Question Is this a motherboard issue?

Aug 29, 2022
I'm about 85% sure it is I just need someone more knowledgeable to confirm. I've had my acer predator g3 - 710 since 2016, it does the job since my gaming days have minimized to the occasional sims 4. My husband however likes a couple more graphic heavy games but the predator had no issue with them. He did have a bad habit of leaving the game running while getting distracted by a task. Despite my wife-like nagging that the computer is going to overheat and die, it still happened.

One day my computer was just dead no sign of power whatsoever. I assumed PSU so I grabbed one off amazon (which thankfully came with the pin tester adapter.) When I hooked it up, still no power so I pin tested it, it worked fine. So I pin tested the old PSU, it works! So it wasn't PSU after all. Now I don't know if you're supposed to, but I pin tested with everything connected except the 24 pin connecter obviously. Computer will turn on! But with the 24 pin connector pugged into the motherboard, I get no power, not one sign of life.. I don't see signs of anything being puffed up on the motherboard but I also cannot remember what it all looked like before..

Have I narrowed it down to the motherboard? or could it be something else?

Aug 29, 2022
Or CPU, or Memory, but yes, somewhere in that area.

Standard Micro ATX, no reason you can't swap it out for something better.

Is there a way to test them or is it trial and error? I'm considering taking it to a repair shop but like most people now a days I'm on a pretty tight budget and would prefer to fix it myself if possible.

Eximo

Titan
Ambassador
I doubt the board has diagnostic LEDs or anything that would indicate the problem. You need spare parts to test things like that so a shop is probably the best option. That or buying one part at a time and giving it a try, likely the most expensive option.

Or replace the CPU/Motherboard entirely. Any 2016 CPU could be easily replaced with a cheap late model i3.

You can try the memory you already have, and purchase some memory if it doesn't work. Basically a $100 diagnostic fee + a replacement part or just replacement parts that are faster.

https://www.cpubenchmark.net/compare/Intel-i3-10100-vs-Intel-i7-7700/3717vs2905

PCPartPicker Part List

CPU: Intel Core i3-10100 3.6 GHz Quad-Core Processor ($103.00 @ Amazon)
Motherboard: Asus PRIME H410M-E Micro ATX LGA1200 Motherboard ($79.98 @ Amazon)
Total: $182.98
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2022-09-01 09:53 EDT-0400

Some thoughts:

I would not worry about a pc overheating.
A processor will monitor it's own temperature and will slow down or turn off if it detects a dangerous temperature. About 100c.

What is the make/model of the PSU you bought?
PSU testers can only confirm a dead psu. It does not say anything about proper operation.

Yes, I would suspect a failing motherboard.
Unfortunately, the only way to test is to install a replacement.
See how much a local shop would charge. They will have other replacement parts to test with if needed.
Hopefully, the shop is honest. It is all too easy to scam the less knowledgeable.

If you buy a replacement motherboard, do so from a shop with a good return policy. Expect to pay a 15% restocking charge if you need to return it.