Is this a power supply problem? Or is one my components overheating?

mysterious_7

Honorable
Aug 15, 2012
After gaming for about a 30mins, sometimes more or less I get a black screen with no sound and the fans keep spinning normally! So it's not a total shut down of the system it's just a "No sound or display state" that the system goes through and would sit there like this endlessly if I don't reset it...

Can this be a power-supply issue by any chance? my system is overclocked but I took my time testing its stability very well so I am very sure it's not an overclock stability issue.. I don't get any BSOD(s) or display driver is not responding etc. as last year or the year before when I was still through the process of overclocking it and testing it's stability back then.. I tried reducing my GPU overclock but it hasn't fixed anything..

And one last question!

Do I need to move to the X79 platform.. how much gains will I be getting? Is all the new technologies like USB3.0, PCIe 3.0, SATA 3.0 worth it for gaming?

I only use my computer for gaming.. just 100% a pure gaming machine 24/7.. Sometimes I convert music videos and movies for my iPhone.. but that's about it.. Any other activities I use my computer for like internet surfing.. etc. will be rated lower than gaming and video conversion in terms of resources requirements so no need to go in details..

I figured out that I'll only be changing Motherboard and processor if I went with the X79 and i7 3960X. Everything else will carry forward to the new system.

Or should I use the cash to buy another GTX580 and a bigger power supply! Or may be look for a second hand 32nm i7 990X and overclock the hell out of it.. :p I am confused where my cash should be going next on my gaming rig.. I don't have any complains from my rig at the moment except the issue I mentioned above... hmmm

Can an i7 920 @4.0GHz run multi-GPU setups comfortably? like for e.g. 2x GTX590 in SLI or GTX580 in SLI.. etc. or would these GPU(s) be bottlenecked by the CPU?

I was one of the very first people in the world that bought the X58 and 1st Gen Core i7 in November 2008, 3 or 4 days after it was released I was sitting on my desk at home putting it together :) I was upgrading from a Phenom X4 9850 Black Edition and 790FX chipset and it was just the perfect timing for me to put my cash on Intel's new X58 platform and an ATI Radeon HD 4870X2 :D

Thanks in advance..

Here are my detailed system specs..

Motherboard: Gigabyte X58 Extreme (GA-EX58-EXTREME)..

http://www.gigabyte.com.au/products/product-page.aspx?pid=2957#ov

Processor: Core i7 920 4.01GHz C0 (It's a b*tch to overclock those chips past 4GHz with 2000MHz ram)
CPU Vcore: 1.472V
QPI/VTT Voltage: 1.580V
CPU PLL: 1.900V
QPI PLL: 1.200V
IOH Core: 1.260V
ICH I/O:1.500V
ICH Core: 1.260V

Ram: OCZ Reaper PC-16000 9-9-9-27 @2000MHz, 6GB (2GBx3)
DRAM Voltage: 1.680

Graphics card: GTX580 Gigabyte reference card (Manually overclocked)
Core Voltage (mV): 1.150
Core clock: 940MHz
Memory clock: 2450MHz

Expansion cards: (x3)
PCI Express 2.0 x16: (TV Tuner) hauppauge WinTV-HVR-2250 dual TV tuner (has two chips on-board)
PCI Express 2.0 x8: (Sound card) Creative Sound Blaster X-Fi Titanium HD (Audiophile Sound Card)
PCI: (Wifi network card) DWA-520 WIRELESS 108G PCI ADAPTER

Hard disks: (x4)
Kingston HyperX 120GB SSD (SH100S3120G) 120GB
Western Digital Caviar Black (WD2002FAEX) 2TB 64MB cache
Western Digital Caviar Black (WD1001FALS) 1TB 32MB cache
Western Digital Caviar Blue (WD5000AAKX) 500GB 16MB cache

Case/chassis: Cooler Master HAFx with:
2x top 200mm fans
1x front 230mm fan
1x rear 140mm fan (exhaust fan)
1x side 200mm fan (Blows on the graphics card area)
2x radiator fans 120mm

Water cooling system:
Corsair Hydro Series™ H100 Extreme Performance Liquid CPU Cooler with 122mm x 275mm x 27mm radiator size and 2x120mm fans

Power Supply:
Cooler Master GX 750W (Single 12 V Power Rail)

Is this power supply enough to fire up this system? Do I need a bigger PSU with more juice?

If the GX-750 has already been running the system stable then I think you've already answered the question on whether or not it is sufficient. The quality of the PSU is another issue completely... If it's the Enhance made unit (RS-750-ACAA-D3) then it is simply an OK unit; Review: http://www.xbitlabs.com/articles/cases/display/psu-550w-850w_3.html#sect0 but if it's the Seventeam made unit (RS-750-ACAA-E3) then it's not a good unit: http://www.jonnyguru.com/modules.php?name=NDReviews&op=Story&reid=188
With that much money in the rest of the system and the amount of OC that you're doing I would have put a top-end PSU in it to give reliable, clean, stable power to the system. You don't necessarily need a arger PSU, but I'd recommend a better quality PSU.

Are you getting the same freezing during stress tests (Furmark/Prime95)? have you checked the System Event log to get the error codes associated with the lock-up? Are all of your drivers updated? Game fully patched? Any hardware/software changes to the system before the lock-ups started happening? Are you monitoring the system temps and voltages? If yes, then what are they at idle and at full load?