Question Is this a motherboard problem?

GMHague

Distinguished
Apr 23, 2014
Folks (bear with me) in my music studio I have Gigabyte GA-H55M USB-3 Mobo with i5 4-core CPU and 8GB ram, that's all admittedly getting a little long in the tooth, hosting Win 7/64. For recording purposes I have three HDD, one for system, one for recording audio files (F Drive), and one for storing sample libraries (E Drive). The USB-3 on the mobo has never been solid, for some reason, and even a third-party PCI card isn't brilliant either. Transfer rates ares always slow. But because until now I've been FireWire focused, it's not been a priority, and I've always assumed any USB 3.0 storage I've connected to be the problem.
But cutting to the chase, I've bought a 1TB SSD drive in a USB 3.0 caddy, now partitioned to emulate those E and F drives for when I'm working mobile on my laptop, a Toshiba Satellite on Win 10.
Everything works perfectly on the laptop.
On my studio PC none of the USB 3.0 will properly recognise the SSD device. At best, it discovers an I Drive with the audio files, but never the two partitions and never the correct drive letter assignment.

Bottom line, the USB 3.0 on the Gigabyte Mobo refuses to recognise the SSD, where as the laptop is fine. I've updated drivers and tried various BIOS tweaks, and always returned to Safe BIOS Defaults too. No luck.

In an ideal world, swapping between the two machines, I simply change the SSD across.

Any thoughts? Thanks in advance.

Folks (bear with me) in my music studio I have Gigabyte GA-H55M USB-3 Mobo with i5 4-core CPU and 8GB ram, that's all admittedly getting a little long in the tooth, hosting Win 7/64. For recording purposes I have three HDD, one for system, one for recording audio files (F Drive), and one for storing sample libraries (E Drive). The USB-3 on the mobo has never been solid, for some reason, and even a third-party PCI card isn't brilliant either. Transfer rates ares always slow. But because until now I've been FireWire focused, it's not been a priority, and I've always assumed any USB 3.0 storage I've connected to be the problem.
But cutting to the chase, I've bought a 1TB SSD drive in a USB 3.0 caddy, now partitioned to emulate those E and F drives for when I'm working mobile on my laptop, a Toshiba Satellite on Win 10.
Everything works perfectly on the laptop.
On my studio PC none of the USB 3.0 will properly recognise the SSD device. At best, it discovers an I Drive with the audio files, but never the two partitions and never the correct drive letter assignment.

Bottom line, the USB 3.0 on the Gigabyte Mobo refuses to recognise the SSD, where as the laptop is fine. I've updated drivers and tried various BIOS tweaks, and always returned to Safe BIOS Defaults too. No luck.

In an ideal world, swapping between the two machines, I simply change the SSD across.

Any thoughts? Thanks in advance.
Could be a problem with your OS and drive letters are not in the drive or partition but assigned by OS so they may not necessarily be same on two computers, maybe not even on same computer every time they are plugged in.

GMHague

Distinguished
Apr 23, 2014
Could be a problem with your OS and drive letters are not in the drive or partition but assigned by OS so they may not necessarily be same on two computers, maybe not even on same computer every time they are plugged in.
Thanks Mike, I realise the drive letters things ... it was more that the OS wasn't seeing the second partition. Probably I need a serious re-install. Cheers!