[SOLVED] Is this a good pc for gaming and programming?

May 26, 2020
I started building my pc with these components:

Processor AMD Ryzen™ 3 3200G 3.60GHz Quad-Core
Motherboard ASROCK B450M-HDV
Memory (2) 8GB XPG DDR4-3000
Graphics Card NVIDIA® GeForce® GTX 1660 Super 6GB
Operating System Storage 512GB GAMMIX XPG S5 M.2 SSD
CPU Liquid Cooling CLX Quench 120 Closed Liquid Cooler
Chassis Selection Set Talos E1 Micro ATX Tower
Chassis Fans (3) Standard 120mm Case Fans
Power Supply 750 Watt Gamdias ASTRAPE M1 (RGB Lights)
Operating System Microsoft Windows 10 Home
Free to Play Games
FREE CPU Based Games Promo No Games Included
FREE GPU Based Games Promo No Games Included
Web Browser
CLX Branded Gear No CLX Premium T-Shirt
USB Flash Drives No USB Flash Drive Selected
Wireless Router No Wireless Router
Chairs No Chair
Harddrive Accelerators (No Harddrive Accelerator)
I would like to know if is good enough, or if I can change anything for a better price or better components.

another thing is the power supply, someone told me that with 550 watts is good enough such as 550 Watt Gamdias Kratos M1 80+ Bronze.
the monitor is: ASUS - 24" LED FHD FreeSync Monitor
Refresh rate: 75Hz
Maximum Resolution: 1920 x 1080
native resolution: 1920 x 1080
response time: 1 milliseconds
Panel Type: TN
synchronization technology: FreeSync (AMD Adaptive Sync)
size: 24 inchs
dvi imputs: 0
vga ports: 1
Number of HDMI Inputs: 2

Solution
As you are going with a discrete GPU you would be better to switch that APU for a Ryzen cpu, the new AMD Ryzen 3 3100 or 3300X would be much faster than the 3200G when paired with that 1660 Super (the main reason to go for the 3200G is for the integrated gpu if you were on a tight budget but if you aren't using it's not the best gaming cpu being only 4 cores / 4 threads verses the 4 cores 8 threads on the two new Ryzen 3 cpu's).

The only thing to keep in mind is the new Ryzen 3 cpu's have only just been released so probably won't have bios support out the box with that motherboard. The safest options is to get a motheboard with USB bios flashback capability - this allows the board to be updated using a USB stick without a cpu...
As you are going with a discrete GPU you would be better to switch that APU for a Ryzen cpu, the new AMD Ryzen 3 3100 or 3300X would be much faster than the 3200G when paired with that 1660 Super (the main reason to go for the 3200G is for the integrated gpu if you were on a tight budget but if you aren't using it's not the best gaming cpu being only 4 cores / 4 threads verses the 4 cores 8 threads on the two new Ryzen 3 cpu's).

The only thing to keep in mind is the new Ryzen 3 cpu's have only just been released so probably won't have bios support out the box with that motherboard. The safest options is to get a motheboard with USB bios flashback capability - this allows the board to be updated using a USB stick without a cpu installed. Here is a list of AM4 boards that offer this feature:

View: https://www.reddit.com/r/Amd/comments/bvfo57/list_of_b350_b450_x370_and_x470_motherboards_with/

The MSI B450 Gaming and Tomahawk models are both good options.

The other options would be to look at a 2nd generation Ryzen 5 2600 (which is supported out of the box on all B450 motheboards). That isn't as good a gaming cpu as the 3100 / 3300X (as these have the more powerful Zen 2 core) but the 2600 is 6 cores / 12 threads so is really good for work related tasks and is also a much stronger gaming cpu than the 3200G.

Power supply wise, unless you are planning on overclocking then it's true a good quality 500 - 600W unit is enough, in fact a good quality lower power unit is generally a better idea than a cheap high rated units as it will have more protection circuits, more stable output and such.

I suggest reading through the Toms article on power supply options:
https://www.tomshardware.com/uk/reviews/best-psus,4229.html

If you find a decent quality unit then having a bit more power than you need isn't a bad thing as it will give you room to overclock or upgrade to higher power parts in future, but make sure it's a decent quality unit. There are a lot of very cheap units out there claiming very high outputs that are best avoided (as they can damage parts if they fail or even catch fire).

Solution
I would consider an Air Cooler instead of a 120mm water cooler. They will likely be more cost effective, and possibly more effective in general. The most often recommended basic CPU cooler is the Cooler Master Hyper 212 Evo, which has proven to be pretty decent.

I also agree with the above, that you need a different PSU. Do not get an off-brand, stick with a known and trusted brand of PSU. I have never heard of the brand you are looking at buying. And yes, you can get a lower wattage PSU, though a high wattage PSU will allow you to upgrade your system more in the future, if you would like to upgrade.

TRENDING THREADS