[SOLVED] Is this a memory issue or something else?

DarqFX

Reputable
Jan 7, 2017
So i'm a beginner at working with 3D art, just creating renders and stuff. I noticed when i have a somewhat complex scene going on in the program (c4d+octane) and I try navigating through file explorer, my computer completely freezes. Like i can use the pogram fine, and I can navigate files fine, it's just when I do them at the same time my computer cannot handle it and locks up. Does this sound like a memory problem or maybe a problem with the drive?

Specs:
ryzen 5 2600
gtx 1080ti
corsair 8gb ddr4
ssd 500gb samsung evo
1tb barracuda

Solution
Your RAM is bottlenecking.

Now check it by following these instructions :
Click right on the windows icon and open the task manager.

Now do whatever the 3D art work you always do as usual.

Now check your RAM do you see it in the highs as 80's or 90's.

Then probably it is a RAM issue.

I am 100% sure that this a RAM issue. 8 GB of RAM is not enough for Graphics work related intensive work in a PC. You do need atleast 32 GB of RAM for these kind of Graphics Art work. If you can get 64 GB it is better.

Your Ram is bottlenecking.

DMAN999

Dignified
Ambassador
I'd guess that it may be due to the fact that you only have 8 GB of RAM which cause Cinema 4D / Octane to use the page file as temporary RAM.
So when you try and browse for files on the HDD/SSD that has the page file on it, it crashes.
The first thing I would do is check Event Viewer and see what Exact error it gives for the crash and we can go from there.

And Just FYI,
I personally would Not even bother using Cinema 4D and Octane unless I had 16 GB RAM minimum and preferably 32 GB RAM.

Last edited:

aakarshan

Distinguished
Nov 29, 2013
Your RAM is bottlenecking.

Now check it by following these instructions :
Click right on the windows icon and open the task manager.

Now do whatever the 3D art work you always do as usual.

Now check your RAM do you see it in the highs as 80's or 90's.

Then probably it is a RAM issue.

I am 100% sure that this a RAM issue. 8 GB of RAM is not enough for Graphics work related intensive work in a PC. You do need atleast 32 GB of RAM for these kind of Graphics Art work. If you can get 64 GB it is better.

Your Ram is bottlenecking.

Solution

TRENDING THREADS