[SOLVED] Is this a good psu?

Solution
Just to clarify, the power supply that's currently in your system is not the Seasonic you linked to, but instead some other 500W unit that the PC shipped with. Is that correct?

Edit: If so, could you post a picture of the label that's on the side of your current PSU? It'll have the rated power/amps per rail listed on it.

Edit2: Actually, as pointed out below, you should just return it if possible. Half the point of getting a pre-built is for the whole system warranty so that you don't have to deal with stuff like this.

Barty1884

Retired Moderator
It's entirely possible you got a defective unit, but I'd be pretty surprised. It's not impossible, but I wouldn't lean towards it right away.

For the GPU upgrade, did you fully remove any prior GPU drivers (for the stock R7 240)? If not, I'd suggest you do so - driver conflicts can cause all sorts of headaches and, while I wouldn't expect them to cause restarts necessarily, it's one less thing to troubleshoot.
DDU is a great tool to fully remove drivers (in safemode). https://www.guru3d.com/files-details/display-driver-uninstaller-download.html

TJ Hooker

Titan
Ambassador
Just to clarify, the power supply that's currently in your system is not the Seasonic you linked to, but instead some other 500W unit that the PC shipped with. Is that correct?

Edit: If so, could you post a picture of the label that's on the side of your current PSU? It'll have the rated power/amps per rail listed on it.

Edit2: Actually, as pointed out below, you should just return it if possible. Half the point of getting a pre-built is for the whole system warranty so that you don't have to deal with stuff like this.

Last edited:
Solution

Barty1884

Retired Moderator
Wow, good catch @TJ Hooker, I thought the PSU was replaced and it was defective!

@FhuxL where did you buy this system? If bought from a retailer like Newegg or Amazon (and are not just using their lsitings for demo purposes) honestly, I'd put it back to stock & return it. Buying a prebuilt should just 'work' out of the box.

Given it's a dated FX CPU and you should be looking at a GPU and PSU upgrade anyway, it's a waste of money. If you can get your money back, I'd highly suggest you do so.

By the time you invest in that system ($500ish), a new GPU ($100ish for a 1050?) and a new PSU ($50) you're in the setup for ~$650.

For that kind of money, there's better options out there.
Example:
https://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16883998640
i5-8400 + 1050TI