Question Is this a PSU issue? RTX 3070 crashes.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sep 28, 2022
Hello.
I've built my first PC and I'm having an issue I'm trying to figure out. I don't really know much, except basics.

My build is:

Windows 10 pro 64-bit
CPU: i5-12600k
GPU: RTX 3070 (Inno3D twin x2 LHR)
PSU: Be Quiet! Pure power 11 600w (80+ Gold)
Motherboard: Msi Pro B660M-A wifi DDR4
Ram: Corsair Vengeance LPX CL16 3200mhz 16 gb (2 sticks of 8 gb)

Randomly while using the PC the screen flickers black fast once or twice for a second and then programs crash. Most of the times I have to restart the PC because it's unresponsive.
I don't know if it matters but when the crash happens while using chrome, it gives an "out of memory" error. Sometimes the game I'm playing crashes sometimes just freezes.

I've been told I need a 750w PSU, but I still find it weird my PC crashes even while just browsing.
I'm scared to still get this problem after replacing my PSU.

I've done memtest and there were no errors.
I tried to reset my motherboard's settings to default, xmp off, crashes still happen.
I've used DDU to uninstall and clean-reinstall nvidia's GPU driver, no change.

Can't find any errors with any OCCT test, or make the crash happen myself with any game or benchmark, it's always random.

Any insight or advice would be appreciated.
Thank you very much in advance.

Ralston18

Titan
Disk drive(s): make, model, capacity, how full?

Look in Reliability History and Event Viewer. Either one or both tools may be capturing some error codes, warnings, or even informational events just before or at the time of the flickers and crashes.

Start with Reliability History. Much more user friendly and the time line format can reveal patters.

Event Viewer is more cumbersome.

FYI to help:

http://www.tomshardware.com/faq/id-3128616/windows-event-viewer.html

What errors are being captured. You will probably see some Windows was not properly shut down errors. Some may be from when you were forced to restart the PC. Other erros, etc. may be for other reasons.

As for the PSU: How old? Condition (original to build, new, refurbished, used)? History of heavy use for gaming, video editing, or bit-mining?

That BeQuiet PSU may be near its' designed in EOL (End of Life) and starting to falter and fail.

Reactions: Dark Lord of Tech
Sep 28, 2022
Disk drive(s): make, model, capacity, how full?

Look in Reliability History and Event Viewer. Either one or both tools may be capturing some error codes, warnings, or even informational events just before or at the time of the flickers and crashes.

Start with Reliability History. Much more user friendly and the time line format can reveal patters.

Event Viewer is more cumbersome.

FYI to help:

http://www.tomshardware.com/faq/id-3128616/windows-event-viewer.html

What errors are being captured. You will probably see some Windows was not properly shut down errors. Some may be from when you were forced to restart the PC. Other erros, etc. may be for other reasons.

As for the PSU: How old? Condition (original to build, new, refurbished, used)? History of heavy use for gaming, video editing, or bit-mining?

That BeQuiet PSU may be near its' designed in EOL (End of Life) and starting to falter and fail.

I have 2 drives, one ssd (nvme) and one hdd.
Kingston NV1 1TB M.2 SSD, and Western Digital Blue WD40EZAZ 4TB

SSD (C: ) is 74% free and HDD (D: ) is 91% free space.

The PSU is brand new, I bought it from a store and put it together with everything else myself.

There are a lot of "stopped working" errors in the Reliability History. If I look at today's it also says Hardware error.

I took a few screenshots, I'm not sure what to make of it but I'll try to search around.
View: https://imgur.com/a/r2HZonf

Ralston18

Titan
Desktop Windows Manager.

Click on a few of those entries to see the technical details. Specifically any error codes that may be being captured. The error codes may or may not prove helpful.

My thought is that some initial power loss or shutdown corrupted files.

First try the built in Windows Troubleshooters. The trouble shooters may find and fix something.

Also try "sfc /scannow" and "dism".

References:

https://www.lifewire.com/how-to-use-sfc-scannow-to-repair-windows-system-files-2626161

How to use DISM command tool to repair Windows 10 image | Windows Central

It's always on 0% so I think not? How do I check to know for sure?
I will check if I have the latest driver for it.
I'm not asking if it's used, just if it appears in Device Manager. If it does make sure to manually find correct driver on Intel page and install the newest version (Windows does a very bad job of managing Intel drivers, to the point I had to force it to not update the driver automatically as it would often install older, non-working versions). There is an this weird error in one of Windows updates that causes older iGPU drivers to make memory leak and possibly crash of dwm.exe, and your reliability history shows a ton of these.

Sep 28, 2022
I tried the windows repair commands it said it repaired a file. Searching the error codes didn't help me find anything useful but I'm still looking.
I downloaded graphic drivers from Intel and it didn't help. I also tried to disable the iGPU at device manager and no change.

Currently trying to see if a windows full re-install will help. Might try to install an older Nvidia driver just to test.

Sep 28, 2022
The kingston RAM didn't change much.
I changed my PSU to a cooler master gold V2 750w and the issue is still there.

I managed to use the PC for like 6 hours until the screen went full black for like 5 seconds and when the display came back on everything crashed, and had to restart.

Going to try a really old Nvidia driver, and if that doesn't work I'll contact the store I got the GPU from. Wasted too much time and effort and money already.

Make sure your motherboard BIOS is updated to the most recent version as well.
I did update my BIOS. Also been told by Nvidia to change a few settings in the Nvidia control panel. No change at all.

What the hell are you doing with windows 10 and 12th gen intel, windows 10 doesnt know about p-cores and e-cores, you need windows 11 for optimal performance for your cpu.
I have no idea what that means. I just want my PC to work without crashing. Win 10 should work.

Sep 28, 2022
There is an this weird error in one of Windows updates that causes older iGPU drivers to make memory leak and possibly crash of dwm.exe, and your reliability history shows a ton of these.
It was the microsoft app store. I thought only windows update tries to download drivers.

I reinstalled windows again and didn't install anything else, no drivers nothing.
Drivers were downloaded by something. It took me a while to find out it was the goddamn microsoft app store (it didn't even show up, it wasn't open, nothing).
I disabled that and no crash since.

This is what i'm telling, it does not work as it should bcuz 12th gen was made with windsows 11 in mind. Or windows 11 was made with 12th gen in mind, long story short, it does not work properly on windows 10.
I will never ever in my life, not while I still breathe - Install windows 11. Even if you pay me. If I could I would be using windows 8.1.
Every time I update windows or switch to a new one this crap happens.

Reactions: Vic 40
Is this for real? If I had my choice I would probably still be on XP but I'm having similar issues to OP.
Got a better ideea, give up on electricity completly and go for traditional gas lamps. Even if you like or not things are progressing and latest hardware is best used on latest software, they are made to get along better, best exemple is 12th gen when introduced p-cores and e-cores, they needed to make the windows 11 from ground up around that ideea to have the best performance.
I repeat myself THINGS ARE EVOLVING and you cannot do anything about that, you either accept and learn the new way or stop using that object. I was harsh in this post but many things in technology are hold back bcuz some people think that is to complicated for old people and they dont lunch on the market or make the change in better, holding all of us back.

Status
Not open for further replies.