Question Is this a good time to upgrade to Windows 11?

modeonoff

Honorable
Jul 16, 2017
Hello, I am using Windows 10 Professional 64-bit. I am considering to upgrade to Windows 11. Is this a good time to do so?

I am checking with Gigabyte about TPM on my Z390 motherboard. Am I correct that if they included a software/firmware based TPM on my motherboard, it is still better to get a TPM 2.0 card for better security?

modeonoff

Honorable
Jul 16, 2017
Thanks. If I want to clean install Win 11, shall I perform a backup under Win 10 first, install Win 11 and then restore everything from the backup under Win 10 to Win 11 (will this work?) or just copy user data to an external drive, install Win 11 and all programs. Then, manually copy back the files from an external drive to my PC?

Colif

Win 11 Master
shall I perform a backup under Win 10 first, install Win 11 and then restore everything from the backup under Win 10 to Win 11 (will this work?)
I don't think that would work. I suspect it would just reinstall windows 10 from the backup
The manual copy would likely be only way to do it If you only have one drive in PC.

For as long as I can remember, I have always had 2 drives in my PC. Left over from ancient times when I found it easier to have all my library folders on a 2nd drive just so I don't lose everything when I clean installed. Its not so essential now I can put most of my files on cloud servers.

I would just upgrade 10 to 11 without a clean install. I don't think you need the extra security features that much to mess with installing windows.

modeonoff

Honorable
Jul 16, 2017
For the Mac, we could use TimeMachine to backup. Then, buy a new machine with a more recent version of the OS and use TimeMachine to move all the user data and programs to the new machine. So Windows 10 does not have such function?

Still have not heard from Gigabyte support. I don't see any TPM firmware in the BIOS. However, from the specs, I know there is a TPM port on the motherboard. Sounds like I need to buy a TPM card. Problem is no reputable big online store is selling it. On Amazon and Newegg, it is sold by 3rd party sellers. Is it recommended to buy a TPM made by Gigabyte rather than by other brands? In case of buying from unknown 3rd party seller, do I need to worry that they may have tempered the card and by installing it on my PC, it makes it less secure?

Colif

Win 11 Master
For the Mac, we could use TimeMachine to backup. Then, buy a new machine with a more recent version of the OS and use TimeMachine to move all the user data and programs to the new machine. So Windows 10 does not have such function?

No but it would be nice to have.

Intel call tpm PTT - Intel Platform Trust Technology

Many days of searching and I hope this helps someone.
Bios mode = Advanced
In my Z390 Aorus, this setting for on chip TPM is available in miscellaneous, then enable PTT
In later Z390 boards, they put the PTT toggle under Peripherals.
https://www.thurrott.com/forums/microsoft/windows/thread/how-to-enable-tpm-on-gigabyte-z390-boards

Intel® Platform Trust Technology (Intel® PTT) - Intel® Platform Trust Technology (Intel® PTT) offers the capabilities of discrete TPM 2.0. Intel PTT is a platform functionality for credential storage and key management used by Windows 8* , Windows® 10 and Windows* 11. Intel PTT supports BitLocker* for hard drive encryption and supports all Microsoft requirements for firmware Trusted Platform Module (fTPM) 2.0.

Reactions: modeonoff

modeonoff

Honorable
Jul 16, 2017
Thanks. In the manual, they wrote PTT but on the actual BIOS, it is under Trusted Computing.

After I enabled it and rebooted the PC, I went to the search box to search for "PC Health Check”. However, there seems to be no such application installed.

modeonoff

Honorable
Jul 16, 2017
Thanks

tpm.msc shows that my PC has TPM 2.0

Windows Health Check also states that my PC satisfies the requirements for Windows 11. I saw a check in green circle in all categories. It states that Windows 11 is planned to be released in recent days for free. However, when I clicked on device specs, it points me to a MS site saying that:

"This PC will run Windows 11
Your PC is eligible for a free upgrade to Windows 11. Check again soon if Windows 11 is not ready yet for this computer. Upgrade timing may vary by device."

Am I supposed to wait for Windows 11 upgrade to show up?

