[SOLVED] Is This A Sign Of A Dead Motherboard?

Apr 24, 2021
First of all my friend upgraded his pc by adding more hard drive into it. The first hard drive was from his old laptop and the other one is brand new which is there is no way it will cause any problems, but I forgot to re arrange the boot order. So instead booting from the main ssd that already in his pc, its booting from the old laptop hard drive which is slow af. Im a little bit suspicious with how it takes alot of time to boot from the hard drive, booting takes around 3 min and after getting into the windows its not responsive even he got a decent pc, It took 1 min to pop up windows start menu. But after that everything didint go as planned. Usually when i press the power button i can hear the fan going 100% and starts to run at the normal speed after one second or maybe half a second later (you know what i mean). But after booting from the old hard drive the fan doesnt do that little vroom after pressing the power button, also the system not post at all its just blank. I tried to clear cmos but nothing happened, the pc is just running with constant fan speed. After that happened i unplug all the sata cables hoping it will fix everything, also front panel connectors, even rgb mousepad and pheripherals, but it still doest post at all. I started to move every component to my working pc to diagnose which component is working. I literally moved everything ram sticks, cpu, gpu, even the psu, untill theres one thing left the motherboard. I suspect the motherboard as the cause of all these problems, because my friend always pirate everything. Games, softwares, even windows. So maybe the virus slows down everything and has corrupted the bios making the pc doent post at all.
The main problem is : Pc runs and fan spins but it doent post at all, the monitor is on sleep like nothing is plugged in to the hdmi cable (i've tried to change the source option on the monitor).

PC Specs
Ryzen 3 3100
Asrock B450M-HDV
Corsair Vengeance 2x8Gb 2666Mhz
Asrock Phantom Gaming RX 570 4G
Aerocool Lux 550w

Solution
Do you have another SSD or HDD? I've had this happen several times. Move a HDD to another computer and it responds slowly or not at all. Some issue with how they read the info. The MB can't decide what to do and just hangs. Try a different one after resetting the CMOS. Is there a system speaker hooked up?? You should be getting beep codes. Also try hitting the delete button repeatedly after you hit the power button and I would try a different video card if you have one - and/or monitor and cable. I once spent a week trying to diagnose a problem. I brought the tower home and tried to duplicate the problem. No issues I could find. Took it back and was talking to the person about it. Their screen went black and the computer rebooted. I...

RealBeast

Titan
Not the sign of a motherboard issue. The old drive was lucky to boot with all the wrong drivers. And yeah, a bunch of malware will slow down any system, assuming it continues to run at all.

Disconnect the old drive, boot from and then run the free version of kaspersky rescue disk, which is free and will run from CD or USB, on all the drives. Then boot from the SSD new install and keep what you want from his old drive and nuke the rest.

Apr 24, 2021
Not the sign of a motherboard issue. The old drive was lucky to boot with all the wrong drivers. And yeah, a bunch of malware will slow down any system, assuming it continues to run at all.

Disconnect the old drive, boot from and then run the free version of kaspersky rescue disk, which is free and will run from CD or USB, on all the drives. Then boot from the SSD new install and keep what you want from his old drive and nuke the rest.

I can't do that, the pc doesnt output anything at all. Usually if i turn on the system without any hard drive it will show this screen. But in my case it doesnt do that at all, how i even can boot from a fresh windows.

shafted

Honorable
Dec 13, 2017
Do you have another SSD or HDD? I've had this happen several times. Move a HDD to another computer and it responds slowly or not at all. Some issue with how they read the info. The MB can't decide what to do and just hangs. Try a different one after resetting the CMOS. Is there a system speaker hooked up?? You should be getting beep codes. Also try hitting the delete button repeatedly after you hit the power button and I would try a different video card if you have one - and/or monitor and cable. I once spent a week trying to diagnose a problem. I brought the tower home and tried to duplicate the problem. No issues I could find. Took it back and was talking to the person about it. Their screen went black and the computer rebooted. I happened to have another video cable with me and that fixed it. Often times it's the little things we miss.

Reactions: Pavendax
Solution