Question Is this a Motherboard issue?

Jan 20, 2022
The issues started about 4 months ago. I was out of space on my 512GB nvme drive and decided I'd upgrade to a 1TB nvme drive. (Long story short, I wasn't able to clone the disk properly onto the new drive, so I just reinstalled Windows 10.)

Put the new card in, couldn't install Windows to it. Had to remove all my old drives in order to get it to install onto the new drive.

Started immediately getting major issues after I reinstalled my old drives. Blue screens of death, couldn't boot up into Windows, booting into the wrong Windows install despite the BIOS listing the correct drive as the boot drive.

Got a new SSD drive, and decided to install Windows onto that one instead of the nvme (which seemed to be losing data I'd write to it or having to be 'repaired' after the motherboard posted in order to load into it). The install went without a hitch onto it. Great, I think to myself, finally got my PC back.

Now it will have days where it refuses to boot up. Gets past the BIOS load up screen and goes into the Windows load up screen but just spins/loads forever and never loads into Windows.

Just now, the USB ports are now having problems. It'll randomly "flicker" the power to the USB ports which makes things disconnect and reconnect - or if I have too many things connected, then all the USB ports shut down until I remove enough devices. I ended up pulling everything out of the USB except my keyboard, mouse, and headphones because anything more than that makes it disconnect/reconnect everything.

My question is - do you think this is a motherboard issue?

I tried installing a new PSU to test if that was the issue, but the new PSU wouldn't even turn on at all. Swapped it back to the old PSU and it was able to turn the PC on like normal.

I'm incredibly frustrated at this point and just want it to be fixed. Any input I can get would be amazing.

ETA: Motherboard is an ASUS ROG Strix Z370-E.

Jan 20, 2022
Yea, everything aside from my bluetooth driver is up to date. The bluetooth is giving me an error saying that the file is bad and that it cannot install drivers for it. (I don't use bluetooth.)

Yea, everything aside from my bluetooth driver is up to date. The bluetooth is giving me an error saying that the file is bad and that it cannot install drivers for it. (I don't use bluetooth.)
Which BIOS version does your motherboard have?
Are all your drives partitioned to GPT or MBR? Mixing GPT and MBR drives can sometimes cause problems.
Can you give a better list of all the parts inside your PC?

Jan 20, 2022
I do not know which BIOS my motherboard has. I tried to flash it to a newer BIOS, but I think it failed and rolled itself back to the default BIOS.

I've run memory tests on my RAM and it's passed fine.

I've got the following in my PC:

ROG Strix z370-e
RTX 2070 Super
24GB RAM (G-skill)
850W PSU (Corsair)
i7-8700k
Currently running off of a 2TB SSD drive
Windows 10

If there's anything else you need to know, I can provide just let me know.

All of a sudden, my CPU is now struggling to work with programs that usually only take up a few % of the CPU. It's now running at 100% when I try to run those programs, making them unusable (they're art programs).

Jan 20, 2022
Update: Windows update, my BIOS flash, and my GPU driver all failed to install, and any driver I try to update in the Device Manager fail to install.

Jan 20, 2022
Yes.

Also now my computer doesn't think my GPU exists. I can see it in device manager with the yellow triangle, but I can't update the driver because the install fails. And now my screens that were connected to the GPU aren't working.

Yes.

Also now my computer doesn't think my GPU exists. I can see it in device manager with the yellow triangle, but I can't update the driver because the install fails. And now my screens that were connected to the GPU aren't working.
Have you tried removing the graphics card and boot using the onboard graphics, just to see if the problems go away without the graphics card installed.