system specs:

Cooler Master Sniper Scout Tower
Intel® Core™2 Quad Processor Q6600
Intel G33 MoBo
3GB DDR2 RAM
Radeon HD 4870
1 TB SATA Drive 7200 RPM
800W Power Up! PSU

I've been having an issue where after extended periods of game-play (especially for graphically intensive games) my pc will shut off without warning. After search through a bunch of forums I'm pretty confident that the problem is the power supply and I'm thinking of buying the following as a replacement.

http://www.tigerdirect.com/applications/SearchTools/item-details.asp?EdpNo=3276573&sku=ULT-LSP650

I don't want to buy another faulty piece of hardware, and I'm not really sure how to judge a PSU, so my questions are as follows:

What makes a good PSU?
Is Ultra a good brand of PSU?
Is this specific PSU good?
Also, is there a brand or specific PSU that you would recommend?

drums101

Distinguished
ultra psu's are on the cheaper end of power supplies....but that doesnt necessarily mean its a crappy psu...they offer a life time warrenty which is really nice so if it dies then you can get a replacement for free.....ultra is basically the in house tigerdirect brand. I would have no problem putting that psu in a rig of mine...I have used ultra psu's in the past and they are still going strong. the corsair psu's you picked out are a little higher quality the last link to the cx600 was a pretty good price for the unit...corsair makes good quality stuff....to me it would be between those two psu's.....both have plenty of power to power your current rig.

drums101

Distinguished
OCZ is good too..I have bought OCZ psu's in the past and havent really had a complaint with them....ocz is higher quality than ultra but is not as good of quality as corsair in my opinion

DavidY

Honorable
Jul 6, 2012

Depends on the OCZ model. ZT and ZS series have good reviews. OCZ can be difficult to deal with to my understanding. Personally, I would prefer Antec, Seasonic, XFX. PC Power and Cooling is a part of OCZ....PC P&C's Silencer Mk3 has pretty good reviews.

Dave

drums101

Distinguished

I agree with david here...it really depends on the model of ocz you get.....and I have heard their customer support is shady and rebates dont always come (never had a problem with that myself)....one thing about PC power and cooling they used to be amazing psu's now they are just above average since ocz took over....they are cutting corners which really pisses me off bc I have an older pcp&c supply and I love it.... I hate to see the name get tarnished

TRENDING THREADS