Question Is this a good time to upgrade to Windows 11?

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

modeonoff

Honorable
Jul 16, 2017
Hello, I am using Windows 10 Professional 64-bit. I am considering to upgrade to Windows 11. Is this a good time to do so?

I am checking with Gigabyte about TPM on my Z390 motherboard. Am I correct that if they included a software/firmware based TPM on my motherboard, it is still better to get a TPM 2.0 card for better security?

modeonoff

Honorable
Jul 16, 2017
My advice is to wait another year or two, never be in the early adopter group unless your are an enthusiest who likes to solve problems. Windows 11 code base isn't very stable right now with them adding / changing stuff due to it's relatively recent launch. In another year or two it'll become stable as they start focusing more effort on Windows 12 to be released sometime around 2026. Safest spot is a generation an a half behind the front.

Sounds like there is another reason to wait.

Microsoft Confirms Windows 11's Latest Update Lowers Game Performance (thegamer.com)

Colif

Win 11 Master
Updating to win 11 using the assistant is the same as installing a win 10 update, i only noticed it wasn't win 10 when i got to desktop and the start button was in the wrong place. It doesn't need as much preparation as you have made to do it.

You also get up to 60 days to change your mind, provided you extend it

so if you don't like it, just roll back.

Yep, stuff like this is expected as they introduce new features and benefits. Now once they start working on Windows 12 they will shift focus off 11 and they won't be changing major subsystems anymore. That is when it'll be safe to move to Windows 11. Basically always be at least a half generation behind. The early adopters will scream that people are rubes and technophobes for not immediately jumping on the bandwagon, but you will have a better day to day experience.

Last edited:
Hey guys, I'm looking to build a new gaming rig soon, very possibly with a i7-13700K, RTX 4090, and Z790 MB. So naturally I'm looking at putting W11 on it. The main thing that concerns me is one of the Known Issues Microsoft released in their 22H2 update that just came out...

Lower than expected performance in some games
Some games and apps might inadvertently enable GPU performance debugging features, which might lower performance.

...so I'm hoping some of you W11 users here are avid gamers like me and can tell me whether this has been an issue for you? It's mainly worrisome because the only thing they offer as a possible workaround is "you might be able to resolve it by updating your games and gaming related apps to the latest version available". So it appears there's no way to manually turn off GPU performance debugging in W11. Or maybe MS is just reluctant to tell users how to for fear they might muck something up by not following instructions well.

Last edited:

Colif

Win 11 Master
editors are unlikely to read this.

if its announced I am sure they will report it.

it only happened a week ago, I doubt the Game performance problem has been fixed unless the cause was Nvidia drivers. No updates from Windows Update this week.

Last edited:
Windows 10 just told me that Windows 11 22H2 is now ready for installation. Does that mean they have fixed the game performance issue?
Are you sure it said W11? W10 had a 22H2 update too.

At any rate, after updating W10 22H2 completely with the performance and reliability updates that came after updating from 21H1, I now get much better performance in A Plague Tale Requiem. There's been no performance patch for this game since I last played it, so I'm pretty sure it was these updates, plus maybe a bit due to a BIOS update I did on my MB, which also included performance and stability fixes.

The FPS still dips a bit at times, but usually only down to 45 FPS, vs sub 40 before, and this is with the settings now bumped up to Ultra. The main difference is it plays a lot smoother. There's a very subtle hitch every now and then, which I'm pretty sure has to do with assets loading in transition areas. It's an in house engine Asobo uses for this game, but this subtle hitch is not unlike what you see in a lot of UE 4 games, in fact it's more subtle than some of those cases.

Regarding W11 and that game performance glitch where debugging enables itself, I doubt it's been fixed yet, or there would have been widespread news about it, as well as evaluations on it probably.

modeonoff

Honorable
Jul 16, 2017
Just double checked. Windows Update says Windows 11 version 22H2 is now available for free. The button to download and install is now available. There is also a dimmed but selectable option to continue to use Windows 10.

Just double checked. Windows Update says Windows 11 version 22H2 is now available for free. The button to download and install is now available. There is also a dimmed but selectable option to continue to use Windows 10.
As myself and others have said, W11 22H2 probably isn't properly bug fixed yet regarding game performance, so I would wait for an update to fix that problem, and make sure W11 users are saying it actually fixes game performance issues before installing it, free or not. Also, make sure you check whether it's actually free, or a free trial for X amount of time.

modeonoff

Honorable
Jul 16, 2017
As myself and others have said, W11 22H2 probably isn't properly bug fixed yet regarding game performance, so I would wait for an update to fix that problem, and make sure W11 users are saying it actually fixes game performance issues before installing it, free or not. Also, make sure you check whether it's actually free, or a free trial for X amount of time.

OK. If I am getting tired of the Windows 10 user interface, are there software that I could try to make it look different?

I’ve been pretty happy with windows 11. No major issues really.
Same here.
Good to know, I certainly have a lot more confidence in it now that I know W10 22H2 works well with the performance updates added to it. The only thing I'm waiting on for my new build is a ATX 3, Gen 5 compatible PSU, and a Gen 5 GPU, but that in itself could take some time.

modeonoff

Honorable
Jul 16, 2017
Good to know, I certainly have a lot more confidence in it now that I know W10 22H2 works well with the performance updates added to it. The only thing I'm waiting on for my new build is a ATX 3, Gen 5 compatible PSU, and a Gen 5 GPU, but that in itself could take some time.

Does W10 22H2 working well mean W11 2H2 working well too?

Windows 11 update is definitely available on my PC. When I turned it on, a big sign of Windows 11 showed up and asked whether I want to update or remain at Windows 10.

Does W10 22H2 working well mean W11 2H2 working well too?

Windows 11 update is definitely available on my PC. When I turned it on, a big sign of Windows 11 showed up and asked whether I want to update or remain at Windows 10.
It's probably going to depend on what games you play, as MS has stated the only workaround for now if you get the GPU debugging issue that affects performance is to try to update the game itself. This also tells me it might be only some of the more obscure games that aren't coded well for W11 that have this problem, but I'm not sure on that.