Question Is this a safe overclock for Ryzen 3 1200?

Elf_Knight

Honorable
Nov 9, 2013
I am using the stock Ryzen Wraith Stealth Cooler on an ITX B450 motherboard and managed to overclock it to 3800 mhz at 1.4 volts. Is that safe for long term use like gaming etc? Wanted to get slightly better fps cause my cpu bottlenecks my gpu in some games (RX 570). This is on a Corsair 550 watt psu. I am running Aida 64 and its okay so far. Hasn't frozen yet which has happened at previous attempts to OC my Cpu. What voltage should I set it to otherwise? Would my vrms burn up and stuff or is it safe?
EDIT: I changed the overclock because while it was stable I got temps of 95 degrees Celsius which was too high for my liking during an Aida 64 stress test for a few mintues. I lowered it to 3600 mhz on 1.4 volts and it is at 85-89 which is slightly better. What temps is the 3 1200 supposed to reach before it thermal throttles?

Last edited:

Lutfij

Titan
What model is that Corsair 550W PSU from? I'd have though about overclocking on that rig if I had some more headroom from the PSU considering there is n RX570 in there. You also should be looking at aftermarket cooling for that sort of an overclock. I also think you should try and achieve below 1.4v for your overclock for everyday use.

Just for added measure, list your specs like so:
CPU:
Motherboard:
Ram:
SSD/HDD:
GPU:
PSU:
Chassis:

Elf_Knight

Honorable
Nov 9, 2013
My CPU: Ryzen 3 1200
CPU cooler: Wraith Stealth Cooler (stock)
Motherboard: Asrock B450 ITX Ryzen
Case: Silverstone Sugo SG13B ITX
PSU: Corsair 550 watt: https://www.amazon.co.uk/Corsair-VS...s=corsair+psu&qid=1558545324&s=gateway&sr=8-5
Ram: 8gb ddr4 2400mhz crucial ballistix ram
SSD: 240gb kingston ssd
HDD: 1TB Western Digital Blue
Fans: 1 intake fan at the front

PSU mounted above the cpu cooler and mobo since it's a very small case. I benchmarked Assassin's Creed: Odyssey, Far Cry 5 and Battlefield 5. During all these games my CPU averaged 75-80 degrees Celsius though during BFV I think not sure which one it went up a few degrees sometimes and peaked at 90 but I didn't test for too long.
For Far Cry 5 and Assassin's Creed Odyssey it was stable at 75-80 C.

This is at an OC of 3600 mhz at 1.4 volts on the stock cooler. However I was worried about it going higher then 80 degrees so I reset it back to stock temps and during gaming the cpu never goes above 60 degrees Celsius instead averaging around 56 degrees during the Assassin's Creed: Odyssey benchmark.
I know I should get a better cpu cooler but it is an itx case so it can only accept a low profile cooler or 120mm AIO but I intend to carry my PC in a backpack soon to take it with me on the train and I don't want to break the AIO and cause it to leak.
Would a 120mm aio leak if I carry it around once in a while? Not too often but only on a train journey for a few hours.