Another strange thing is that when I clicked the "Check now for free upgrade" link from that MS site, Settings->Windows Update is opened. Even I got the latest updates, there is still a cross in a red circle saying that my PC has not satisfied the requirements to update Windows 11.

Last edited:

Colif

Win 11 Master
Am I supposed to wait for Windows 11 upgrade to show up?
it should have offered itself by now, its been out a year.

Since you ready, go here:
click top link
run installation assistant, it should upgrade install to windows 11
https://www.microsoft.com/software-download/windows11

there is still a cross in a red circle saying that my PC has not satisfied the requirements to update Windows 11.
Windows update has been known to get confused before. If tool says you can, you should be able to.

modeonoff

Honorable
Jul 16, 2017
I checked Widows Update today. Unlike yesterday, now the status is changed to "This PC can run Windows 11 Great news - your PC meets the minimum system requirements for Windows 11. Specific timing for when it will be offered can vary as we get it ready for you. Note: Some Windows 10 features aren't available in Windows 11. Certain apps and features may have additional requirements."

Hello, I am using Windows 10 Professional 64-bit. I am considering to upgrade to Windows 11. Is this a good time to do so?

I am checking with Gigabyte about TPM on my Z390 motherboard. Am I correct that if they included a software/firmware based TPM on my motherboard, it is still better to get a TPM 2.0 card for better security?

My advice is to wait another year or two, never be in the early adopter group unless your are an enthusiest who likes to solve problems. Windows 11 code base isn't very stable right now with them adding / changing stuff due to it's relatively recent launch. In another year or two it'll become stable as they start focusing more effort on Windows 12 to be released sometime around 2026. Safest spot is a generation an a half behind the front.

modeonoff

Honorable
Jul 16, 2017
After doing some Windows 10 updates and rebooted, the status is changed to "Coming soon: Windows 11, version 22H2 Windows 11, version 22H2 is on its way to your device. There's nothing that requires your attention at the moment. Once the update is ready for your device, you'll see it available on this page."

I guess it may be available within a day.

How much performance drop if I just do an update vs. a fresh install? Most sites suggested doing a fresh install for "extra" performance.

After doing some Windows 10 updates and rebooted, the status is changed to "Coming soon: Windows 11, version 22H2 Windows 11, version 22H2 is on its way to your device. There's nothing that requires your attention at the moment. Once the update is ready for your device, you'll see it available on this page."

I guess it may be available within a day.

How much performance drop if I just do an update vs. a fresh install? Most sites suggested doing a fresh install for "extra" performance.

Shouldn't be any performance difference. After Windows 10 Microsoft went to a different update model that lets them swap out the entire thing without impacts. What the install is actually doing is replacing the Windows folder itself, after making a backup of everything then reinstalling the drivers on first boot. You might have to manually install drivers if Windows couldn't' successfully transfer them.

D

Deleted member 14196

So far windows 11 is pretty stable. I haven’t had any issues whatsoever and all I did was upgrade windows 10.

modeonoff

Honorable
Jul 16, 2017
I have some old programs developed under Boland C++ Builder 6.0 about 20 years ago. Does Windows 11 has some sort of compatibility mode that would allow me to run Builder 6.0 with full compatibility?

modeonoff

Honorable
Jul 16, 2017
Just checked Windows Update. It says that Windows 11, version 22H2 is scheduled to be available in recent days. When I clicked the details, it says:

"Safeguard holds affecting your device
This page offers information on known issues affecting your device and temporarily preventing it from being offered the upgrade to Windows 11. In this case, these issues are referred to as safeguard holds. Safeguard holds ensure you have a positive experience as your device moves to a new version of Windows. The lifespan of a hold varies. Once the originating issue is resolved, the corresponding hold is lifted.
The information on this page is tailored when accessed directly through Windows Update Settings on your device. For more information, see KB5006965."

Under Filter, there is a known issue "Lower than expected performance in some games Windows, Windows 11 OS Build 22621 Confirmed.

Shall I wait or go ahead to download the program to update to Windows 11 manually?