is this a legitimate copy of windows 8.1 pro?

Solution
The above links is perfectly LEGAL, so you're fine as long as you purchased a legal key for the install disc.

Not sure what happened with that rep but it sounds like he doesn't know what he's talking about.

*My advice is just buy an official disc online. It's $128 from some stores->
http://pcpartpicker.com/part/microsoft-os-fqc06950

You can get the non-Pro version for as low as $90 after rebate so make sure you would benefit from the Pro version anyway.

Other:
An alternative is to use Windows 10 Technical Preview. It's not nearly as stable, but it may work just fine for you and it's free for now.

Thought so. Also a quick question. I was specifically told that by a Microsoft rep that i could download installation media form here: http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/windows-8/create-reset-refresh-media

And activate my windows after i bought a key. My windows hasnt been activated yet, and i was never prompted for a key during installation, or when creating the installation media FROM WINDOWS. I plan on buying one. I spoke to another rep today and he said I was a pirater and that he would shut down my PC if I didnt uninstall windows and call authorities to get me arrested for fraud? Is what he said true. How can we trust reps if they tell us two totally different things??? I am feeling paranoid! 0_o

The above links is perfectly LEGAL, so you're fine as long as you purchased a legal key for the install disc.

Not sure what happened with that rep but it sounds like he doesn't know what he's talking about.

*My advice is just buy an official disc online. It's $128 from some stores->
http://pcpartpicker.com/part/microsoft-os-fqc06950

You can get the non-Pro version for as low as $90 after rebate so make sure you would benefit from the Pro version anyway.

Other:
An alternative is to use Windows 10 Technical Preview. It's not nearly as stable, but it may work just fine for you and it's free for now.

Solution

Thanks! The reason i have pro is because I originally had a key from DreamSpark but now i do not have the opportunity to get it again. Since I installed Pro thinking i could use my key, Im stuck with it because I already set it up. Can I use a normal 8.1 key? Or will I have to re install the normal one? Thanks. My week has been going horrible. First a problem with my PC. Then had to re install windows. now my key is bad. WHATS NEXT! FML!

jaimelmiel

Honorable
May 7, 2012

It is a download. I would not do it. You want an OEM with the disc and key.

orlbuckeye

Distinguished

Down below under related products it's 65.00 for the media and the license which mean you get a DVD. Windows is available all over the place to be downloaded. You paying for the license not the media.
'

jaimelmiel

Honorable
May 7, 2012

You want the media disc in case you need to reinstall in the future. Unless he already has a Disc. Which he does not.

I do have a disc. I downloaded the ISO. I ended up buying the students version for 70 bucks on the MS site with my sisters college address. :) Havn't been in college for a while now.

pcmusic

Reputable
Nov 16, 2015
I purchased the most legitimate looking BRAND NEW sealed copy of Windows 8.1 Pro Full Version on eBay for $119. It won't activate. I am told by Microsoft support that it is NOT a legitimate Product Key. Unfortunately, I have no recourse with the creep that sold it or Ebay because the 30 day period has expired. BUYER BEWARE.

MFxDXO5.jpg

MORE THAN A YEAR OLD.

orlbuckeye

Distinguished

Windows itself isn't legit ot not legit. The license is what determines if it is legit. I would assume if you purchased the seller is the one in the wrong if the key is not valid. Mostly they told you i twas avalid key in their marketing.