Is this a good power supply

carnal sage

Honorable
Mar 30, 2012
This is the power supply that came with my computer is it any good.Also will it power a system with graphics card that needs 450ws.

Solution
For a system using a single GeForce GTS 240 graphics card NVIDIA specifies a minimum of a 450 Watt or greater power supply that has a combined +12 Volt continuous current rating of 24 Amps or greater and that has at least one 6-pin PCI Express supplementary power connector.

Depending on which brand and model of GeForce GTS 240 you get you may or may not need a 6-pin PCI Express supplementary power connector from the power supply unit.

Your current power supply will have no problems powering your system using the single GeForce GTS 240.

The power supply label states:

MAX. COMBINED CURRENT ON +12V CPU, +12VA AND +12VB: 31.5A

What graphics card is in this system?

If it came that workstation it must be some model of NVIDIA Quadro NVS or NVIDIA Quadro FX or ATI FireGL card.

carnal sage

Honorable
Mar 30, 2012
Ya its a Ati firegl v5100..I just want to put something in it mostly for everyday use.. I sometimes game..On ebay there is a cheap geforce gts240. I know its a little old but i don't have much of a budget right now.

Got it...was just adding the non-12VCPU rails to get a rough estimate of the amperage available for a GPU.

lilotimz

Distinguished
Aug 31, 2009
That's an alright power supply. First, it won't blow up in your face. More often than not, the stated info on the PSU is accurate. Then it's delta. They can make very high quality power supplies if they need to (they build PSU's for a lot of comps like antec) but usually the OEM ones they make, although not very efficient or high in quality, they'll do their job.

Just don't expect it to power anything above a mid range card.

For a system using a single GeForce GTS 240 graphics card NVIDIA specifies a minimum of a 450 Watt or greater power supply that has a combined +12 Volt continuous current rating of 24 Amps or greater and that has at least one 6-pin PCI Express supplementary power connector.

Depending on which brand and model of GeForce GTS 240 you get you may or may not need a 6-pin PCI Express supplementary power connector from the power supply unit.

Your current power supply will have no problems powering your system using the single GeForce GTS 240.

Solution