[SOLVED] Is this a good purchase?

adrian0883

Prominent
Nov 18, 2019
I'm currently in the market for a new computer and I'm wondering if this system is ok:

https://www.walmart.com/ip/HP-Pavil...-453-16e48f25d112d0&athancid=null&athena=true

I only have about a $500 budget for the tower since I have to also buy a 27 inch monitor and a new cell phone. I would like to play some games like GTA V, Mortal Kombat 11, and Assassins Creed Origins and do some audio and video editing since I'm interested in learning more than the basics that most editing software provides. One day I would like to learn how to use Photoshop as well. I mainly look at 1080p video or lower so 4K is not on my radar right now. Is this a good purchase for my budget?

Solution
No, that system is really not very decent plus it's refurbished, which means somebody has already has issues with it before.

Generally we recommend doing this yourself, because you can usually get a much more capable system for a lot less, but it does require at least a few basic tools like a screwdriver and a pair of pliers, and some basic handiness to be capable of assembling the system. Honestly, I know both 13 year olds and 83 year olds that have no issues putting a PC together so I believe it is something that MOST people can do easily, but I also understand there are some people who simply have a full hand full of thumbs and should just not ever get near anything that requires assembly. Knowing which type of person you are would...
No, that system is really not very decent plus it's refurbished, which means somebody has already has issues with it before.

Generally we recommend doing this yourself, because you can usually get a much more capable system for a lot less, but it does require at least a few basic tools like a screwdriver and a pair of pliers, and some basic handiness to be capable of assembling the system. Honestly, I know both 13 year olds and 83 year olds that have no issues putting a PC together so I believe it is something that MOST people can do easily, but I also understand there are some people who simply have a full hand full of thumbs and should just not ever get near anything that requires assembly. Knowing which type of person you are would go a long ways towards being able to offer you the best advice in your case but if you think you can install a few screws, route a few cords and plug a few connectors in, as well as insert a CPU into a motherboard socket and insert a pair of memory modules into the appropriate slots, then you could just do this yourself and end up not only with a better system but some knowledge that would go a long way towards not being reliant on somebody else to do this, or perform upgrades, for you, in the future.

Solution
What is your full budget for the system AND the monitor, together, and what country are you in?

Do you currently have a computer with Windows 7, 8 or 10 installed on it that will NOT need to continue to use that operating system after you build the new system, so that the OS can be transferred to the new system and you won't need to buy a Windows license?

adrian0883

Prominent
Nov 18, 2019
The monitor is going to cost around $200 if I buy it brand new so my whole budget is $700. I have never fully assembled a computer. Only installing optical drives and video cards. I would prefer to buy one that is already assembled for now.