Is this a RTC/CMOS battery issue?

Status
Not open for further replies.

mbg10484

Distinguished
Jul 3, 2010
Hey as of lately (ever since loading a different/older version of XP) which I got from TPB my computer has not been keeping time. This is very very annoying with some programs that use the computers time for various things.

I've done a little searching on Google and such, and a lot of what I’ve come across points to it being a bad RTC battery... however I’m still not convinced. Most of what I've read says that when the RTC battery is bad that bios will loose its user defined settings (and revert back to default), or at the least reset the clock in bios/windows, or flash some sort of warning at start up. I have had NONE of these issues. All my bios settings stay how I set them. Windows clock does NOT reset, and I get NO warning what so ever...yet the clock does not keep time.

I've tried unselecting the "auto sync to internet time server" option and reselecting it and it makes no difference. I will reset the time manual, and click "apply" then sit and literally watch the seconds tick away for like 5 minutes and it seems to be working fine .... then I’ll check back 3,4,5 hours later and it will be way slow. and then 2,3,4 days later it will be stuck back on the day that I last manually changed it...although sometimes the seconds get "hung up" for maybe 2 seconds, it’s nowhere near enough to account for missing whole days. Then I'll go back in the clock again and besides those occasional "hang ups" I just mentioned it will seem fine again.. even though the clock is now days behind.

I don't wanna replace the battery unless I'm absolutely sure that is the cause of the issue as they cost $35-50 which is ridiculous. My laptop (Sony Vaio, VGN-FE770G) uses the type where it is like 2 button cell batteries shrink wrapped together with 2 wires coming out using a generic plastic 2-pin connector. I also don't know why its so expensive, there are some on eBay for $6 but it doesn't list my model as a compatible model even though they look identical and have the same listed specs, such as V & mAH

Solution
your using a pirate copy of xp? what do you expect... it to be clean and working... dont make me laugh... the only reason o.s's get put up on torrents is to spread malware.

COLGeek

Cybernaut
This is not a battery issue, per se. When your system is connected to a power source, it gets sufficient power to maintain clock settings. In your case, you described a system actually operating and the clock becoming inaccurate (slow).

What version of Windows are you using? And, is it fully up to date?

BTW, the eBay/battery question is valid. Those batteries can be expensive and they really shouldn't be. While not very complicated, it is important that the battery be wired properly, to the correct connector, in order to work. I would only buy from a reputable source.

Yes Battery is most likely suspect. CMOS batteries normally last from 3 to 5 years, how lod is the battery and does it keep time when the laptop is powered off after being reset to correct time??

Set time in Bios, turn laptop off for 6 to 8 hours. Turn back on. Recheck time in Bios. If time is incorrect then replace CMOS battery.

If time is correct then boot to safe mode and leave runing for extended time and recheck. if time is still correct then probably have a software problem, but unlikely.

CMOS battery symtems normally start out as loss of time, then progress to the Cmos error, ie time reset to OLD date and loss of some cmos settings.

@ Col Geek - I think almost all computers use an independent circuit for the RTC generator (The CMOS Battery) and no power from the PSU is applied. There were some computers that used rechargable batteries and the PSU power would supply power when powered on, but most have died out. The CMOS battery is normally a Non-rechargable silver oxide baterry that can explode if external power is applied.

COLGeek

Cybernaut

I agree that changing the battery will do no harm and could help, but if the system is on main power the power/clock issue should not be an issue. Good suggestion on verifying BIOS settings/time.

Looks like HEXiT really found the issue.

Status
Not open for further replies.