Is this a Graphic Card burnout?

vijayTgamer

Honorable
Oct 24, 2012
Hi friends,
I have a Nvidia GTX 260 installed on my PC. Its almost 3 years now. In recent times whenever i play a game the display goes off and the Monitor enters to sleep mode. But the fans in the system still running, at certain times there is high pitching sound and low pitching sound from the system. I have replaced the 600w SMPS and this still it happens.

Everything goes fine until i play the games, the game gets struck in the middle and the monitor goes off. After i press the restart button, the system loads up but from now on even without playing the game the display goes off anytime randomly. I am really confused whether its GPU fail or CPU fail.

Help me people!
Thanks in advance!

Solution
I would suspect it's the video card, from the description you've given. You can try running memtest86 overnight, and Prime95 if you want to be sure your CPU and RAM are ok.

Is it possible that your issue is drivers?
Is it possible that you are having issues with a specific game, or a few games? (Try something older that you know has worked in the past)

If you go into dxdiag, will your system crash when running the "Test DirectDraw", how about "Test Direct3D"?

vijayTgamer

Honorable
Oct 24, 2012

Yes the fans and heat sinks are clean and properly ventilated.

djscribbles

Honorable
Apr 6, 2012
I would suspect it's the video card, from the description you've given. You can try running memtest86 overnight, and Prime95 if you want to be sure your CPU and RAM are ok.

Is it possible that your issue is drivers?
Is it possible that you are having issues with a specific game, or a few games? (Try something older that you know has worked in the past)

If you go into dxdiag, will your system crash when running the "Test DirectDraw", how about "Test Direct3D"?

Solution

vijayTgamer

Honorable
Oct 24, 2012

You are right. Its a Graphic Card Burnout. Ive changed my Nvidia GTX 260 card to Nvidia GTX 560, now everything is working superfine :bounce:

vijayTgamer

Honorable
Oct 24, 2012

If you go into dxdiag, will your system crash when running the "Test DirectDraw", how about "Test Direct3D"?[/quotemsg]

You are right. Its a Graphic Card Burnout. Ive changed my Nvidia GTX 260 card to Nvidia GTX 560, now everything is working superfine :bounce: