Is this a 'hub' for my ethernet wall jacks? How to make my ethernet wall jack work

Status
Not open for further replies.

shainamae98

Prominent
Nov 7, 2017
So I've always had this wire sticking out in my room and haven't bothered it until now. I'm planning to build a pc and I'd rather want an ethernet connection instead of buying a wifi card. This is an ethernet port right?
9QPEXSH.jpg

can't be a phone jack because there's two right next to it....
When I tried connecting to it using my laptop, it doesn't work. My modem is in the bonus room which is just right outside my room. I've googled many times and found that there should be a 'hub' to activate ethernet wall ports but really i couldn't find anything even in the basement closet where our power switches are. Then I wondered if this would be it.
xYjeBEB.jpg

That hole at the top, that's where it goes to my room. Then there's also a lose phone cable here... Notice that there's two wires in the ethernet plate. One of them is the wire that connects to my ethernet wall jack and the other one is connected to another wall jack in the same room(of this). So I was thinking, 2 slots for 2 ethernet ports? If I connect these two slots to the modem using an ethernet cable, would the two wall jacks be active? Oh and my modem is in the other corner of this two port jack thing... so if my guess is right, I might just run a long ethernet cable from my modem to this. Also there's only two ethernet wall jacks in the whole house....and there's also a coax wall cable right beside the two port plate. So i can't help thinking that this area should've been where the router should be...So it's highly likely that my guess is right? you connect these to the modem to activate the other ethernet ports?...

I can read very light "Belden ISDN" label on the wall plate. This was a way (at least, in Europe) to get "faster" than 56k Internet before DSL and cable emerged as an option. Because of that ISDN, I doubt the Ethernet-like cable is terminated properly for Ethernet jack. Post good picture of how this cable ends into that wall plate.

You probably know that for a cable to work, it has to be plugged in both ends. You have one end on that wall plate, so you have to plug the other end in your router, or in a switch (hub) connected to your router.

shainamae98

Prominent
Nov 7, 2017
Oh it says Belden IBDN not ISDN. If that makes a difference...Yea so that’s what I’ve been trying to find out. Because the plate with the 2 ports branches out to two single ethernet jacks (in my room and another one in the same room as the jack with 2 ports), would the port in my room work if i connect the 2 port jack into my router? Like say it would be the ‘ethernet in’ and the two single ports would be the ‘ethernet out’. How the cable ends really it just branches out from the jack with the two ports.
1port ———— 2ports———— 1 port
Can’t take a pic right now as im not home but yea its connected just like that to eachother. I wanna make sure before i buy a really long ethernet cable to connect from router to the 2port jack...

A cable can only work if there is something attached to the other end (usually your router). And hubs or switches are active devices so could only work if they have a source of power--if there is no obvious source, then it is not a hub.

Not sure how the jacks are wired, but Belden IBDN cable itself is better than Cat6, being rated for 280MHz instead of 250. So at worst you could reuse the cable by putting a single Cat5e or Cat6 jack on each end. Add a switch if you need more ports.

shainamae98

Prominent
Nov 7, 2017
I actually tried connecting the box to the router and connected the port in my room to my laptop. No internet :/ doesn’t even recognizes it and the lights behind my router are not blinking or anything. It should...when an ethernet cable is connected... I’m gna try again when i get home but maybe it’s the wiring? I’ll take a picture inside the wall plates.

Was likely wired up for something other than etherent, wire all 4 plugs to T568B standards and should be good to go. There should be a color guide on the plugs. If they are so old that it only has 568A color code then just go ahead and wire it as 568A (only difference between the two is the orange and green wires are switched).

shainamae98

Prominent
Nov 7, 2017

Ct5oi5O.jpg

xbotz8Z.jpg

at the top it's says ps5 t568A
don't get the color guide though because my wires are different colors

shainamae98

Prominent
Nov 7, 2017

Oh those colored wires you see in the picture are the ones inside the cable. like see those 4 holes at the sides? those are where the cable goes through, from the backside to the inside. The top left hole is pretty much the cable, the white jacket just isn't showing. http://

So should I wire it in T568A formation? There's a color guide for the pins in the picture but i don't get the WB/BW WO/OW .... stuff

oh wait wait WB stands white blue...i just looked at pdf and my cable has light blue and blue instead as pairs instead of standard white blue and blue. so 1 would be light blue, 2 = blue, 3 = light orange, 4 = orange,... and so on?

shainamae98

Prominent
Nov 7, 2017

oops the link didn't show up This is the wire: LINK
so yea it's twisted. And from what I've seen, standard colors are striped orange, etc...but my wire uses light orange instead of striped-orange, but I think it's the same thing. From the order of the colored wires that you said, the seems t be a T568B orientation. Mine says in the circuit board T568A so wouldn't T568B work in mine? A person said previously that the only difference between the two is that the str-orange,orange and str-green,green are interchanged

shainamae98

Prominent
Nov 7, 2017

ok thanks, i'm going to try it once i get home...

Status
Not open for further replies.