[SOLVED] Is this a good pre-built pc?

Gatesaverツ

Reputable
Sep 23, 2019
Hello! My current computer is a pretty old one and i've looked at buying a new pc, im wondering if these specs really fit together.

CPU Intel i5-9400F
RAM DDR4 2x8 GB 2666 MHz
GPU NVIDIA GeForce RTX 2060 6 GB GDDR6
Memory 512 GB SSD PCIe 3.0 x4 NVMe
Case Lenovo Legion T530 Tower
PSU 350 W

Can the PSU really handle an RTX 2060?

Solution
Okay, so i should buy a better PSU then? Im probably gonna buy this because it only costs 900 USD.

Yes, you should buy a better quality PSU.

PCPartPicker Part List

Power Supply: Corsair RMx (2018) 650 W 80+ Gold Certified Fully Modular ATX Power Supply ($74.99 @ Newegg)
Total: $74.99
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2019-11-25 10:07 EST-0500

Does it say what the motherboard is? They're already cheaping out with the PSU and RAM, I wouldn't be surprised if they're doing the same with the motherboard.

DSzymborski

Curmudgeon Pursuivant
Theoretically, an excellent one could as the GPU will be under 200W, but prebuilts rarely have excellent ones. I would not recommend purchasing this unless you're mentally adding in the cost of a better quality PSU. The company doesn't particularly care if your PC lasts longer than the year or two it's under warranty, but you ought to.

Technically it probably can. The 2060 has a TDP of 160w and that leaves the rest of the PC with 190w, which is technically enough. I wouldn't trust it very much though honestly.

Otherwise though those specs are fairly balanced, and for a good enough price it still might be cheaper to just put your own PSU in there. Is it a standard sized computer that any PSU could fit into?

Gatesaverツ

Reputable
Sep 23, 2019
Theoretically, an excellent one could as the GPU will be under 200W, but prebuilts rarely have excellent ones. I would not recommend purchasing this unless you're mentally adding in the cost of a better quality PSU. The company doesn't particularly care if your PC lasts longer than the year or two it's under warranty, but you ought to.
Okay, so i should buy a better PSU then? Im probably gonna buy this because it only costs 900 USD.

Gatesaverツ

Reputable
Sep 23, 2019
Technically it probably can. The 2060 has a TDP of 160w and that leaves the rest of the PC with 190w, which is technically enough. I wouldn't trust it very much though honestly.

Otherwise though those specs are fairly balanced, and for a good enough price it still might be cheaper to just put your own PSU in there. Is it a standard sized computer that any PSU could fit into?
I think it's a ATX or an mATX tower and possibly my old computer may have a better PSU.

DSzymborski

Curmudgeon Pursuivant

PCPartPicker Part List

Power Supply: Corsair RMx (2018) 650 W 80+ Gold Certified Fully Modular ATX Power Supply ($74.99 @ Newegg)

Does it say what the motherboard is? They're already cheaping out with the PSU and RAM, I wouldn't be surprised if they're doing the same with the motherboard.

Solution

Gatesaverツ

Reputable
Sep 23, 2019

PCPartPicker Part List

The motherboard was a intel b360, i just forgot to put it in the original post.

DSzymborski

Curmudgeon Pursuivant
Okay, that's all it said really.

So then assume they're cheaping out there, too, when valuing the price. Also take into consideration that the warranty on the parts will be worse than one you build yourself; in most cases, the prebuilt takes over the warranty and gives a worse one than the manufacturer extended on the part. The exception there tends to be EVGA.

Gatesaverツ

Reputable
Sep 23, 2019
So then assume they're cheaping out there, too, when valuing the price. Also take into consideration that the warranty on the parts will be worse than one you build yourself; in most cases, the prebuilt takes over the warranty and gives a worse one than the manufacturer extended on the part. The exception there tends to be EVGA.
So the warranty on the parts itself are lesser than if i would build it myself?
Also the warranty is for 2 years.

DSzymborski

Curmudgeon Pursuivant
So the warranty on the parts itself are lesser than if i would build it myself?
Also the warranty is for 2 years.

When you build yourself, you typically get three years for the GPU, CPU, and motherboard, and the PSU I linked above has a ten-year warranty. What this means that if your 2060 dies in March 2022, if you built it, they'll RMA and send you a new one (and quite frequently a better one due to older stock being cleared) and if you bought the prebuilt, they'll just tell you "too bad, so sad," and you have to buy a replacement.

The extra year isn't worth $500 or anything, but it should be considered when making a decision to buy a prebuilt that isn't significantly cheaper than building yourself.

Gatesaverツ

Reputable
Sep 23, 2019
When you build yourself, you typically get three years for the GPU, CPU, and motherboard, and the PSU I linked above has a ten-year warranty. What this means that if your 2060 dies in March 2022, if you built it, they'll RMA and send you a new one (and quite frequently a better one due to older stock being cleared) and if you bought the prebuilt, they'll just tell you "too bad, so sad," and you have to buy a replacement.

The extra year isn't worth $500 or anything, but it should be considered when making a decision to buy a prebuilt that isn't significantly cheaper than building yourself.
Okay.
Just wondering, but is 500w enough for the rtx 2060?

TRENDING THREADS