Question Is this a GPU issue?

Hey there.

I've had a similar issue with an EVGA GTX1060 SC. It would come and go randomly like that. Extremely hard to even replicate. In the end, I had to RMA the card, as the port itself was faulty. Can you try the cable in a different port to be sure, as opposed to a different cable. If you have a DP on the monitor it might be worth trying that instead of HDMI.

Captorski

Commendable
Apr 21, 2016
I just switched to hdmi from dp just to see if it happens.
I used my roommates dp cable and it did the same thing, i also used different dp ports on the card.
Now im trying to make it happen again, im using a video playback. So im guessing if it was the card the video would also go black in playback, if not it might be the monitor.

Captorski

Commendable
Apr 21, 2016
I just put my video card into my roommates computer for 3 days with no issue. Put it back in mine within 4 hours black screening again. Leads me to believe its motherboard or power supply. Thoughts?

It could be the either. How old is the PSU? Please link the exact model, so I can take a look at it. It's possible if it was over 3-5 years old, that it is not providing enough power. PSU's degrade over time. It will be out of warranty I expect, so getting a new one would be a good idea anyway, and possibly fix the problem. If your room mate was agreeable, you could try his PSU to see, and then purchase a new one if he problems stops

Captorski

Commendable
Apr 21, 2016
Optimistic update.
I put my video card in the second pci slot and for the last 24 hours haven't had a black screen.

I'm waiting out the weekend to make sure I'm not over zealous lol

Also, thank you for the help and ideas you gave

Last edited: