[SOLVED] Is this a good upgrade?

carsonbrommerich

Prominent
May 1, 2018
Hello, right now in my system, I have a i7-4770S and a gtx 760 192 bit. I noticed that in games, my cpu usage will be low while my gpu is always 100%. Someone told me that I need to upgrade my gpu. I did some research and was thinking about getting this gpu and this power supply with it because right now I only have a 450w one. Would this be a good cpu and gpu pair? I also stream, but can't stream the most intense games because it lags really bad, so I'm hoping this will help with that also. Thank you in advance.

Solution
I see. The RX 590 only uses 5 more watts (assuming you dont oc) than the GTX 760.
Although the power supplies in prebuilts tend to be the bare minimum amount that the system needs, you probably won't need to upgrade.
If you want to be safe though, you can upgrade the power supply.
I assume you are doing 1080p gaming. If this is so, the RX590 is a very capable card.
As for PSU, you may not need to upgrade, but I would need a full specs list to determine that.
I may be wrong, but that Thermaltake PSU doesn't seem good. I'd say spend a bit more and get a Corsair CXM

carsonbrommerich

Prominent
May 1, 2018
I assume you are doing 1080p gaming. If this is so, the RX590 is a very capable card.
As for PSU, you may not need to upgrade, but I would need a full specs list to determine that.
I may be wrong, but that Thermaltake PSU doesn't seem good. I'd say spend a bit more and get a Corsair CXM
I have an asus prebuilt that I am upgrading so I'm sure the thermaltake is at least better than the one I have now. And for the full spec list and I 12gb ram, an ssd and 2 hard drives. I have no idea for the motherboard.

I see. The RX 590 only uses 5 more watts (assuming you dont oc) than the GTX 760.
Although the power supplies in prebuilts tend to be the bare minimum amount that the system needs, you probably won't need to upgrade.
If you want to be safe though, you can upgrade the power supply.

Solution
Aug 14, 2019
I do believe any rx570, 580,or 590 will be just fine for 1080p gaming. Heck, my 480 4GB still does just fine. I have a 600 watt bronze Thermaltake psu that I have used for 5 years with no problems.

The cost for a 590, and a decent PSU, you are looking at a similar price, to that of a 1660ti. Faster, and less power hungry than even the GTX 760.

PCPartPicker Part List

Video Card: Asus GeForce GTX 1660 Ti 6 GB Phoenix OC Video Card ($259.99 @ Newegg)
Total: $259.99
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2019-08-14 09:47 EDT-0400

Well the GTX 670 has similar power draw to an RX 590, so a power supply upgrade probably wouldn't be needed anyways.

logainofhades

Titan
https://www.guru3d.com/articles-pages/radeon-rx-590-powercolor-red-devil-review,6.html

This is Guru3D's generic power supply recommendation for the series:
  • AMD Radeon RX 570 - On your average system the card requires you to have a 450 Watt power supply unit as minimum.
  • AMD Radeon RX 580 - On your average system the card requires you to have a 500 Watt power supply unit as minimum.
  • AMD Radeon RX 590 - On your average system the card requires you to have a 500~550 Watt power supply unit as minimum.

https://www.guru3d.com/articles-pages/msi-geforce-gtx-1660-ti-gaming-x-review,7.html .

We rate this card at a ~116 Watt TDP in its out of the box configuration. Here is our power supply recommendation:
  • GeForce GTX 1660 Ti - On your average system we'd recommend a 450 Watt power supply unit.

Well I was able to run a GT 1030 on a 240W power supply (in a prebuilt) despite its recommendation for a 300W power supply, and after I sold it to a friend, he was able to run it on a 180W power supply.

If he's been running a GTX 670 fine, a 590 should work too, as it only has 5W higher TDP than the 670.
Although with the budget left over from not upgrading a power supply, getting a 1660 Ti would be a wise choice

Jul 28, 2019
Hello, right now in my system, I have a i7-4770S and a gtx 760 192 bit. I noticed that in games, my cpu usage will be low while my gpu is always 100%. Someone told me that I need to upgrade my gpu. I did some research and was thinking about getting this gpu and this power supply with it because right now I only have a 450w one. Would this be a good cpu and gpu pair? I also stream, but can't stream the most intense games because it lags really bad, so I'm hoping this will help with that also. Thank you in advance.
100% gpu usage is normal you don't have a bottleneck, in some games on low settings you will get usage. I would go for GTX 1660 instead of RX 590.