Is this a ram problem?

scubaslim

Distinguished
Sep 16, 2010
This morning I came down to my computer to find it running, but unable to wake up. I restarted it, but nothing shows up on the monitor. I have it hooked up to 2 monitors and neither one is showing anything. I tried switching from the video card to the motherboard and still nothing. I have a feeling the computer is not booting up because I can't access it through the network either. I am by no means an expert, so I appreciate it when people talk to me like I'm 5. Any ideas of what the problem could be or how to find out what it is would be great. Thanks!

Solution
To try a different power PSU, will help to eliminate the problem.

If it will work with a new PSU, problem solved, if not, lets keep looking.

PSU deteriorate over the time, like anything else.

Your PSU may have high/low spikes, that happens when capacitors starting to fail.

The longer the PSU works, the WATT's are getting lower.

Cheaper PSU's are using cheaper parts, so it dies quicker,

that's why u can see 500W psu for $30 and for $150 as well.

Even if the PSU turns on, it can be the problem. And often is.

scubaslim

Distinguished
Sep 16, 2010

Even if the PSU is not the problem in this case, for the love of god replace it, Logisys makes only the cream of the crap

something along the lines of a low powered Corsair, Antec, Seasonic, etc

scubaslim

Distinguished
Sep 16, 2010
No, I know what a GPU is. I just don't know what GPU is in my computer. I don't have another PSU, but I suppose it's cheaper than buying new RAM.

If it were the PSU, wouldn't it not power on at all? On a side note, what makes 1 PSU better than another? As long as it works, aren't they all the same?

scubaslim

Distinguished
Sep 16, 2010

re-seating the RAM will be the first thing I do when I get a chance tonight.

scubaslim

Distinguished
Sep 16, 2010
I re-seated the RAM and tried it in the other slot. Same problem. It powers on, but nothing happens.

So I guess the next step is to try a different power PSU? I guess I don't understand if its the PSU, why does it turn on at all?? Also would still like to know the benefits of getting a "better" PSU. Thanks

To try a different power PSU, will help to eliminate the problem.

If it will work with a new PSU, problem solved, if not, lets keep looking.

PSU deteriorate over the time, like anything else.

Your PSU may have high/low spikes, that happens when capacitors starting to fail.

The longer the PSU works, the WATT's are getting lower.

Cheaper PSU's are using cheaper parts, so it dies quicker,

that's why u can see 500W psu for $30 and for $150 as well.

Even if the PSU turns on, it can be the problem. And often is.

Solution