty for at least the next 5 to 7 years unless you use some specific software that benefits from more RAM.

As for MB Brands, I have also used boards from pretty much Every MB manufactuer over the last 30+ years.
I research each MB based on the current application.
Each manufacturer has good and bad MB's IMO.
I currently own an Asus, for my last build I used a Gigabyte, and I had an MSI board before that.
My advice is always research current board reviews and choose the best MB for Your needs/budget.

Last edited: