Is this a graphics card issue?

matty123doughty

Prominent
Jan 11, 2018
Hello, I only have a basic knowledge of computers and I need help with this. Are these videos examples of graphics card issues, if not, what is causing this?

(Turn on audio for videos, all audio was coming through my headphones)

This all happened during the same game of rocket league and has been happening a lot recently even if I am not playing a game.

Sorry for the bad videos and recording vertically.

Video 1 (Game froze, flashed a black screen and returned to game): [video="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=67ROXYZDEeg"][/video]

Video 2 (I don't even know what happens here, this happens a lot when I don't have any game launched): [video="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gujqyMF3NVk"][/video]

Video 3 (Got stuck on this screen and had to switch off PC): [video="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lbHfSCpMtN8"][/video]

Solution
Is it possible you can find out your PSU? Open the case, see the model or brand list it here. What prebuilt is this? Where did you get it from?
Sounds, at this point, like lack of power. Try with a spare GPU.

matty123doughty

Prominent
Jan 11, 2018

Okay, I am doing what you said and I will let you know if I continue to have issues.

matty123doughty

Prominent
Jan 11, 2018

So how would I know if it is my PSU or GPU causing the issue? I don't want to spend a lot of money on a new card to find the PSU being the problem.

One thing at a time. To rush to a defective gpu is a big claim without any real troubleshooting. He would just be hitting thermal limits and card may not be damaged. He could just have faulty drivers, not enough power delivery etc....

Provide system specs and do the DDU, install clean drivers and monitor temps. It's almost always the first step in troubleshooting gpus.

matty123doughty

Prominent
Jan 11, 2018

CPU: i7 6700k
GPU: GTX 970
PSU: 500W, don't know about the model as my PC is pre built.
RAM: 8GB G. Skill Ripjaw DDR4 2133mhz

matty123doughty

Prominent
Jan 11, 2018

I did the DDU and I am still having problems.

Temps (on desktop):
LAhFOTr_TBymXQ4qWCxUZQ.png

Specs: 500W PSU
eUQF5FYJQ8ayBvVdy7E6Rw.png

matty123doughty

Prominent
Jan 11, 2018

When under load my GPU doesn't exceed 80 degrees, it is usually around 70-78 and I don't believe my GPU is overclocked unless it is factory OC'd.

matty123doughty

Prominent
Jan 11, 2018

Yes, should I move my GPU onto the other PCI slot then?
If I do that will my PC boot normally and detect the GPU or would I have to do something in the BIOS or anything like that?

matty123doughty

Prominent
Jan 11, 2018

I switched PCI slots and tested a couple of games and it seems to be working alright for now, I will update you if it starts to cause problems again, thanks a lot for the help!
Is there any chance I can just pm you if it messes up again? Thanks.

matty123doughty

Prominent
Jan 11, 2018

Okay so after switching PCI slot, I had no issues for a day but it has started to go bad again and I am getting some kind of screen glitches, similar to what happens in the second video.